Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 06:36PM

The worship of conmen and having a special book.

I read somewhere that if you wanted to be a successful philosopher you needed to write an incomprehensible tome and be good at promoting it.

It rings true for Mormonism and other things.

It is a surefire formula for success and I don't think The Church of Jesus Scribes of Lamanite Saints will ever abandon this receipt for success. I would assume they would ditch the higher ordinances (initiation for psychophants) of their gospel before they would ditch panegyrics, devotion to, and myth making of their dead and dying leaders.

They won't change the name Joseph granted them. They won't change the name of the school of their second prophet. They will lower these men down a bit with their essays but never stop adulations for the memory of them. The Book Maker and The Polygamist Architect of Mormonism will get some bird shit on their statues but they will never be pulled down by their living acolytes.

Heck, I think I read Joseph Stalin is making a comeback somewhere in Mother Russia, and he didn't even have a book!
https://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_why_stalins_popularity_doesnt_have_to_be_as_terrifying_as_7305

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 07:11PM

THE current collapse and implosion of THE (MORmON) church is so abrupt that LD$ inc is merely rearranging the deck chairs on their rapidly sinking ship of MORmONISM.

What LD$ Inc; does, might do, or wants to do, in their attempting to salvage their BS based religion scam hardly matters as MORmONISM races towards its inevitable demise. The fact is that Joe Smith's ridiculous shoddy sham MORmONISM beat the odds by running far longer than it ever should have, to the tune of billions of dollars.

MORmONISM should have been dead and finished over a Hundred years ago, and it was only by OBSCENE DUMB LUCK that it was not.

Date: October 30, 2018 08:45PM

"OBSCENE DUMB LUCK"

I beg to differ. It obviously had appeal and was a movement that Brigham Young isolated and expanded. Mormons worship their ancestor pioneers for this reason. They helped what was once a restoration movement in the Midwest into a religious kingdom of the West.

Cults had more fecund environs in the past than they do today but Scientology is a witness of how successful they can become from that initial boost of interest.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 09:59PM

There were THOUSANDS of ways that MORmONISM should have died out, just as most of the post Joe Smith MORmON splinter groups besides the Brighamites did die out.

There were thousands of ways that MORmONISM should have died out, like Joseph Smith surviving and running his scam into the ground, or Joseph Smith dying and all suck-cessors NOT being able to hold things together like Brigham did, or Abe Lincoln getting pissed enough to do a Sherman's march through Utah as was done in Georgia, on and on.

Sure, every MORmON leader had some kind of very self serving vision and plan that they played off of, but just as much all of the MORmON leaders were mostly making crap up as they went, hoping that the MORmON scam money and sex gravy train that PERVERT Joseph Smith had started would somehow continue so it could provide for them. Hoping the MORmON scam would /could some how persist while they LIED like Joe Smith, that was as far as their knowing what they were really doing really goes, which aint much but "DUMB LUCK" .....which makes the suck-cess of MORmONISM "DUMB LUCK", and considering how foul and corrupt that MORmONISM really was brings in the "OBSCENE" part.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 02:17AM

Every religion or political movement succeeds or fails both on unforeseen circumstances--luck--and skill. Mormonism would not exist if JS were gone, BY were gone, and the shift to mandatory 10% tithing had not occurred.

The "luck," in my view, was the existence of BY at the critical moment. Charismatic narcissists arise and create movements all the time. It is the (rare) institutionalization of such movements that render them durable, that enable them to live beyond the founder. BY is in that sense what differentiated the mainstream church from all the other successor movements. His decisions, primarily the relocation to Utah but also the establishment of a cult of bureaucratic leadership as opposed to charismatic leadership, rendered the LDS church vastly more powerful and coherent than it would otherwise have been.

He is the man who deserves most of the "credit" for creating a church that will shrivel into otiose irrelevance in the middle 21st century instead of the middle 19th century.

Date: October 31, 2018 11:30AM

Well, the PERVERT part isn't what inflames me about Smith. It is the abuser of all sorts of things and people including sexual predation on teenagers. PERVERT isn't the worst you can say.

And it wasn't DUMB LUCK, OBSCENE yes, DUMB LUCK no.

Corruption, collusions, controlling interests, bilking people of their labor and their individual freedom for a delusion that God came to America and granted them a license to steal all the land they could because they were neo-Nephites.

It is running on the Steam from the Age of Steam in their Gaslighted world while wiser folks are using electricity and fact checking things on The Internet.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 04:33AM

From my research into the early 19th century what I found is that the real message that was the selling point in Britain was that there was new territory in America that was free, up for the taking. The religion part wasn't so impressive.

But if they wouldn't have taken the land it would have been taken by someone else? Mormons? British? what's the difference?

(the Indians weren't farmers, and weren't improving the land. They practically gave it away anyway, and were satisfied with handouts)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 01:58PM

anono this week Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From my research into the early 19th century what
> I found is that the real message that was the
> selling point in Britain was that there was new
> territory in America that was free, up for the
> taking. The religion part wasn't so impressive.

To the extent that you are aiming this at Mormonism's success in Britain, you are incorrect. The church grew very rapidly until the secret of polygamy was finally revealed, at which point the immigration to the States and Utah stopped virtually overnight. Those people cared deeply about religion.

----------------------------
> (the Indians weren't farmers, and weren't
> improving the land. They practically gave it away
> anyway, and were satisfied with handouts)

This is a profoundly misinformed statement. Since when does agriculture, or "improving the land," constitute a prerequisite for ownership of land? Is the failure to farm ever a legitimate excuse for taking someone's property?

As for the notion that the Native Americans "practically gave" their land "away," what was it with all those wars? You know, the ones that the NA fought to stop the Europeans from stealing their land. How do you explain that?

Then you say the Native Americans "were satisfied with handouts." That is flatly wrong. You are repeating the tenets of 19th century racism, not expressing historically accurate judgment.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 04:33PM

Bingo. It was the repeating breech loading rifle (mid to late 1800s) that did in the NA. Before that, a bow and arrow versus a muzzle loading firearm was, if not quite a fair fight, was at least not a total rout.

Yes, the First Nations accepted handouts in many cases. Having a gun held to your head (among other problems) really weakens your ability to negotiate.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 04:38PM

It takes more than incomprehensible tomes to succeed. The post-modernists and deconstructionists haven't succeeded all that well. :)

[edit, wrong placement in thread, but close enough for government work]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2018 04:38PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: November 01, 2018 05:59PM

"It takes more than incomprehensible tomes to succeed. "

Like I said before...and a charismatic author.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 09:21PM

smirkorama opines:

> MORmONISM should have been dead and finished over
> a Hundred years ago, and it was only by OBSCENE
> DUMB LUCK that it was not.

Quite right, she should have been dead back them.

But you forget that she is and has always been perched on the ample buttocks of Worldwide Freemasonry which set her afoot way back when they created her in New England.

Most of the early apostles were firmly on the rebungnified square.

With their mega-billions, the Order will remain "duely and truely" there to fund their children and keep them afloat.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 01:24PM

The LDS Church hasn't collapsed anymore than it did in previous generations. Social media has just made it easier for the disgruntled to get together and talk about it. There were always people who ditched the church, but for the most part the kids of active parents are still going on missions and getting married in the temple. About 40% of the youth go inactive, but I don't see that as any different than what I saw in the early 70s. It is hard for a lot of people to admit they were bamboozled and family pressure is enough to keep them in.

Date: October 31, 2018 01:53PM

Posted by: S.H. ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 11:33PM

Tithing

Posted by: Soeur Papin ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 08:55AM

Yes.

1. Tithing

2. Tithing

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 11:35PM

Every religion is technically a scam, or they wouldn’t work. TSCC went all in on the BoM only to discover they’re holding jack. The obedience thing means it’s horribly mismanaged. Old dogs can’t learn new tricks.

Date: October 31, 2018 01:54PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TSCC went all in on the BoM only
> to discover they’re holding jack. The obedience
> thing means it’s horribly mismanaged.

If the book reinforces the obedience thing then it isn't jack.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 02:29AM

I agree with other posters who have said that if Joe hadn't been killed, Mormonism would have failed (proven/exposed as a fraud).

Date: October 31, 2018 11:24AM

When you look at it that way, he gave (had it forcible taken after thinking he would just be jailed for awhile) his life that I might be. My parents wouldn't be in Utah, wouldn't have existed, would never had married, and most importantly not had 10 children of which I'm 6th.

It sucks to realize your personal origins are so shitty.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 11:45AM

Tithing. It'll never abandon tithing.

Date: October 31, 2018 11:49AM

or real estate. or using a non-profit to control major profit making. or "continuing revelation." or being a masonic boys club. or wearing suits and being "clean cut." or magic underwear. or...

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 06:46PM

Or obedience.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 03:47AM

Lies and obfuscations?

Date: November 01, 2018 06:00PM

Yes, they are required to support the book and the conmen.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 02:33PM

a documentary about Bhagwan Shree Raneesh and his followers and their commune in Oregon. It was called "Wild Wild Country" My gosh what a little charisma and free love can do for a movement. Fascinating take on devotion. They interviewed many of the devotees and all these years later quite a few were still absolute believers.

Date: November 02, 2018 12:00PM

"...a little charisma and free love..."

Who doesn't love some of that? Joseph Smith's sexcapades included a third ingredient - power/authority.

Someone with a little charisma and a lot of power wants to have some free love with you. Might be something that would leave an indelible mark on you...

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 09:53PM

The Law of tithing and Temple worship garment wearing nonsense.

Date: November 02, 2018 12:07PM

Here are the laws.

" In the 1990 revisions this Law was changed so that the woman is not required to "obey" the husband, but to "obey the Law of the Lord, and to hearken unto the counsel of her husband, as her husband hearkens unto the counsel of the Father."
The Law of Sacrifice is explained as based on the Old and New Testaments. In submitting to this Law, the patrons covenant to "sacrifice all that we possess, even our own lives if necessary, in sustaining and defending the Kingdom of God [i.e., the Mormon church]."
The Law of the Gospel requires the patrons to covenant to obey the Gospel (as taught by the Mormon church) and "to avoid all lightmindedness, loud laughter, evil speaking of the Lord's anointed (i.e., the leaders of the Mormon church), the taking of the name of God in vain, and every other unholy and impure practice."
The Law of Chastity is a covenant to restrict one's sexual relations to the lawful spouse.
The Law of Consecration requires "that you do consecrate yourselves, your time, talents and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion." "
http://packham.n4m.org/temples.htm

Notice how similar The Law of Sacrifice and The Law of Consecration are.

It is more than tithing that "Temple worship garment wearing nonsense."

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 02:59PM

1. Potato/macaroni salad
2. Jell-O

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.