Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bluebutterfly(notloggedin) ( )
Date: October 21, 2018 10:09PM

And how do I know?? The other day when the 10-day mandated social media fast was up, I had to hear all about it all over social media. The women had to explain why they weren't online for 10 days, but also bragging that they were oh so faithfool in following their prophet.

I told one of my TBM sisters that the other TBM sister (they don't talk to each other) had posted something online and the other one says wait...was it a few days ago, because we aren't supposed to be on social media for 10 days! It felt like Kindergartners tattling on each other.

Anyone else see an influx of this a few days ago?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 21, 2018 10:15PM

Wow, that was fast.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 21, 2018 10:16PM

I was hoping I would see an influx of new postings. Nope. But I did see one saying she was still on FB but had curtailed some of her other social media.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 21, 2018 11:47PM

I can't imagine being so brainwashed that I would slavishly

obey a stupid order from some old ass geezers to not get online

for ten days. I feel very sorry for the women who obeyed.

Subsuming my will to a obey a tottering old geezer who makes his

living from the tithing that I and all the others pay the lying,

phony gospel is soul smothering exercise in futility, commanded

because the old guys had to find some new orders to make them

selves feel important and necessary. Ghawd I hate this church.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 01:14AM

The dummies - including the men - it was supposed to be ten days [in waking, not consecutive hours], followed by TEN DAYS, eternally.
People aren't online in their sleep anyway so it's really just a time-out punishment. a red herring, or an empty promise, like the all of mormonism.

What good is ten days out of 365, or 3,650, or 365,000 [100 years] if there isn't anything leading to help others, or be more social, or creative or authentic?
LDSc could have said (like to the missionaries) NO SOCIAL MEDIA on SUNDAYS, or only an hour at a time, or only when somebody is long distance.
TSCC could have said write more letters, share meals with others more regularly, or meditate more often, and go deeper into the spirit of life.

Nope. Just STAY OFF the internet [computer-phone-TV] for a TINY fraction of life, and don't think, don't drink, and don't blink.

M@t

Date: October 22, 2018 01:15AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 01:15AM by moremany.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 01:33AM

Remember!

Even if it's 'bad advice', you'll be blessed for obedience!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 01:55AM

I was very proud of the niece of one of my brothers, whose accounts I follow. She didn't make any sort of announcement, but quietly disappeared for ten days,then returned without fanfare. I still think she's a sheep for following along, but it was so much
classier that she didn't make a huge "I'm so righteous in following the prophet" sort of production of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 01:56AM by scmd1.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 02:31AM

Not trying to get cheap virtue points out of the exercise indicates that she's a thoughtful person...and that's cause for optimism at the prospects that she'll think herself out of the MorMatrix eventually.

I always gag at the sight and sound of the types who want everyone to know about every little "sacrifice" they make to be virtuous.

"Look at me not drinking coffee!"
"Look at me not using the M word!"
"Look at me reading scriptures at lunchtime!"

The response from the rest of the world: "Look at us not giving a crap!"

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 02:36AM

I hope so, Wally. I really like the young woman, and I hate to see her give her life to a cult.

Posted by: Billy ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 01:27PM

The "M" word. I know (with every fiber of my being) you probably meant "Mormon," the my first thoughts were "masturbate" and "menopause." Not sure what either alternative says about me....

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 02:40PM

...you're middle-aged and horny?

:)

Date: October 22, 2018 02:21AM

The people who "fasted" from social media are probably now going to double down on their addiction to make up for their period of deprivation, with the unintended consequence being that they will be sucked into it deeper than ever before.

Date: October 22, 2018 02:25AM

I've been "fasting" all my life. I didn't know that I could get virtue brownie points for it.

I may as well go live in a Tibetan monastery now and await my imminent ascension to a higher plane, I guess. ;o)

Date: October 22, 2018 03:42AM

Yep. You'll see these people posting at all hours of the night - and day! - for the next 100 days+ [10%], to be sure.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 07:57AM

I have not seen any influxes, but I'll prepare myself for it- hearing how "blessed" they felt for following the profit (yes, I spelled it that way for a reason!) and making an attempt to turn it into a missionary experience.

I'll admit, I enjoyed the break from being bombarded by church related postings.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 10:34AM

Why do only the women have to "fast"?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 10:47AM

Because they use the internet for "silly things", while men use it for manly reasons!

(my fists are on my hips as I lecture you...)

Date: October 23, 2018 05:39PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because they use the internet for "silly things",
> while men use it for manly reasons!
>
> (my fists are on my hips as I lecture you...)

I doubt they were on your hips, but rather on your lips [is that hipstick you're wearing?]?

I agree. The men want to see if more romance occurs in the bedrooms, or in the 'church', and who induces it, the ladies or the men.
If the men went too fast [too], there would be no versatile excuse, explanation, or blame.
They are trying to amplify women's voices, but only offering the large end of the mega-mini-micro-phone.

The men are confused and afraid. Worried and lost. Dull and dreary.
They figure rather than slowing down, that the women should fast instead...
While they nap, and sneak a peak, and a token, and a nip or two.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 11:39AM

It was my observation back when I was "in," that after "Fast Sunday" ended, most members would go binge on food after having gone (mostly) without for half a day.

It looks like the same thing here. After the fast, members are in binge mode on social media. Largely bragging about how they fasted from it for 10 days, and how special that makes them. Same old mormon behavior.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 11:55AM

The internet had a noticeable void. The internet appears to have recovered, thankfully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 11:55AM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 12:25PM

I'm sad that it has ended.

Posted by: irregular poster ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 04:13PM

I stay away from social media for the most part given the insistence from certain types to use it as a platform for their obnoxious religious and political views. I make an exception for Instagram since that behavior is much less prevalent there, but for the most part I refuse to follow TBMs in the extended family because it really screws up my feed. Now that 2 extended family female TBMs violated the fast by "like"ing my recent posts, I have decided to go ahead and follow them, so hopefully they feel blessed by their decision.

Observation from my significant other: The "fast" did not seem to apply to snapchat.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 05:43PM

HOT DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 01:14PM

My one remaining Mormon friend made it to 4 days. That's more than I would have done.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 01:44PM

Now they'll all race to Facebook and Twitter and declare how great it was!

Posted by: Survivor.. ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 02:11PM

I feel as if there's a much bigger agenda at play here. Why was this "invitation" extended to only women?

A way of shutting down women's voices, particularly in the #metoo movement?

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 04:41PM

ten days on my mission when I successfully avoided pulling on my priesthood. That accomplishment didn't last either.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 02:01AM

I'm happy to say that my TBM wife did not participate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.