Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 17, 2018 08:39PM

Since it’s an ultra conservative culture, the people who are low in openness float to the top so that they have a monoculture that operates as an ideological echo chamber. There are no dissenting voices because they all see the world the same way. Even small changes, like going to a 2-hour block, are seen as mountains. Just imagine a big change, like dropping the BoA or Correlation or the BoM. It will never happen, even if that’s what’s needed to save the church.

This is where the church really shoots itself in the foot. Utah and Arizona are becoming better balanced between conservative and liberal temperaments, which is what you need to address problems rather than gaze at navels. But the church doesn’t have that diversity. Instead, it has ideological possession. They can’t see the other side. Jonathan Haidt lays this concept out nicely in his books and TED talks. They are out of touch with their constituents because their in-group has no diversity. They never have to adjust their perception, so those “muscles” atrophy.

Meanwhile a lot of us in RfM seem to be high in openness. Not all of us, but a healthy mix. The world would be in big trouble if everyone were as hippie dippy as me. Maybe the open types never fit in at church. We were waiting for the insanity to be resolved in the next life. No need, the church is bogus. Yup, I could leave, should leave, and I wasn’t the problem. It was them and still is. Could there be a form of Mormonism that appeals to me? We’ll never know. Everyone who pushes for it gets excommunicated.

Which is a blessing for those questioning whether leaving the church is the right decision. Reform is clearly impossible. You can’t stay in a relationship with an abuser because your abuser is incapable of change. There’s a weird control dynamic that depends on a mixture of willing dupes and narcissists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 11:31AM

Very well said. I, personally, doubt that things will change much in a decade or two. Cults thrive on being insular. The current leaders are identifying and grooming the next round of closed-minded bigots. And, it seems there are plenty of younger Mormons ready to step up to mind control.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 11:55AM

The monoculture doesn't just float to the top, it pushes out the open people. Not intentionally, perhaps, but by being hard to cope with.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 12:02PM

Excellent point !!!! Thank you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.