Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 06:44PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 07:22PM

Because I live in a zone for a high risk natural disaster. So a certain level of preparedness is warranted.

Date: November 28, 2018 07:33PM

for something that will (probably) never happen such as:

The Rapture
Helter Skelter
RAHOWA
Ragnarok
Zombies
Graboids

or anything that your cult leader tells you will bring about the end of the world...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2018 07:38PM by anybody.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 07:44PM

You mean as in spiritually "prepping"? Not material preparation?
Other than mormonism, and the extreme militia types???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2018 07:45PM by angela.

Date: November 28, 2018 08:10PM

and the cult leadership told you to prepare for it, they told you that it was just around the corner and could happen any second, and that you must have vast quatities of supplies on hand to be ready, and held apocalyptic disaster drills for whatever it was because it might happen -- right now...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2018 08:12PM by anybody.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 11:47PM

VIKINGS!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 12:18AM

there is that.

I see them everywhere, walking around in a daze staring at devices glued to their hands. I suspect nefarious forces operating behind the scenes have placed these enzombification devices into the hands of these creatures that once were real human beings just like you and me.

They walk into traffic, block escalators, stand in elevator doorways, walk off cliffs and walk into trees. I sometimes see them going into supermarkets where they proceed to ram shopping carts into supermarket customers. Their thumbs are always twitching for some reason.... I used to think this was the stuff of Twilight Zone fiction. Now I'm living through it.

I was never prepared for this zombie infestation. I didn't know how to prepare. Why didn't the Prophet warn us??? That 15-year-old wheat in my parents' basement is useless against the zombies.

Posted by: antsclimbingtrees ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 08:28AM

^this.
The smartphone thing creeps me out. watching groups of people who are ostensibly friends sit around a table and completely ignore each other while they do whatever it is people do on smartphiones is really creepy.

Posted by: Sillyrabbit ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 12:27PM

Looks like you shifted the goalposts here. Dogblogger adequately answered your question and you failed to acknowledge it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 06:55PM

dogblogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because I live in a zone for a high risk natural
> disaster. So a certain level of preparedness is
> warranted.

Same here. We are prepared for disaster. Prepared to run like cockroaches up a drainpipe.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 11:41PM

...yeah, I'm prepping. Prepping to be room temperature.....

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 28, 2018 11:56PM

I'm a semi-prepper. I keep about a month's supply of food on hand.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 12:31AM

That is some seriously good advertising. You can't make this stuff up.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 05:53PM

It's a blipvert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJP-Ilw_xaY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 05:54PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 12:29AM

mostly because I'm too lazy to go to the grocery store more than once a month. For the fresh green stuff, I just pick it up whenever I need it when I'm walking around town.

But, laziness aside, I don't see anything wrong with stockpiling and rotating a month's worth (or even a few months' worth, if you have the space) of necessities. Sh*t happens.

If you have a lot of "preppers" in your neighborhood that just means you'll have that many fewer people running around like chickens with their heads cut off and storming the local supermarket if the increasingly precarious "just in time" supply chain gets disrupted.

The term "prepper" like the term "conspiracy theorist" is a pejorative and dismissive term that carelessly sweeps reasonable, thoughtful and often correct people into the same bin as certifiably insane nutjobs.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 12:30AM

I'm definitely a prepper.

I keep a year's supply of food just down the street at the supermarket.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 02:09AM

I see the wisdom in prepping, not 30 years worth and grinding your own wheat.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 11:46AM

Actually, this is one of the topics that I am ok with.

Years ago I worked with a never-mo guy who suggested that the world was going to descend into chaos. I no longer think this is due to prophecy but I do see that things get out of control. I am not extreme about it.

Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 01:26PM

Yes, and I'm a better prepper now that I'm not a TBM. I have about three months of food, but not whole wheat. It's food that we would actually eat and could easily prepare. Some of it is half of a cow frozen in the freezer. Some of it is canned food that could be added to boiled rice to make it taste better. I have two propane tanks and some gasoline stored, a small travel trailer, a few solar panels, batteries, inverters, and a few guns. I have a generator and chain saw. I have stored water and a well that I can power through the inverter and my vehicle. I got involved in amateur radio in the last year and can do voice and digital HF and VHF/UHF. I conduct drills regularly and make sure my kids know where the fire extinguisher is and how to turn off the utilities. If all of this sounds like too much, it isn't. My family has survived comfortably through two hurricanes, two close calls with tornados, and severe winter storms that knocked out the power for days. Did I mention that we were comfortable and able to help my neighbors pull through and teach them a thing or two? I prepare because I need to, not because an old man tells me the end of the world is coming.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 03:57PM

I've been through two wikipedia-worthy hurricanes (Agnes and Diane) and two major floods, and the odd tornado warning. Blizzards sometimes closed the highway, but never for more than a couple days. Diane took out power for two weeks. The Flood of '97 closed the city of Grand Forks for about 6 weeks. Everybody left because they were required to, although, even if allowed to stay and having the survival supplies, living in a house with a basement full of mud and water, not to mention a couple feet of muddy water on the first floor too, would have been damned inconvenient.

In an actual disaster, what you really need is a way to get the hell out of Dodge. That you will ever need to sit there for 3 or 12 or 24 months and subsist on freeze-dried food and rancid water in reused plastic bottles is delusional.

LDS Inc was just trying to sell welfare farm produce to the faithful. That way they made money on food produced and canned with free labor, and got to own the farms tax free because they were part of a church program.

I did none of the stuff Changed Man did. I'm obviously still alive and kicking. You want to prepare for a disaster? Have a year's income in savings.

Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 04:41PM

Great point. Having a year's worth of money in the bank is excellent advice. However, cash is king when the power is out and the ATMs and credit card readers don't work, so having $1000 in cash at home is good.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 02:45AM

I was in central Canada back around 2002, and had no cash, US or Canadian. Not a problem. I'd put everything on the card.

Turned out it was the day of the huge blackout in the eastern US and Canada. The power was on where I was, but all the banking computers were in Toronto, and were down.

That was certainly awkward. So yeah, some cash.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 06:43PM

I was here during and after Katrina. I agree with Brother of Jerry. Having food supplies but when you don't have toilets, or running water to wash your hands after cooking, or garbage pickup, and when it is over 100 degrees and no power, no way to shower, no cell service, just what he said, you want to get out of Dodge till things are restored.

Posted by: Talon Avex ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 06:38AM

I prep, but I'm a never-mo so it's never been because of faith. I have a few months of food put back (canned and canned from the garden), money, water, first aid stuff, toiletries and ways to cook. It's all stuff I use day-to-day, so it gets rotated and used.

More me, it's more the memories of my grandparents talking about the Great Depression and what they had to go through as young children to young adulthood. Also, I've lived places where natural disasters can happen (storms and earthquakes). Plus, it's nice to have some things put back in case of job loss. It's one less thing to worry about.

Religion and governmental chaos has nothing to do with it for me. It's knowing that bad things can happen and it's nice to have something there as backup. If something apocalyptic happens, we're screwed more than likely...so I don't worry about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 06:39AM by Talon Avex.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.