Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 06:36PM

Last week I was in Banff Alberta stuck my nose in door of lids chapel as they were having tv conference for stakes from SLC. It was just spoken word on screen as I was early and not going but wanted to see if they had same broadcast as our building had. a. couple people there.

Saw that each row of pews had blankets I asked what they were for. I was told that they were for members in case they felt chilly as buildings are not as warm now.

I noticed our ward building has been chilly too and I leave church cold. Have they cut back on heating so they can build buildings in SLC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 06:40PM

Ha!
They just want MORE money than they already have.

They don't care if members freeze due to their cost cutting measures.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 10:48AM

Oh, C'mon. It's the only way they can keep people awake in those gawdawful boring meetings.

And you can never get the temp to a place where everyone is comfortable. Take it from someone who is almost always freezing if the temp is under 80. If I am comfortable, everyone else is usually sweating. I'm smart enough to always carry a wrap with me. I'm actually kind of impressed that the church provided blankets. And I'll guarantee you there were plenty of pot-bellied mormon men who were perfectly comfortable without blankets.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 05:16PM

I'll wager money those blankets weren't provided by the church, but by some Relief Society members or another group who attends there. The brethren have far more important things to worry about than the welfare of church members, after all, and providing blankets would cut into their bottom line.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 06:42PM

Cutting corners again, are they?

Well by cutting heat to the buildings will insure more of the little children will be catching colds and then spreading their germs to those around them.

To be setting out blankets on the pews sounds like a bit extreme on the heating bill, if you ask me. Why would people attend knowing they will be using blankets on the pews instead of an actual heating source?

If the church is hurting that bad, what's next? Will the lights be cut? The water supply?

Back to basics. Live like the pioneers.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 06:45PM

Cutting the heat is pathetic! It's appalling to take away people's basic needs. Cheap!

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 07:08PM

The church is far from hurting for money.

Who needs heat when you have a burning in the boob?

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 07:22PM

...yes. Corporate is likely not hurting. But I would suppose over at the financial dept. and member retention dept., they are predicting lower tithing receipts and fast offering donations going forward. These predictions, when overlayed onto the operational costs of the Church in general, will be hard to overcome. This might be a reason why PR deck chairs, policy, doctrinal issues are being seriously looked at........

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 07:17PM

IF you read certain other posts here on RFM, they will lead you to believe that LD$ inc is rolling in the MOReMONey.

LD$ inc is raking in billions off of sales at City Creek Center Mall!!! They tell you.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 01:52AM

Wrong, buzzard breath (quoting Karnak the Great). Nobody said they were taking in billions off sales at City Creek. I said City Creek retail is doing OK, based on the amount of foot traffic I regularly see. Their office space (there are four office towers at City Creek) seems to be fully leased, and is probably bringing in substantial money. "Billions" was your term, not mine.

Please try to stay within shouting distance of reality. Gracias.

Date: November 14, 2018 05:25PM

You know, I can understand wanting to see the church fail; I think it's a common sentiment among those here, who I'll venture to say have all been wronged somehow by the organization (whether that's through doctrinal issues, the devotion of our lives to a church that turned out to be a sham, tithing dollars sacrificed, psychological trauma, etc.). But I don't understand subscribing to a fiction that can only see the church magnificently failing when that clearly isn't happening yet.

It's fine to acknowledge that the church's real estate corporation is doing pretty well for itself, and not believe in the church. Because the real estate arm does appear to be doing quite well; that's just an acknowledgement of reality. If you don't believe that because of some fantasy about how they're going broke when that clearly isn't the case, you are, in my mind, of a kind with the Mormons who refuse to believe the church is anything but true based on no evidence.

Posted by: Madge ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 07:18PM

They might even ask for everyone to bring their own toilet paper.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 08:24PM

Someone in Church HQ is going to read what you wrote, Madge, and call it inspiration!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 07:19PM

Is the church actually "hurting for money," or are they cutting costs to keep more of the money they bring in?

That's really the question, isn't it...

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 01:19AM

It depends how many fingers are in the pie.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 07:46PM

I heard a rumor that the church is planning on building another 20+ story office building in SLC. Has anyone heard anything about this? The rumor was not from a reliable source so just wondering.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 08:28PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 09:35PM

Thanks, for the link, Hie.
I obviously missed BoJ's thread on this and should have looked.

Good grief.
They have money. They use it to invest which results in more money. Apparently the religion part is a side hobby.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 03:43AM

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 08:04PM

Probably not enough members in that stake are paying tithing. The church is witholding the temporal blessing of heat to teach them to pay tithing first, even if one cannot pay other important bills like heat and electricity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2018 08:05PM by mikemitchell.

Date: November 15, 2018 02:58AM

The colder it gets in that church, the more members are going to see Hell as an attractive option.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 08:21PM

It's to prop up the Tithing receipts budget.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 09:33PM

The for-profit arm of the church is doing very well. The not-for-profit arm of the church is not doing so very well.

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 10:02PM

sounds good to me. ANything that makes it easier to sleep through is a plus in my book. Not as evective as vodka and sleeping in, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 13, 2018 11:28PM

It not only saves valuable money, but also (bonus!) makes the members even more miserable.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 02:00AM

money to the LSD Church are hurting for money."

The LSD Church central planners in SLC have so much money that they've decided to become a real estate investment/development company masquerading as a church.

They're friends and relatives are standing in line to get some lucrative church contracts so that all those tithes and donations can find their way into the pockets of the people who deserve it most (i.e. the friends and relatives of the LSD Church leaders).

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 02:57AM

No way to know where the church stands financially without an audit. I wouldn't trust their books.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 07:46PM

...what method would be used for the audit? "Old Reliable" rock-in-the-hat trick, or the more scientific, with 50% odds of accuracy, "Magic Eight Ball?"

https://i.imgur.com/BInWFmi.jpg

https://quizsocial.com/quimg/8-ball/results/1.jpg

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 11:38PM

hehe

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 11:42PM

I'd pay tithing to help the wonderful church out, but we used this month's tithing to buy a 75 inch tv.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 10:36AM

Sure, they won't heat or cool their buildings for the tithing paying attendees but they have no problem wasting water on church lawns. Just like most Mormons, you must keep up the outside appearance of perfection.

Date: November 14, 2018 12:27PM

Doesn’t tithing from Canada go to BYU? Something about the tax laws.

What if they are trying to winnow the church population? If they get rid of enough people, they can liquidate. Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2018 12:28PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 01:08PM

Don't think this shows the church is hurting. It shows they're cheaping out on the member experience. I think this is a similar reason for two hour church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2018 02:08PM by dogblogger.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 01:20PM

There was a guy that the church loved to have as their manager. He was quite the pain-in-the-ass type to follow every church policy. When I served as ward clerk, he drove me nuts when I came to church hoping to find serenity during the middle of the week.

"If I open the door, you need not turn on the light switch for your office."

"Do you really need to have the computer monitor on if you're going to use the typewriter?"

"How come the air is on? If you've been running the AC then you can go before my boss and explain the utility bills...One of these days I am going to cut all of your cords."

And I always wanted him to carry out his threat of cutting the power cords. It would have been fun for processing tithing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2018 01:22PM by messygoop.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 01:28PM

The hardest thing to properly monetize is real property. If they were to lease all of their meeting houses they would make so much more money than they are by extorting tithing from their members. Same with temples. If they sell their real property than they may have an influx of cash but they are no longer able to monetize it long term.

The religion business, the way LDS inc runs it (with massive and expensive bureaucracy), has never been a sustainable way to run a business. So while their assets may be impressive and their revenue may be impressive they just aren't smart enough (willing) to run it without outpacing revenue.

The for profit side (the side that pays taxes) seems to suffer from a similar failed business sense. I suspect that the only way they can continue to grow is by getting the benefit from funneling profit back to the religion and thus get a charitable tax break.

The bottom line is that if the fuckers had to operate the same way every other business does they would sink so fast we wouldn't have time to blink.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 01:30PM

There's no way they are hurting for money. LDS headquarters is just being cheap with their McWard franchises.

They probably projected to increase their investment portfolio from $100 billion to $105 billion this year but it probably only to $104 billion. So instead of being satisfied with less than expected return they cut expenses from their tithing base.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 01:46PM

I remember meeting in newly built chapels and stake centers, but always feeling uncomfortable. They kept the thermostat real high during the summers (about 78 or 79) and real cold during winter months (64-65). Part of being conditioned was being told to remove your outdoor coat while attending meetings inside of a refrigerator. This was especially true of the YM-YW where we were told that we couldn't wear a warm jacket while administering the sacrament. Likewise, we were told that we had to wear suit jackets and or vests (with long sleeves) during summers.

Ah, the good old days!

The over-zealous YW prez stalking two 16 year old girls because they refused to remove their heavy coats. The girls would rather stand outside in the freezing rain then remove their overcoats for SS in a cold church building.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 01:55PM

SEcular Priest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last week I was in Banff Alberta stuck my nose in
> door of lids chapel as they were having tv
> conference for stakes from SLC. It was just
> spoken word on screen as I was early and not going
> but wanted to see if they had same broadcast as
> our building had. a. couple people there.
>
> Saw that each row of pews had blankets I asked
> what they were for. I was told that they were for
> members in case they felt chilly as buildings are
> not as warm now.
>
> I noticed our ward building has been chilly too
> and I leave church cold. Have they cut back on
> heating so they can build buildings in SLC.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 03:35PM

It's a corporate move. Want-to-be executives at LDS, Inc., like at all big corporations, need to make a name for themselves during their corporate climb, by showing how they can save the corporation money. Turning down the thermostat in all church buildings will save big $$$, especially during the cold winter months. I'm sure this was presented via a power point presentation at one of the corporate meetings. The corporate climber will probably be promoted and can put it on their resume: "saved corporation millions of dollars annually by lowering the thermostat in all church buildings."

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 07:29PM

On the gright side, cooler interior temperatures may mitigate that LDS building odor.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 07:59PM

These people aren't skint, even if wards are receiving less money. They are just miserly, and feel no reason not to take it out on the members.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 08:25PM

I think we are thinking alike Margie. Who is going to keep the blankets CLEAN? My first thought was about germs. My second, bugs. This is just a bad idea.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 08:34PM

Ever since moving to Utah, I never take off my coat at church. Not because of the cold, but because I had two coats stolen off the ward coat rack, and I wasn't going to have a third coat stolen.

Dogblogger is right. Someone should do the math. One less hour of heat/AC, and lights every Sunday, multiplied by all the wards in the world = that saves a ton in energy costs!

I'm surprised they don't save on carpet wear and tear, and make members take off their shoes, like in their damned temples.

Date: November 15, 2018 11:26PM

This reminds me of an experience in junior high school. When my oldest brother went on his mission, he gave me his Cincinnati Reds jacket and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. One weekend I wore it to church, and made the mistake of hanging it up on one of the coat racks. We had the 1-4pm block that year, and at the end of priesthood meeting, sure enough--the jacket was gone.

Meanwhile, at my local gym there's a rack by the door for people to hang their keys while they work out. Guess how many key rings go missing?

Mormons, it turns out, are assholes.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 07:26PM

There’s a reason the temples have lockers (with keyed locks) in their changing rooms.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 09:51PM

I'm thinking they're looking at the difference between church revenue & business revenue & they're liking business revenue more & more...

just sayin'

Date: November 15, 2018 04:11AM

A church that doesn’t totally suck can’t produce faith unto exaltation.

Date: November 15, 2018 04:57PM

And uses institutional means to keep attendees alert [not asleep].

If is is warm [comfortable], people will nod off... and on and on.
If it is cold-cool, people will at least appear more alert (mad) [uncomfortable].

LDSink doesn't care if anyone is comfortable or uncomfortable. The twig I grew up in had gas heaters and people would situate themselves accordingly [tscc is so cheap].
In the summer, it was the opposite: people fanning themselves so fervently, it was dizzying.

The 'church' kept saying if they'd get more members, in any way possible, a new building would be built (out of town, on the highway, probably closer/ more convenient for visiting indignitaries). I think 48 members were there, accidentally, one Sunday, 15 years later, and they built a chattle. The old building houses another church, that undoubtedly updated it [with it's small, but dedicated membership (that doesn't have a BIG parent church leaching off of it].

M@t

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 08:06PM

I hear tithing is being raised to 20%.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 05:26AM

Using blankets in chapels, but plan to build multiple temples over the next few years.

Thanks for the gumball Mickey!

Date: November 18, 2018 11:08PM

Hunting (fear is the ammunition) in member's deep and holey pockets.

CASH[tax-FREE]-free, in unmarked [higher] bills, preferably.

It hunts under water, in the cover of darkness: LDS institutions

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.