Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 10:32PM

I was watching the Blackhawks /Oilers game tonight and noticed they changed the words to the Canadian National Anthem from “ in all of thy sons command “ to “ in all of us command “.
I thought something sounded differently a few days ago, but thought I was hearing things. My husband still had the CC on, so I saw the words on the screen .
I googled it, and sure enough they did change it earlier this year , to be gender neutral.
This was after Last week, when I found out the church didn’t go by “ LDS” or “ Mormon” anymore either, so much for the phrase “ Mormon standard time”, etc
What do the Canadians on board think about the anthem word change?
Do they still talk about it, or is it old news now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 10:34PM

It's old news by now, but at the time my reaction was, "Oh, brother. They're changing it again."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 10:42PM

It happened a while ago. The gummint is changing the wording on anything they deem offensive....to anyone. Idiots.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 10:53PM

~ ¿ what did y'all Canadians expect ? ~

y'all Canadians start off with calling round pieces of ham = "bacon" ~

and you Canadians insist on using monopoly® money instead of reel US amrerican currancy ~

an you Canadians think Maple syrup is all that wen rilly it tastes just the same as Aunt Jemima® Original Syrup ~

an you are still trapped in the dark ages of the metric system ~

then you Canadians come on RfM wanting to change the words of the Canadian National Anthem ?!?!?!?!?!?!? ~

plz just use the official US American Anthem like everybody else in the world ~

https://youtu.be/R4e1JGYt8NA

thx ~

Date: November 01, 2018 10:58PM

Uh, dude? Countries not using the metric system: Burma, Liberia and the U.S. of A.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 10:58PM

At least Americans are in good company.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 11:02PM

exactly bro ~

smell the freedom ~

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 12:18AM

We learned the metric system in fifth grade, and were sternly warned that the rest of the world used it already, and we needed to be prepared to switch over, as it might happen any day now.

I did OK with it while traveling in Europe, although the weather forecasting broadcasts on TV were kind of a wake-up. It got worse when I left England and traveled in France, Germany, Italy and Greece. Suffice it to say that I like metric temps in the low to mid 30s. Swimming weather.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 08:38AM

Greyfort Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uh, dude? Countries not using the metric system:
> Burma, Liberia and the U.S. of A.

And the U.K. uses a hybrid of metric and imperial.

Date: November 02, 2018 12:29AM

We didn't go over to Metric until I was out of highschool, so I actually still think in Imperial, except for maybe road speed.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 12:38AM

Me too.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 12:35AM

Yeah old news, as others have said. It was easy to get used to, just a tiny change. I don't mind that they want to be gender neutral on stuff. As long as they leave the rest of the words alone so I don't have to keep relearning. I have a hard time remembering it already. I find it quite boring, sad to say. And as the US is so dominant in our hemisphere their anthem is one we hear often and I know it as well as I do my own. I would take a bet it's not a vice versa deal.

This tiny change didn't cause much of a ripple.

Now, frequently changing textbooks to be more "inclusive", that's expensive and can get irritating to a lot of people. I just hope that successive governments don't keep changing everything back. In some regards though you have to keep up with changing times. I never got too fiendish about pronouns though. I barely heard the word 'sons' (..."in all they sons command") and am so used to the long acceptance of the male pronoun covering all people that it's never been a big issue for me.

I keep wondering when they will stop playing anthems at sporting events. Maybe they could have a team song instead. Or just drop the puck and get on with it.

The Vancouver Canucks are exciting this year, with a new young player who shows great promise. It's been a while for us. Sad to see the oldtimers go (without winning the Cup) but getting new players, especially with talent, keeps things exciting. Hope they don't trade him next week. We do that a lot here in Western Canada. Just traded an amazing soccer star away overseas for the measly sum of $20M. Would rather get to watch him play locally than get the $$. We just don't have major stars in any sport all that often. Sorry - no offence everybody. We do have amateur stars, swimming, hockey, etc., and playing for Team Canada (Olympics). So, OK, I'll just shut up now...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 12:53AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 11:03AM

Our present Canadian government feels compelled to lead, even if they get into social engineering. Hence, they must alter the wording to "Oh, Canada!"

Interesting that when the opera singer at Canucks games in Vancouver turns to conduct the crowd singing some verses, they always respond in the traditional words. Government can't govern how people think.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 11:20AM

I would much rather be singing your Anthem than mine. The Canadian National Anthem can be sung by a crowd.

The US not so much. It frequently can sound like someone is killing a cat. So easy to be flat or sharp.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 02:34AM

Don't the Brits use some CRAZY COMBINATION of pounds/'stones' / & kilograms?

O, & they also DRIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE!

Next: Metric Time: 10 a.m. hours, 10 p.m. hours.

Forget that, go to military style 100 hours per day!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 11:39AM

The offensive part is the idea of commanding love. And aren't they offending atheists with the "God keep our land" part? ;)

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 11:43AM

Then there's the official English translation of the French version of "O Canada:"

O Canada!
Land of our ancestors
Glorious deeds circle your brow
For your arm knows how to wield the sword
Your arm knows how to carry the cross;
Your history is an epic
Of brilliant deeds
And your valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights,
Will protect our homes and our rights.

Um, okay.

Posted by: Annie Mouse ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 12:40PM

I prefer a base 12 system for measurements because 12 is evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 6 while 10 is only evenly divisible by 2 and 5. The base 12 system works very well on the clock. I think the US is smart not to go metric.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.