Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: commonsense ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 09:28PM

I attended a YSA ward the first Sunday of this month. Of course, as you know, it was Fast and Testimony meeting. I did notice an interesting thing: everytime a sister went up to the stand and sat by the stake president; the stake president would do a little chat chat. Everytime a brother sat by the stake president he would not say anything. Evidentally, the stake president has a favorable response to the sisters and not so favorable to the brethern.

My experience in YSA wards there is a huge double standard. The sisters can do no wrong, but the brethern can do no right. It creates what I like to call the "spoiled princess" syndrome. They can walk all over the brethern, but if a brother does anything wrong then he is the bad guy. If the Church continues on the path, they will continue to see fewer and fewer brethern getting married because who wants to be married to a "spoiled princess?"

If you ask me, the Church ought to bring back polygamy and allow all those sisters who want to get married to apostles the opportunity to do so. After all, save be the these fifteen men, no brother is a good enough for these righteous chicks.
I had one girl actually tell me that her friend wanted to marry the future president of the Church. My bet is that sister should marry Bednar when the Church allows polygamy because I think he has an excellence chance for the church presidency.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 10:39PM

Yeah, we females are sneaky like that. The whole "second class citizen" thing works really well for us.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 01:10AM

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 01:10AM

Posted by: passingthrough ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:41PM

Summer, I'm certain commonsense was not inferring a negative on the women of church or women in general, but more how the "brethren" pander to the female gender (not always of course). I know my wife has gotten away with stuff at church that I would never be able to pull off, I believe simply becasue of gender.

I think the church is afraid of what might happen if it should lose support of the women--now there's a thought!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:43PM

That's kind of the way it shakes out among the FLDS. National Geographic ran an article last year on Colorado City/Hildale. It stated that most of the men tended to be the demur types, and the women tended to be more assertive.

This, they surmised, is because all but the top male leaders have to toe the line or get run off the compound. The pretty ladies are always welcome to stay. Leaders tend not to be as picky about little "sins."

Mormonism is certainly patriarichal, but the buck stops with the men who are on top. Certainly women, even pretty princesses, are second class, but a man who is low on the priesthood pecking order is even worse off.

Posted by: Alexis ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 01:02AM

In the Stake President's mind, the women are not married because no worthy male has proposed. The men, however, are supposed to be the proposers and are to propose away until they get a worthy woman to say yes. All of the people in this YSA ward are inferior because they are not married. The fault, however, in the mind of the Stake President, lies with the men, who are the gender which has the power to do something about inferior unmarried status. The men are, therefore, unworthy of the stake president's chit chat.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.