Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 02:33PM

WARNING!!! For mature audiences ONLY...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCsFvVg0UY

You remember where you were???

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 02:34PM

OH MY GOSH... YES... I remember this one!

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 02:36PM

Of course. It used to be the real thing.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 02:46PM

That took me back and I loved it. The living room carpet was green shag with orange specs. The curtains were green satin and my dad would be smoking his pipe in his green recliner. Guess what my mother's favorite color was.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 02:46AM

Absolutely. We had rust-colored carpet in our first house, gold-sheer curtains, and avocado-colored appliances in the kitchen!

Back then, I still had all my factory-original body parts, too. Ah, the memories!!

And Coke tasted better then, too. My DH insists on buying his Coca-Cola from Mexican suppliers, because they still use real sugar instead of corn syrup. I don't drink the stuff very often - don't need those calories. . .

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 12:55AM

What would the 70s be without those colors?

1973: Our whole house was decorated in variations of those colors. My older siblings' clothes were all in those colors. Our family car was in those colors. I was the rebel without claws who insisted on wearing straight legged jeans while everyone else was wearing bell-bottoms and flared pants. I just couldn't embrace that aesthetic turn of the screw. I toughed it out and eventually the world came back my way. ;o)

I didn't have any problem with avocado green, though. I liked it before it was cool and I still like it.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 04:55PM

Remember it well.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 05:26PM

Damn hippies and commies pinko's.

Pass me that Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 06:10PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 06:24PM

Yup...I was there....and was using Coke to mix with my rum by then.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 06:29PM

I love this commercial; It’s one of my favourites on you tube

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 06:36PM

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 07:15PM

Oh. That kind of cokehead.

/disappoint

I must say I have never seen this, just the original one.

I prefer the polar bear commercials where they drink coke

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 07:40PM

But ... but ...but I LIKED new coke.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 09:51PM

I remember it only as the finale of "Mad Men."

Posted by: Canyonprophet ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 10:48PM

You had me curious for a moment, so I went to the link and realized that you were talking about THAT Coke. You should be a little more thoughtful about using the words "Coke head", you're gonna confuse some of us who lived fast and loose in the 80's.

Date: November 07, 2018 01:30AM

Sad thing is that all the fresh-faced young people in that ad are now really old fartlebys and fartelinas...probably suffering from various ailments caused by a lifetime of drinking sugary soda pop.

"I'd like to buy the world a coke."

One coke for the whole world? I could do that. Just point me in the direction of the person who is authorized to accept the gift of one coke for the entire world and I'll get it done. No more wishful thinking or kumbayah prayer circles. I'll do it! And an action figure in my likeness will be available soon after to celebrate my accomplishment.
;o)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:44AM

At the rate they are franchising new super-heroes I would say a Captain Witty Wally action figure fighting sugary drinks everywhere would be a smash. For sure start the story in sugar plagued Utah. Do they still have that "dirty soda" thing going?

Date: November 08, 2018 01:03AM

I didn't know about the "dirty soda" thing.

I looked it up....

From the looks of it, the Word of Wisdom (as practiced by Mormons) has created a huge market in Utah for insulin annihilating sugary, syrupy, artificially flavored soda pop. Got to give the kids and adults something to drink that will not jeopardize their future or present temple worthiness.

But I'm not temple worthy because I drink espresso and green tea (no sugar, no cream).

Type for Captain Wally to spring into action, fer sure, fer sure!

Date: November 07, 2018 10:18AM

I once went to the university library (waaaaaay before Goggle), and asked the librarian about reference material for the import and export of coke.

She asked me, "The brown liquid or the white powder?"

I answered, "The black solid".

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:20AM

The black solid is the skeleton of coal and is almost pure carbon.

Date: November 07, 2018 10:25AM

Shhh! It's the secret coke.

Date: November 08, 2018 01:09AM

I remember working hard in the Zarahemla foundry, the whiff of ziff smelting and burning coke every morning was the smell of victory.

The Laminates had no weapons that could match our ziff swords, hammers and axes. I had a ziff sword that sliced through the Laminates' laminate swords like a hot knife through butter.

Thanks for reminding me of those good times. Did you ever try those smoked curelom sausages down at Moron's delicatessen across the street from the foundry in east Zarahemla? (May have been before your time.)

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:27AM

Takes me back to Christmas Eve's at my Grandma's house. A time i'd gladly go back to.

Date: November 07, 2018 10:29AM

I saw it when it first came out. I didn't like it then. I don't like it now except as a marker of how far we have not come. I've gotten to the point where I find that kind of sugary sentimental message to be counter-productive. Kum-bay-effin-yah!

Lennon said it better. Imagine no religion. Imagine no heaven, no countries with walls, nothing to kill or die for . . .

Had dinner with a friend last night. She just returned from a class reunion where they raffled off a gun.

People change when they interact with "the other." Having a coke together will never be as good as having eye contact. I have friends now who used to hate the gays. Just sayin'.

Date: November 07, 2018 10:55AM

Yeah. Just like that Kum-bay-effen yah song, Give Peace a Chance. What a load of crap. Who writes this stuff?

Date: November 07, 2018 11:10AM

I guess I have seen too much. I still see a divide and conquer world with some really wonderful people sprinkled in here and there-- a lot of them here in SoCal. 8 billion people in the world. What else can it be? 100 billion went before us and we still need these songs? Those touchy feely lyrics are nice for singing around the campfire when you are thirteen. I was already being divided and conquered by that age though and I Can't Get No Satisfaction was more appealing.

I'm now at the age that I like few glasses of wine with good friends who know what's what and where can laugh anyway.

Date: November 07, 2018 11:17AM

I guess you're right. I'm getting old too, and I try to find things that make me care,

"but now I'm gettin' old, don't wear underwear
I don't go to church, and I don't cut my hair"

Jimmy buffett speaks to me.

Date: November 07, 2018 11:41AM

Great lyric of Buffet's.

I find as I get older that I can't stop listening to Bob Dylan who I never liked when I was young and Leonard Cohen who seems to sort the world out as he looks back like no one else. I can't stop listening to Cohen's last album and I've had it a year I think. "I'm leaving the table. I'm out of the game. I don't know the people in your picture frame."

Where have all the flowers gone, anyway?

Date: November 07, 2018 11:45AM

Looking for something to make you care . . ..

I know I sound bitter sometimes or jaded or something, but I actually care deeply about so much but it has to be about something I can do something about now. The whole world is too much to consider. The kids I work with. I like them too much. Well, actually they are in their thirties most of them. I have to remember not to pat them on the heads.

I will quit rambling now.

Date: November 08, 2018 02:04AM

The fact that they intentionally associated this syrupy song about abstract love, harmony and world peace with a toxic substance having no redeeming nutritional value is emblematic of a technique that is widely deployed to manipulate mass perceptions.

Take a toxic policy and constantly associate it with sweet music, slogans, sayings and sentimentality that nobody can disagree with and you put people into a confused state of mind where they emotionally feel like they cannot reject the toxic policy without also rejecting the sweet sentiments and slogans that it is perpetually associated with.

It's an old technique. In substance, the French Revolution was mindless bloodthirsty violence, with the rebels being 100 times more tyrannical than the rulers they displaced. But the movement constantly associated itself with lofty slogans and sentiments based on "fraternity, liberty and equality" (totally ignoring the fact that,as objectives, perfect equality and perfect liberty are constantly in conflict. ("To demonstrate their commitment to perfect equality, all NBA players have agreed to undergo bone-shortening operations, so that none will have an undeserved height advantage over anyone else.")

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:57AM

Yes, I remember that from the 60s. Looks like a great big love-in.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 12:45AM

This marks the exact moment the 60's ended and the 70's began.

Posted by: Peggy Olson ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 01:28AM

Don Draper wrote this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.