Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 09:24PM

the HOA of ziller's exclusive beach-front gated community is proposing a new rule that all home owners are required to submit to random drug tests every year starting 01/01/2019 ~

this is to ensure that this exclusive beach-front gated community is drug-free ~

already there is a lot of opposition with home owners saying they won't submit to any drug test and are even threatening legal action ~

the proposed rule calls for a warning for a first-time positive test and a second positive test is grounds for eviction ~

refusal to submit to a test will be considered the same as testing positive ~

~ ¿ why would any home owner refuse to submit to a random drug test if they are clean and hab nothing to hide ? ~

a home owner would look like a liberal hippy for even protesting this proposed HOA rule and prolly get evicted some other way somehow ~

~ ¿ right ? ~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 09:29PM

Next HOA meeting, ask them for proof that the HOA's liability insurance is paid up so that you can be assured of a full treasure pot from which the verdicts that are won against the HOA will be paid.

I don't think CC&Rs can be altered without a vote, and it sure sounds like it would take a rewriting to establish their right to conduct said drug testing.

I'd fricking torch their cabanas...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 12:34AM

Torch their cabanas or torch their cannabis?

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 09:37PM

HOAS are just like the church. External micromanaging control freaks that want your money. So glad I'm not involved in one of those nightmares as well.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 11:12PM

Drug tests don't really test whether the person uses drugs, they test if the person knows how to use google.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 11:32PM

I've never seen any good come from an HOA.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 14, 2018 11:48PM

Many years ago, we had a random in-office drug test. I didn't think anything of it until I was called into the maanager's office and told that I had tested positive for narcotics.

I reminded the manager that the day before, I had left work early, with a migraine. I explained that as always, I had gone to the local ER and was given an injection of some kind of narcotic (I don't remember any more what it was) and Phenergan for vomiting. That's what I always had to do for migraines.

The manager demanded that I bring the discharge note from the ER. That showed clearly why I tested positive. I could tell that the manager was disappointed that I had a valid reason for having a narcotic in my system. We had kind of a hate/hate relationship.

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 01:17AM

Darn that pesky piece of vellum called the constitution. That sill part about being no searches and not having to incriminate ones self.

Darn all those veterans that died to make sure it was the supreme law if the land.

Wait until the HOA demands no notice access to your home for health and safety inspections oh and no fire arms or dangerous weapons either. They'll search to make sure you're safe.

While their at it. Maybe they'll perform monthly credit checks and background checks to make sure you're the type of people they want living there.

Be sure to be married to your partner too.

Oh and get that monthly ecclesiastical endorsement or get out.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 01:59AM

I agree. It's better to object at the initial irrelevant and unreasonable intrusion than to wait until what they're proposing actually impacts you.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 02:06AM

Ask them if they test for LDS.

Maybe they can recommend drugs that they like, but I’m pretty sure it’s racially motivated. You could remind the HOA that they could easily be painted with that brush if they tried to enforce it, even if it’s not. Getting slammed in the media for being a bunch of racist crackers will reduce the value of your home and then you’ll have to sue to make up the loss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2018 08:49AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 04:04AM

Thank the sun god I have no HOA.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 08:14AM

Ziller, it sounds like your community will rightfully shoot that down. But in any event, it may not be legal. Employers have a right to drug test as a condition of employment. In many jurisdictions, landlords have a right to drug test as a condition of offering a rental contract. Some high schools drug test their students as a condition of being eligible for after school activities. But mandatory drug testing for a home owner? I can't see how that will fly. Is the HOA proposing changing the covenants? Because it all goes back to the covenants.

My HOA generally does a good job, but sometimes gets a bit full of itself. When that happens, we have to remind the HOA that we are owners and not renters.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2018 05:57PM by summer.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 09:45AM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 12:09PM

I have a feeling that Jeff Sessions retired to Florida and is active in his HOA.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 11:38PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a feeling that Jeff Sessions retired to
> Florida and is active in his HOA.

He sure wasn't very active as Attorney General!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 12:43AM

To the contrary, Sessions did everything possible within the scope permitted by the constitution--and beyond.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2018 12:45AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 05:36PM

...in the old days, (20's-30's), if some jackass proposed this type of rule in an Italian neighborhood, for example, in the Bronx or Queens, they would have found him face down in a ditch. Why do we put up with this?.....especially as we are the ones feeding the beast?

..ziller need facepaint, go out at night, find asshat, hurt bad.

Posted by: KesslerTheNevermo ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 08:59PM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 09:18PM

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 11:30PM

no bae ~ thx 4 asking ~

ziller be posting from community conference centre kitchen microwave oven to RfM in order to avoid detection ~

brb ~ this sh!t be getting real ~

brb ~ bunch of dudes saw elderolddog's post ~

in b 4 ~ they try to burn down some bodys cabana ~

brb ~ keeping RfM posted ~

brb ~ brb ~

Posted by: Sassafras ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 01:17AM

Ziller, I love you. Thanks for providing excellent entertainment value to my otherwise craptastic day.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 09:25PM

In an effort to bring this on-topic...

Is the board stuffed with mormons? 'Cause this sounds like something they would do...

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 09:57PM

I did a quick google and all I could find was about renting. I did find that in FL state law bars most people from serving on an HOA board if they have a felony conviction. Might want to be sure these people have been checked ;) We had an HOA for 25 years and they really went cray at one point. Forbidding people to put ANYTHING on their windowsills. Nope, sorry Little Charley, you can't put that Christmas candle in the window for Jesus. Well, that was overturned the next month. They only have the power you give them. I do strongly suggest you go to your monthly meetings and perhaps get involved in some way. There are things besides just the board in some places. For instance, I used to walk around with the bug guy every month.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 15, 2018 11:18PM

This is easily some of the craziest shit I've ever heard re: HOAs. Drug use, in and of itself, is not a civil matter; it's a criminal matter. Is the HOA trying to become an incorporated town with its own municipal code and law enforcement? Is the HOA receiving a charter from the state to establish a city/town? This is so stupid.

Unless the HOA magically transforms itself into a legit city/town, they *still* can't require mandatory drug testing without probable cause.

The HOA is HAF.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2018 12:20AM by Beth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.