Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 08:36PM

Deseret News reporting that the Hill Cumorah pageant will be ending in 2020 and other pageants may also be discontinued or changed:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900039117/mormon-church-statement-says-changes-coming-for-local-celebrations-including-pageants.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 08:47PM

The local businesses are gonna hate that.
Or maybe not?

Nelson is putting Mormonism thru a serious make-over, financial considerations or otherwise

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 09:00PM

The fans will wonder why the Grinch is stealing their pageant. What will Linda Lu think?

But yeah, I think it signals a shift away from the BoM as doctrine. They’re serious about not treating it as a historical document. I’m amazed to see them making actual progress.

Date: October 27, 2018 09:33PM

I was wondering what this may be signaling, and I think you are right. Cumorah was a major missionary effort all focused on the BoM.

Now there will be hardly anything in that area. There is a visitors center on the property. The building where the first Boss were printed, the farm, the "sacred grove" etc.

Unless there is a concerted effort to put that on some Mormon tourist bus route, visitors to that area........

Oh and yea, there is a temple in that area, too.

Date: October 27, 2018 09:34PM

Now if they were just signal a draw down of their missionary force.
THAT would be cataclysmic.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 08:47PM

I think the reality of a made-up BoM is starting to sink in.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 10:08AM

My thoughts EXACTLY. They are trying to hard to move away from the BoM as history in their rebranding attempt into mainstreatm Christianity. Nixing the word "Mormon" is even part of that. The BoM is the easy part, the temple and its Masonic roots are going to be the biggest hurdle. It's the money machine. Even though they've changed so much about the ceremony, the undies, the requirements for a recommend (you can be immoral and dishonest as long as you pay), they can't drop the "come to our clubhouse or lose your family for eternity" rhetoric without a big interruption in the money stream. However, it's kind of a fun and interesting show to watch.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 08:52PM

another casualty of imploding active MORmON member numbers,

a lack of interest to put it on = a huge lack of resources, along with a lack of interest to view proMORmON propaganda once it is produced,

LDS Inc has to pull the plug on it before having the production completely crash and burn right in public view

.......in the mean time, the book of MORmON musical keeps plugging away !!!! LMAO !!

Posted by: Sb3 ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 09:03PM

This is STRAIGHT out of the RLDS playbook: get away from the term mormon, discontinue any cultural ties to the BOM, make a statement that it is not scripture, join mainstream

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 09:38PM

Sb3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is STRAIGHT out of the RLDS playbook: get
> away from the term mormon, discontinue any
> cultural ties to the BOM, make a statement that it
> is not scripture,

like the JOD ???????

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 10:30PM

This is prescient and probably accurate. Good observation. Would not surprise me at all if history proves it true.

I don’t know if the church will ever just straight up start saying “I’m not sure we ever taught that” with the BoM, but subtly, they will move away from it. Hell, maybe over the next two decades or something you could count how less often conference talks will make mention of it as a historical document.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2018 10:30PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 10:59PM

Gold plates!!!

The history of ghawd's people coming to the Americas from Jerusalem!!!

An explanation as to how the Native Americans wound up not being blond/blonde!!!

The most correct book in the history of mankind!!!

"Do away with the Book of Mormon? Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 09:27PM

sitting at night with lots of people in the dark and watching a colorful performance is too exciting for mormondum. I know I enjoyed it as a teenager and would probably enjoy it now too. Nelson wants everyone to snooze through church instead, more songs about praising the Man! and Hi'ing to Kolob,

the pagent is not family oriented, or strengthening the famDamiliy enough. (so the article says?)

Date: October 27, 2018 09:32PM

Look at these two responses in the cited article's comments section:

"mightymite - , 00
Oct. 27, 2018 5:29 p.m.
Hard to understand what is going on right not with leadership? Who are they consulting for this change? This is a tough and sad stretch...

"BooBoo - Orem, UT
Oct. 27, 2018 4:52 p.m.
Pageants are weird. They’ve always been weird. Unless you’re multigenerational LDS and grew up with them, in which case you probably don’t see that they are hokey, embarrassing, and parochial. High time we moved on from the vain traditions of our forefathers, IMO."

I'm guessing that 'BooBoo' from Orem thought that the Broadway version of Book of Mormon was "hokey, embarrassing and parochial."

Anyway, it's interesting to see that, 1) the lord's newspaper is allowing TBMs to voice contrary opinions and that 2) there are plenty of mormons ready and able to kiss up to inspired prophets.

Posted by: carthagegrey ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 02:53PM

after reading the comments too, I agree with you ,esp.#2
there are plenty of morgbots saying
I hear and obey

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 10:07PM

What the leaders are failing to comprehend is that there are many people that are interested in local history that is part of a region and how it connects to a group of people. These places of interest have never been a major missionary tool to convert, but people are interested in visiting places that others revere. It's similar to the road shows where half of the audience were non members that came to see a good show.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 11:20PM

Yep, this looks like more evidence they want to ditch focus on their origins.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 11:31PM

Its very name violates Nelson's edict.

The Hill Cumorah Pageant always triggers many, many, much and myriad uses of the "M" word.

The Book of Mmmmmm will eventually have to go. But they have to take baby steps to get there.

It does look like they intend to get there.

Pshsssss~sssss.... Do you hear that sound? Sounds like air steadily leaking out of a tire.

They're downscaling the Mormon church in plain view. But the TBMs can't see it because the leaders haven't specifically announced that they're downscaling. To TBMs, it's just inscrutable "tweaking" that must be good because the good leaders are doing it.

I wonder if the newest, not-yet-announced temple building plans are going to be scrapped...or whether they still need the temple construction projects for money laundering or something.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 11:32PM

As LDS changes terminology ("ministers," not HTs or VTs), kills the pageants, distances itself from the exotic (and unique) teachings like celestial polygamy, etc. I'm reminded of a conversation among teen girls when Vatican II introduced folk music into the Mass, eliminated Latin, allowed nuns to wear modern dress, and so on.

The Protestant girls thought this was great, and would make Catholicism more hip and understandable. But there was a devout Catholic girl who objected strenuously, complaining that all this "will make the Roman Catholic Church plain and ordinary, just like all the others!"

Mainstreaming and liberalization will have its cost. Perhaps the (un?)Holy 15 figure such colatoral damage is acceptable.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 27, 2018 11:35PM

What ? No more idiotic mormon pageantry ?

Date: October 27, 2018 11:37PM

Didn't the church spend a fortune a few years ago to expand the Provo MTC for a surge that isn't coming?

It seemed like a bad idea at the time when the church was doubling down on their anti-gay marriage/ children policy.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 12:36AM

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 11:22AM

Lack of interest and lack of attendance.

Someone mentioned that audience #s went from an average of 70 000 to just 25 000

The golden days of Mormonism are over.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 12:04PM

I used to go all the time, as per I live not too far away. My church friends would participate as actors. I even remember Donny Osmond be an actor in the pagent. If I remember correctly I think 10,000 would be in attendance.

Missionaries would mingle and talk to people before it started. Always visited the Grove, JS home, see the Temple there.

This is huge...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 04:06PM

They are backing away from the parts they can't explain that might demand explanation - ie the more public weirdness. This is so, a generation from now, they can teach our grandchildren to say "We never taught that - that is anti-Mormon lies." The way they do nowadays when anyone tries to tell a 20-something that the temple ordinances originally mimed slitting your own throat if you broke the oaths you made in the temple. That never happened ...

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 02:59AM

The Book of Mormon no longer has a purpose. It's no longer converting people to the church. The church knows the temple recommend is what brings the money into the church and temple marriage is what makes people want one. Who wants the embarrassment of not being able to attend weddings?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 04:14PM

Been to the Cumorah Pageant many times. I always enjoyed it. I can't imagine what I would think about it if I tried to watch it now.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: October 28, 2018 04:20PM

I expect two things soon.

1. The book of Mormon to be renamed: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.
2. Title to be changed to This book is an allegory of Christ.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 12:44AM

I kind of like "The Gospel of Christ," which was mentioned in another thread.

I don't much care for the book under any name.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 12:35PM

Nelson has made a lot of changes in a very short time. At the rate he is going, many more changes will come.
JS moved away from the BOM as he started is own "reveled words from God" which is now the D&C. Which is what the lds is governed by for the most part. I see maybe more teaching from it along with very selected statements from past leaders and of course anything Nelson decides on his on.
I for one enjoy him as the new leader. He will run many more off then any other leader before him. Especially the young ones. The

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 02:54AM

I watched the interview with Elder Hendrix at Mormon Stories. Hendrix said he once sat across from Russel M. Nelson eating lunch in the GA cafeteria and said Nelson had a confident arrogance to him. He said Nelson's attitude was like I know what I'm doing, I hope you do.

Usually you can tell what kind of prophet you are getting when you see the guy walk into the press conference after they have been set apart. Some look a bit shaken. Some are humbled. Nelson walked in like he owned the place.

I didn't like it when he told a story about a father giving his baby a blessing at the priesthood session of conference in April. He said the father gave a great talk but failed to bless the baby and Nelson said what a waste or something to that effect. Basically calling the father out as an idiot. I don't think President Nelson or President Hinckley would have done this. Maybe they would have noticed the mistake but not call it out at general conference. I thought it was arrogant of President Nelson. At least the father was in church doing something and not off at the golf course or banging some woman on a business trip behind his wife's back.

So Nelson is going to change a bunch of stuff. Some of it many members won't like.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 03:00PM

So, I still have time to plan a "Hill Cumorah Vacation" before it shuts down. My wife and I have an unspoken agreement that our "Nauvoo Vacation" never happened.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 09:54PM

The want the BOM to just become another book of reference rather than the keystone of mormon weirdness.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 01:20PM

I don't know that Palmyra made much money off of it.

It was mostly just a pain in the ass to be invaded by Mormons every summer.

Date: October 31, 2018 01:29PM

You Too? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know that Palmyra made much money off of
> it.
>
> It was mostly just a pain in the ass to be invaded
> by Mormons every summer.

You don't think the 2 weeks during the summer helped with the business' bottom lines? You don't believe they are going to feel it in a financial way when the pageant is no more?

Date: October 31, 2018 01:33PM

I think the merchants in that area should start planning for a huge drunken bacchanalia for the Hill Cumorah Pageant time slot in 2021, called "The Mormons are Gone; let's have fun! Pageant."

Done correctly, it could be a hoot and a half!

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 02:03PM

No, because the businesses in the area aren't oriented towards a 2 week onslaught of Mormon tourists.

Its a small town, an exurb of Rochester, NY.

As I posted in another post, some place like Manti will really feel it, but Palmyra has other things to do.

Date: October 31, 2018 02:12PM

Yes, Palmyra won't even notice it with all those guided tours where participants can pay 25 a head to dig for their very own gold bible. I think there's a 50 dollar one where you get your very own peepstone and a hat.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 02:29PM

I used to like to tour the area on the off-season.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.