Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 11:47AM

It would seem that Utah has gone back in time either to pre WW2 Germany or BY's iron fisted rule.
Utah voters passed Prop 2 regarding medical cannabis. This morning's Salt Lake Tribune had the following article: "Senate leader warns lawmakers he may compel them to vote on medical marijuana legislation". On December 3rd, there is going to be a special session on medical marijuana. Utah Senate President Wayne Niederhauser said: "As Senate President, I can compel attendance of absent senators. While I don't believe that will be necessary in this case, due to the importance of the special session, I will not hesitate to order the sergeant-at-arms to find and ensure your attendance." Niederhauser is active LDS. "Niederhauser's email illustrates a desperation to appease the church and muscle through the bill replacing Prop 2". "The threat to arrest and force state senators to attend a special session of the Legislature to undermine the popular passage of Prop 2 will be viewed throughout future history as a blatant power-grab by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and it's allies."
Whatever happened to separation of church and state? I feel like it is now: "heil Niederhauser!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedocumentor ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 11:55AM

Who needs democracy when you have the church telling people what's right and wrong?

I wonder how many of the Morg who *appear*, outwardly, to be loyal members,. have strong doubts.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 12:25PM

I'm at a loss as to how the legislature can overrule a proposition that the voters passed, but I suppose that will be for the courts to sort out.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:51PM

It depends how the state constitution is written. It could be that propositions only require legislative consideration or that the legislature formulate bills to enact the proposition, giving the state senate a lot of leeway over how the law will be written.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 04:50PM

unfortunately, as soon as it passed it became a law which can be modified or repealed by the legislature.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 05:02PM

A while back Arizonans pushed through a law preventing this sort of end run around the people. I forgot the details, but it made it much more difficult for the legislature to modify or repeal a ballot initiative. Perhaps an AZ RfM-er can fill us in.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: November 19, 2018 01:51AM

summer wrote: "I'm at a loss as to how the legislature can overrule a proposition that the voters passed, but I suppose that will be for the courts to sort out."

Prop 8 was passed in California in 2008 and was overturned.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 19, 2018 09:40AM

Leaving Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prop 8 was passed in California in 2008 and was
> overturned.

Yes, but not by the state legislature. It was ruled unconstitutional by a federal court in 2010.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:15PM

That’s what happens when you keep voting for reactionary nut jobs.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:22PM

More Like "Heil Nelson". Neidermeyer, like all Utekazistan GOP politicians, take their marching orders from the church. Just like SSM, this will end up in court, costing us taxpayers millions in legal fees. It's the Utah way, always has been, always will be.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:26PM

That's what happens when the legislators temple oath to obey the church supersede their oath to protect and defend the constitution and laws of Utah.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:55PM

There’s that. In the eyes of TBMs, church leaders are above the law. If the leaders asked TBMs to break the law, like take multiple wives or loot their neighbors, they would. The law of the land is based in philosophy that must be defective because it’s not Mormon.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:27PM

They are admitting that elections have no meaning ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 01:28PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:41PM

They don't like elections! But they have no problem working with surveys!

Oh those wacky True Believing mormons!

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 01:52PM

Hehehehe. You can't make this stuff up.

Posted by: exmonion ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 04:06PM

No meaning at all, in the "Good Ol' Boy" state of Utah.

On a personal level, my children and I have careers that do not rely at all on the Mormon cult. We don't work for Mormons or with. There are plenty of honest non-Mormons in Utah and across the Nation to work with. (I admit it: I'm prejudiced against Mormons, due to experience.)

In Utah, it's all about "who you know." Who are your relatives? What ward do you live in? What calling do you have? What does your husband do for a living? What ward do you live in?

A new physical therapist is replacing my retired one. He had new pictures in the office, of him on his mission and at BYU. He asked me, "Are you LDS?" It was an innocent question, as he grew up in my neighborhood, and was wondering if I knew his parents. Still, I changed doctors.

Ya gotta keep escaping from that "long arm of the church."

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: November 19, 2018 12:50AM

I tend to seek out non Mormon medical care. I prefer science to superstition.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: November 18, 2018 04:21PM

If it passed, the legislature would always have been behind the actual implementation. So this isn't surprising.

Proposition 2 as written runs a deficit of about 1.1 million dollars. That's something the legislature needs to fix.

Governor Herbert wanted to pass some fom of legalization of medical mj that wasn't prop 2.

So there is quite a bit of support for something to get done. As a resident, I'm glad they're getting things running. And hopefully fixing up the funding and such.

Posted by: Norris Fishbein ( )
Date: November 19, 2018 01:06AM

it's opposite, namely a form of punishment administered by the EU against the Brits for having the audacity to vote to leave the EU.

That's the way this Machiavellian world works.

Remember that your vote counts, but only if you vote the way your superiors want you to vote. So get out there and vote!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 19, 2018 06:28AM

It shows that many mormons are for prop 2, so them messing with it will cause more mormons to say WTH? The church has been trying for MONTHS to get the members to fall in line and they obviously didn't.

I don't remember when I was an active member that church members went against what the leaders told them to do. Only until gay marriage and marijuana were issues have I seen some mormons vote against the leaders. At least we have that. They can fight it all they want. It is coming, just like gay marriage happened, so they punished the children as that was their only alternative. So we'll see who they punish when marijuana is legal in Utah.

There has already been a lawsuit filed about this situation.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 19, 2018 12:38PM

What separates church and state [of mind]?
Nothing, as long as tscc uses it's strong arm.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.