Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 05:55AM

Jumping the Shark is the moment when an established long-running series changes in a significant manner in an attempt to stay fresh. Ironically, that moment makes the viewers realize that the show's finally run out of ideas. It's reached its peak, it'll never be the same again, and from now on it's all downhill.

http://salamandersociety.com/slamtoons/Russell-M-Nelson-jumping-shark.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 07:47AM

Just for those who don't know, it refers to an episode of "Happy Days" in which Fonzie proved his superior coolness by jumping over a shark while water-skiing. At that point, most fans realized that the writers had indeed run out of innovative ideas for the show.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 09:01AM

Wowzie, no I did not know that before today.

Thanks, and yes, it's a good fit for the emperor wit no clothes.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 11:11AM

Yep. While water skiing off the beach in SoCal. In his leather jacket. We all went "Huh?".

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 10:23AM

I had a teacher try to start the phrase "Nuke the fridge". I don't think it lasted.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 10:39AM

Sounds like an Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull reference.

Which did, indeed, jump the shark. The worst of all the Indiana Jones movies.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 10:57AM

Russell M. Nelson knows that change needs to happen in order to keep the young in the church. Otherwise, they will have no church. No tithing--think of the horror!

Posted by: scg73 ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 11:30AM

I wonder if they'll ever experiment with contemporary wards; where it'll be casual & they have a band. Because it seems to me that LDS Inc might have more difficulty competing with the Evangelical megachurches than with mainline Protestant churches.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 11:18AM

Fonzie "jumped the shark" in the 5th season of Happy Days and I think I had quit watching before then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

Here's a wikipedia article with the origin of the phrase, right the Ron Howard's mouth. Nope, he didn't say it first.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 12:55PM

So to be a hip cat, instead of "Nelson's claiming revelation in an effort to keep his church relevant", I just say "Nelson and the church have jumped the shark" . Groovy!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 09:23PM

Posted by: anon-y-mus 4 today ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 01:37AM

Who was the Apostle who said the wimmen-folk in his family would all gather and make doughnuts while the priest-folk of the family attend the Priest sessions... then them menfolk would come home and share the revelations with the wimmens while eating their fresh doughnuts !

That does beg the question - were tne priest holders home making sausages for the gals while they were at the Relief Society ?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 04:19PM

Yes, that was Nelson, maybe eight or ten years ago.

Delicious Donuts! Even better than sanctified pickles.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 09:09PM

but before you click the link, a riddle.

What do Russell Nelson's ass and a donut have in common?

They both have holes and Nelson thinks all the Sisters are in love with both.

The funny thing is that if Nelson re-read his talk today, he would see nothing wrong with it at all. Geez!

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1999/04/our-sacred-duty-to-honor-women?lang=eng

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 01:18PM

Russ jumped the shark while water skiing behind the Titanic. The members are real busy rearranging the deck chairs and stoking the boilers. Russ is yelling take your vitamins and full steam ahead! but the iceberg has been hit and the bow is filling full of water. Exmormons are filling the lifeboats and rowing away as fast as they can.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.