Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AlanXL ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 04:18AM

I am thinking of putting together a list of the most idiotic verifiable statements made by the bozo prophets.

Such as Joe said men are on the moon, Briggy said on the sun, hidden treasures sink away, Oliver in book of commandments blessed with power over the diving rod, Egypt was named are Egyputus etc.

Anything to sow doubt in their sanity will do just fine!!! Don't have to limit it to the two tyrants above if its definitely something astoundingly stupid.

I want to head it with something like;

Prophesies, quotes and statements from the prophets seers and revelators of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints. So it looks inoffensive and honest which I want it to be!

I want the quotes to be from Mormon sources so there can be no argument of where it came from so that I can have a concise list to hand to my friends of what the nut jobs really said.

Maybe there is already such a thing but I haven't seen it all in the same place.

Of course some members will not give a damn but in my own experience when members are given Official sourced material they at least start to wonder.

So can you help me please? Do I list my email address or do I receive answers -if any- here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AlanXL ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 04:21AM

I am thinking of putting together a list of the most idiotic verifiable statements made by the bozo prophets.

Such as Joe said men are on the moon, Briggy said on the sun, hidden treasures sink away, Oliver in book of commandments blessed with power over the diving rod Egypt was named after Egyputus etc.

I want to head it with something like;

Prophesies, quotes and statements from the prophets seers and revelators of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints. So it looks inoffensive and honest which I want it to be!

I want the quotes to be from Mormon sources so there can be no argument of where it came from so that I can have a concise list to hand to my friends of what the nut jobs really said.

Maybe there is already such a thing but I haven't seen it all in the same place.

Of course some members will not give a damn but in my own experience when members are given Officially sourced material they at least start to wonder.

So can you help me please? Do I list my email address or do I receive answers -if any- here?

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 11:16AM

This may help. Put together almost 3 yrs ago.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1739452

Brigham said there were people living on the sun. Orson Pratt said all the planets had inhabitants. Mormon Think probably has all those references.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 02:30AM

I like the one where Joe had a canoe accident that resulted in him getting a revelation that Satan controls all water.

This of course led to the ban against swimming and all other water sports for Mormon missionaries. I wonder how many Mormon missionaries know that they and tens of thousands of others like them had to give up swimming for two years just because Joseph Smith had an accident in a canoe and got angry at the water.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 02:40PM

Quakers on the moon and the sun borrowing light via a mechanism that sounds like a chocolate breakfast cereal are after the fact. It all starts when they say they speak to god. That's about as stupid as it gets and it nullifies what ever else come out of their "inspired" mouths.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 03:01PM

Isn't that a bit like asking someone to go into Fort Knox and find the shiniest penny?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 03:14PM

Oh, c'mon, you're taking all of that out of context.

They were only giving their *opinions* about all these things.

Of course, their opinion was also God's opinion, right?

Also, this was before busses were invented, so they didn't know what getting thrown under one was like; wagons were slower and you could roll out from underneath them.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 04:48PM

Joe: "O Lord, my God!"
Briggy: "Joseph! Joseph! Joseph!"

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 05:19PM

"I saw, above my head, a column of light descending little by little until it fell upon me. In the light there were two personages..."

(forgive me if I didn't get it word-perfect. Had to translate in my head from the French version I memorized as a mishie...never learned it in English!)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 05:37PM

"Young later said of his introduction to plural marriage, “I was not desirous of shrinking from any duty, nor of failing in the least to do as I was commanded, but it was the first time in my life that I had desired the grave, and I could hardly get over it for a long time.” "
https://www.heraldextra.com/special-section/lds/fall2012/timeline-the-life-of-brigham-young/article_4f21382a-0acb-11e2-8e76-0019bb2963f4.html

He got over his desires for the grave fairly well, enough to desire, um, other things.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 01:19AM

Why limit it?

What about Rusty's "Jesus is now (almost 200 years) offended if you say Mormon"

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 01:21AM

Kimball's saying

masturbation makes you gay

Indians are getting lighter skin

Joseph Fielding Smith

Man will never disturb the pristine nature of other planets.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 04:40AM

Ya I'm remembering that there was some statement that the Moon was a "terrestrial planet" and therefore of a higher station than the Earth. And J.Fielding Smith said man would never make it to the moon because of this.

1969 lunar landing was hoax, I tell ya! A conspiracy from Hollywood studios, lol!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 02:44AM

Speaking about HIS OWN REVELATIONS, Joseph Smith said that "some revelations are of God: some revelations are of men; and some revelations are of the devil."

Joseph Smith said this after one of his "revelations" had failed spectacularly.

When you think about it, this should have been the end of Joseph Smith's career as a "revelator".

Oddly enough, his flock continued to hang on his every word, even though he had confessed to them that any given revelation at any time could be his own brain fart, could be from the devil or could be from god. You spin the wheel, you roll the dice and you take your chances. But, hey, still a bargain at only 10% gross of your annual income for life, right? Right???

--------

Whitmer, David (1887), An Address to All Believers in Christ By A Witness to the Divine Authenticity of the Book of Mormon, Richmond, Missouri: David Whitmer.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 05:43AM

“I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.”
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/introduction?lang=eng

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.