Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: godesstogodless ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:36PM

ADHD - impulsive decision making (surrender your whole life over to the church after only 2 lessons).

OCD - Obsess over everything and everyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: apples ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:42PM

NPD

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:51PM

Narcissism - but that's technically a personality disorder.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:57PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 14, 2011 11:58PM

Different appearances to different people/groups D'oh!!!!

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 12:18AM

Borderline personality disorder-------as long as your giving your God, but when you say no or stop giving your the devil.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 12:29AM

It's up and down between opposite moods. You feel warm fuzzies listening to crap, yay, you feel uncomfortable with facts though. You are soooo happy and grateful about this or that but you're depressed all the time. You are proud to be so incredible meek. It's great to have "the truth" but you can never live up to it. You are arrogant but "humble". e.t.c.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 12:34AM

Dissociative personality disorder. See the list of symptoms here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder.

Here's my post, http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,213190,213298#msg-213298 (from last week), lining up the symptoms with typically Mormon behaviors and beliefs. It's amazing how well the two line up.

If you want to make much of the distinction between "mental illnesses" as opposed to "personality disorders," it boils down to the idea that the illnesses can come and go but that the disorders are a deeper part of the individual's make-up, some disorders even seen as advantageous in society. The distinction is controversial and confused though. See a useful discussion of the differences here: http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/180/2/110.

Posted by: testiphony ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 01:29AM

I found the memory loss part interesting. It seems to parallel the Mormon Selective Memory we all post about on here. I for one have witnessed events one would be expected to remember fall totally out of the heads of my TBM parents.

Could be them getting older, however, the things they tend to forget are things they obviously found unpleasant (for example they drove me through Europe for 8 hours bearing down in fervent testimony about my choices. It didn't go the way they wanted. A couple years later they both have no recollection of the discussion even taking place). Otherwise they're mostly sharp.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 02:58AM

I suffered hives during the process of leaving the church and after that I experienced bizarre memory loss. I thought I had early Alzheimer's or something. I don't know what the fuck was going on. I couldn't remember easy stuff. Now it's coming back and is almost normal. I mean I read things for a living that I'm supposed to be able to remember and talk about. If I can't remember what I've read then I'm screwed as far as this livelihood goes (college professor).

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 12:36AM

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html
Profile of the Sociopath

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 12:59AM

Posted by: beeblequix ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 01:16AM

Rectal-cranial inversion disorder.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 01:25AM

Attributing your own thoughts to an external voice that isn't there.

Posted by: fifteensixty ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 01:33AM

I dont what best describes them. But I so know they gave me severe anxiety disorder because I took it all very seriously for 40 years. Trying to be perfect destroyed me.

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 02:31AM

Awwww. Sorry!

Is that why soo many folks in the Church just look dead and lifeless, depressed, suicidal, hopeless?

So much for a restoration!

Posted by: AIC ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 02:32AM

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: June 15, 2011 09:59AM

If an individual had the same social skills and attributes as the Church does with its members, he would probably be diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder.

"You love me, right? Prove it, then prove it some more. If you don't keep proving it forever and ever, then I'll know you don't love me."

"I'm so persecuted. I think what I'll do is go and start fights with everyone in the world. If I get punched in the face I'll roll on the ground screaming and moaning for two hours. Then I'll go back to my family with a black eye and a bloody nose and prove to them, once again, that I'm persecuted. I'll tell them about it over and over."

"If my wife asks where all the money has gone, I'll tell her it's none of her business. If she keeps asking, then I'll tell her she doesn't trust me enough and therefore isn't worthy of me. If she keeps pressing, and won't accept the previous answers, I'll kick her out of the house."

"I'm an open book, you can ask me anything. Just don't ask me anything that might make me look stupid, because then I'll beat the hell out of you. Just ask me things like, 'Why are you so awesome?' and 'Can you flex your biceps for me?'"

On and on...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.