Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 16, 2018 09:55PM

disgusting.

Hatch is nothing more than a shill for special interests including the NRA, 'food supplements' industry, others.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 02:33AM

"Others" would include the Mormon Church, aka the Church of Christ.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 09:45AM

Historischer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Others" would include the Mormon Church, aka the
> Church of Christ.

No - the Church of Christ, as well as The Church of Jesus Christ are the legal names of other Churches. L-d$,inc using those names and telling others to do so is dishonest.

As for BorinOrrin - he is a jackass carpetbagger who is perfect for Utah which will now have anotehr carpetbagger in TheMittster - he who can't figure out if he is coming or going without someone telling him.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 07:59AM

I thought metals of freedom were for soldiers? this is just baaaad!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 20, 2018 09:32AM

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the United States of America's highest civilian honor.

It's usually reserved for people who make outstanding contributions to science, the arts, culture, sports, humanitarianism and public service. In that sense, it's perhaps not unusual to award it to someone like Senator Hatch, who has a long career as a public official (whether you like his politics or not, he does the work).

That doesn't mean that Mr. Trump is debasing the value of this prestigious award on other fronts. See Adelson, Miriam.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 01:16AM

political hacks and allies is nothing new. Obama gave the medals out like they were tootsie rolls and to a large number of dubious Congress critters. I'm no fan of Hatch, but this is pretty much par for the course for the medal. It's a political gesture and has about as much substance to it as the awards given out by the Wizard of Oz.

Even the Nobel Prize has become so politicized that it has become something of a joke, with the "peace prize" often being given to most enthusiastic warmongers and war-facilitators on the planet.

The "Medal of Freedom" for its part has always been one of those contrived "honors" used to shape perceptions and reward allies.

In most cases, I doubt that it's even the president participating in selecting nominees. Influential donors, supporters or lobby groups, etc. make their case and if the president doesn't have any particular (political) reason to reject it, it goes through. I wouldn't even be surprised if the idea for this originated from Hatch and it was part of a quid-pro-quo arrangement for a vote in the Senate.

To people who aren't hard of thinking, the award is about as relevant as a boy scout "citizenship" merit badge or about as useful of one of those special "tokens" you can get in the temple.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 08:27AM

I just thought of a great name for a MMJ product: Orin Hash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2018 08:28AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 09:38AM

Excellent idea. No doubt they can figure out a way to make it a pyramid scheme and exempt from regulations.

Before you know it, the WoW will have an Orwellian change. They will say they always taught that herbs were good.
Plus they will act like they never taught against it. They will say thanks to their efforts, they were responsible for making it legal in the world. Jesus endorses Orin Hash!

But I digress.
I just don't see Hatch as Medal of Freedom material.

Posted by: rosysam ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 04:47PM

We always referred to him as Oral Hatch. It seemed a better fit for a man like him.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 09:49AM

Consider the source. Best quote of the week: Trump is a bull who carries his own China shop with him.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:32PM

Trump is the only president who had the courage to move the U.S. embassy into Jersusalem, thus making it the de facto capital of Israel.

You may not like him but the man does keep his campaign promises.
Future generation may see him differently than the sour grapers who are always looking for something to complain about.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:47PM

Elyse Wrote:
> Trump is the only president who had the courage
> to move the U.S. embassy into Jersusalem, thus
> making it the de facto capital of Israel.

Perhaps you could explain why that is a good thing?

Posted by: Just Thinking ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 12:48AM

Promises? Oh yeah, I've been admiring that 'big, beautiful wall' that Mexico paid for - - - - -

Date: November 21, 2018 02:10AM

There are a raft of unfulfilled promises, including the wall but also the promise just last week that the administration would violate the constitution by eliminating birthright citizenship. That was of course nonsense; the courts would not allow that, so of course the promise evaporated like due on a hot summer day.

But there are other promises that were patently destructive of US interests. The removal of the embassy is one such move. It prevents peace rather than facilitating it. So I get concerned when people look at a policy and praise its implementation without bothering to consider whether it was a wise policy.

The enthusiastic embrace of self-destructive initiatives is, to say the least, unsettling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 03:12AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: anon today ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 12:43PM

Could be worse. Don't recall where, but I read that Orrin's great desire is to be named to SCOTUS. Now *that* would be an epic disaster for the republic.

The medal as Orrin's consolation prize is tolerable, even if it does debase the award somewhat.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 03:01PM

It could happen tomorrow. If RBG decides her injury is too great, she could resign- or even die, if her injury goes bad. So let us all pray for her.

Date: November 17, 2018 03:11PM

Hatch always wanted a seat on the court, but he's past his "sell by" date.

Recall that Trump has a list of candidates, produced by the Federalist Society, that he chooses from. Hatch is not on that list.

Date: November 21, 2018 03:41AM

first, second, third......twenty-first, twenty-second....fiftieth or even sixtieth choice for a SCOTUS nomination. Maybe sixty-first choice?

At this point, I don't think Hatch himself would be all that interested. I imagine the whole reason he's retiring is that he's out of gas and drifting into a fog.

Date: November 21, 2018 03:42AM

Indeed. Dude is around the bend.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 02:40PM

For what ??????

Date: November 17, 2018 03:10PM

That's pretty obvious, I'd think, Kathleen. I'm going to avoid offending the ruling moderators by letting Trump and Hatch speak for themselves.

Here's what Trump said about Hatch in early 2018: "Orrin is—I love listening to him speak...he actually once said I'm the greatest president in the history of our country and I said, 'Does that include Lincoln and Washington?' He said yes. I said, 'I love this guy.'"

https://www.newsweek.com/greatest-president-trump-orrin-hatch-797615

Trump's statement was not far from the mark. In November 2017, Hatch tweeted: "To be fair, [Trump's] the best President I’ve served 'under' in terms of line of succession. If we’re talking best Presidents I’ve served alongside, that list would also include Lincoln, Reagan, and James K. Polk, who really knew how to command a room."

https://twitter.com/orrinhatch/status/936016609126338560?lang=en

So there you have it. Hatch thinks Trump is a better president than Lincoln, under whom Hatch thinks he served.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2018 04:35PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 19, 2018 07:31PM

.....cause' he's Orrin Hack, Reigning King of all Utah!

Mitt will still have to kiss his ring.............

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 04:25PM

the word term "carpetbagger" was first applied to Northerners who used cheap luggage (bags made from used carpets) to travel south for political (other?) employment that some southerners were (temporarily?) ineligible for because of civil war involvement...

Hatch was born in Pennsylvania, so there is some element him being open to relocation for work / careers.

Romney was born in Michigan but has worked in private orgs & elective offices in different states.
I have previously written that some MORMONS share this tendency of being nomadic, I observed it first-hand in the Seattle area starting in the 60's.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 19, 2018 07:56PM

GNPE Wrote:
> Romney was born in Michigan but has worked in
> private orgs & elective offices in different
> states.

...and still owns this, near me (not that I live in HIS swanky neighborhood, of course!):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/311-Dunemere-Dr-La-Jolla-CA-92037/16849324_zpid/

Date: November 19, 2018 07:59PM

A paltry $15 million. It's a pity he had to sell some of his stock portfolio to finance that Harvard education.

Hard times.

Date: November 21, 2018 03:56AM

Ronna Romney McDaniel. (Who names their daughter Ronna Romney? But then who names their son Mitt?)

It's all a club for a few families, just like the top levels of the LSD Church have always been.

One of the few good results of the 2016 election is that we may have avoided a situation where we would have had nothing but Bushes and Clintons in the White House for a period of about 33 years out of a total of 41 years (with only Obama stuck in the middle to break up the monotony--or should that be duotony?) (Yes, I'm counting the Reagan years when George senior actually managed much of the policy.) It could easily have come down to another Bush (Jeb!) vs. Clinton election. Amazing that out of a population of 350 million or so...you always get the same retreads.

Date: November 21, 2018 04:07AM

And sometimes you buy new tires and the car skids off the road.

Date: November 21, 2018 04:18AM

to be driving are always falling asleep at the wheel and let the tires go wherever they want to go, it doesn't really matter if you get new tires or retreads.

The retreads managed to carry us into half a dozen endless and pointless wars, completely destroying a number of countries and squandering trillions of dollars of borrowed money in the process, so I've never been a fan of retreads and I don't expect new tires to solve the problem either.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 20, 2018 11:02AM

And the beat goes on. Politics as usual. Orrin Hatch helped Trump get elected so he gets a gold star. Also why would an ex-governor like Mitt Romney want to be a junior Us senator from Utah? Another presidential run? Maybe run as an independent to spoil a Trump win in 2020? I don't think Mitt likes Trump. Trump needs to win favor with the people in Utah for the next election. Trump needs to be in favor with the Mormons because he fears Mitt might piss on the party.

Date: November 21, 2018 03:24AM

This is good thinking.

Romney will be Utah's junior senator in name only. With his international experience, riches, political connections, and wide range of advisors, he'll be a top 10 senator from Day One. Trump has to be concerned about him.

Why would Romney want the job? What else can he do? He's been governor of a bigger and more important state than Utah, he's made a ton of money, and he's been close enough to smell the presidency. Senator is about the best available option. Moreover, it brings a range of interesting political possibilities: while Hillary Clinton is on the sidelines saying "me, me, me" when the Dems discuss the next presidential election, Romney is in position to engage in political debates that give him national exposure and a chance to build his reputation.

I don't for a minute think he's given up on the White Horse prophecy. Ride in to rescue the constitution? Sure, that's the ticket.

Date: November 21, 2018 04:02AM

But for all the wrong reasons, from what I can tell.

Mitt thrived as a corporate raider in what is euphemistically called a global "free market" model.

Although, rhetoric aside, I doubt that Trump will actually substantially threaten that model as a whole, certain previously secure players in that model may be pushed aside to make room for a different set. Mitt already has his fortune, but he probably "owes" in one way or another a lot of people who are still active in the game.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: November 20, 2018 12:45PM

Well, he helped rolled back Bears Ears and Escalante and "freed" that land up for extraction.

And, as a bonus, screwed over those pesky Lamanites at the same time.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 20, 2018 01:51PM

GNPE Wrote:
> disgusting.
>
> Hatch is nothing more than a shill for special interests...

Unfortunately this describes almost everyone in Congress and the bulk of politicians at any level.

I want politicians who are nothing more than shills for *common* interests. You know, what a government for the people by the people is supposed to be, a place to serve the common interests of the citizenry.

Hey, how about a freedom medal for Julian Assange?

No?

Can we at least stop torturing him?

Human

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 01:51AM

so you are upset that Hatch got the Freedom Medal .....this will make you feel better !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l1pfb6UXfk

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.