Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shaking my head ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 06:13AM

My Niece & her husband & family moved back here (Midwest ) , and bought a half a million dollar home in the ritzy part of town, live here for barely 2 months, & the stake Pres. calls Niece's Husband to the High Council.
Some of the genuinely humble, kindest men I have known for years who'd be incredible on the high council, but live in more practical area's of town, are not offered callings like this.
More proof that with the church, Money talks, and everyone else can 'walk', if ya know what I mean.
I just get more & MORE disgusted with the Mormon church aLLLL the time. I am starting to hate ALL organized religion taboot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:51AM

You are so right; money is the most important thing to the mormon church, and here in Utah, it's " in your face" all the time. When we were active members, we saw how it was when a bishopric or stake callings happened, it was ALWAYS someone chosen who had a high paying white collar job or who owned their own business or had sold their business and made a huge profit. The highest calling my "Lamanite" husband had in the 25 years we've lived here was secretary in the Elders Quorum. During one of their meetings, they were criticizing a young man who was inactive and my husband told them they should be helping him instead of criticizing him. He was let go of the calling soon after that.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:56AM

The BoM teaches that prosperity is an indicator of righteousness.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:57AM

Mormon leaders choose the high council or SP's or Bishops the same way you choose a team for a baseball game. You pick the best players first so you have the best team.

Mormons choose the ones who will make themselves seem part of the elite team. For Mormons the best players are the ones with the most money because that is their marker for being one of God's chosen. God always rewards in dollars and status.

There are no poor G.A.s and never will be. Humility was for Jesus not for Mormons.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 01:03PM

Stake president and bishop are management positions. They're wrapped up in BS about being chosen by God and being on a higher spiritual level in order to make management easier. "Do what I say, don't question me, because God said so."

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 01:11PM

Well, kind of. This isn't about picking the best people. First, the church is about money and only money. They wrap up a big fish that earns big bucks and is a dick. That's better than trying to milk 10% out of 5 decent guys that make 1/5th of the big fish's salary and tithe. This is proof that the church doesn't care about your decency or abilities to assist the ward. It's solely based on income potential.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 10:57AM

I do think there is some sort of (subconscious ?) idea that financial success is the same as being successfully spiritually.
A reading of the Jesus ministry shows that he didn't chose the wealthy, but the poor, Infact, he wanted the wealthy to give up their wealth

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 11:09AM

This is SOP, for better or worse. Being humble and kind is not part of the job description. They are middle managers making sure ward leadership is functional, and sounding an alarm if it is not. Plus they give boring Sac Mtg talks now and then.

IMO, being humble and kind is irrelevant for high councilor, and probably viewed as a liability for SP. Those are good attributes for a Bishop or other local leaders.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 01:19PM

Mormonism is a prosperity gospel,started by an ambitious man of very little means.
In the end,it cost him his life.

The real god of Mormonism is MONEY and the church withholds nothing from that altar.

Most of us have seen the situations you describe. Unfortunately.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 07, 2018 01:37PM

Oh ya. The same old calculation: Big Tithing = Big Callings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.