Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 12:38AM

A statement from Oaks in Fall, 2018 GC says, "The average age of our Church members' marriages has increased by more than two years and the number of births to Church members is falling."

He goes on to state that "Latter-day Saint woman understand that being a mother is their highest priority, their ultimate joy."

Really Oaks? Do the church women "really" understand that being a mother....."yada, yada, because, you know if they did, seems to me that your prior statement would show radically differing statistics than what you shared in this here "lecture" of yours.

Perhaps, just perhaps, it is you Dallin who understands (and believes) "...that being a mother is their highest priority, their ultimate joy."

Shame is what you"re teaching these young women Dallin. Why not do something worthwhile like encouraging these young women to be all they can be by exploring life, seeking worthwhile education that teaches critical thinking, having new and exciting experiences in this amazing world, etc. etc. etc.? Teach them that each of them are different and amazing and each one is loved because of these differences and that one cookie-cutter-paradigm does not fit, thank heavens!

I was a young woman in the church who could have immensely benefited from this kind of teaching from Mormonism. But instead, I, eons ago now, was met with guilt and shame meted out by the church to follow the path of quick marriage and motherhood rather than advice like I suggested.....advice that could have saved me years of time, money, and morose heartache.
I looked to Mormonism for guidance because my home life did not offer guidance to me. How much the church could have filled this void, helping me along life's journey and choices.

I now have some granddaughters who are faced with the twisted doctrine you Dallin and your ilk dish out. They are hurting and confused filled with church-induced-guilt-and-shame.

Dallin, you and your cronies are the ones causing this hurt, this confusion, this guilt and shame. And, you are the ones who should be feeling it.....NOT THE YOUNG WOMEN INDOCTRINATED BY YOU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2018 12:42AM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 01:17AM

Possibly due to too many return missionaries into sexual “pegging” which cannot result in pregnancy.

Ironically, i would think Oakes is probably into it.

I would assume there will be priesthood meetings discouraging the act.

Posted by: perditious1 ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 01:37PM

hahahahahahahah, just had a mental image of wendy and rusty

" russ you getting any revelations yet"

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 03:42AM

perditious1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hahahahahahahah, just had a mental image of wendy
> and rusty
>
> " russ you getting any revelations yet"

What goes on behind the scenes is probably like congress or your favorite Chinese restaurant. Probably best that we don't know.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 02:13AM

It’s pretty amazing how out of touch he is with today’s economic reality. If I’m like that at his age, please shoot me.

Date: December 03, 2018 05:25AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> It’s pretty amazing how out of touch he is with
> today’s economic reality. If I’m like that at
> his age, please shoot me.

Oaks hasn't had a real job in decades and he never lived in what young couples are living in now. The cost of housing and tuition now are far higher than what a young Dallin Oaks had to deal with.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 11:30AM

Speaking of being out of touch, Gheco's post is the first time I've ever heard of sexual "pegging".

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 02:11PM

Levi Lovin’ was also popular.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 05:39PM

Yeah, I had to look it up in the urban dictionary.

Ouch!

Date: November 29, 2018 09:34PM

Made me flinch when I saw what it was.

Definitely not on my bucket list.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 11:45AM

>> ""Latter-day Saint woman understand that being a mother is their highest priority, their ultimate joy."

Notice how he tells them what they understand. This is how it is for mormons....the leader tells them what they understand. This lets them know that they are expected to understand, therefore they must show they understand. So they all "understand" and start doing what is expected by the leaders.

If this is how the church is going to be, they need to quantify it. Apparently a woman can't experience "their ultimate joy" by having one child and what ever age they deem appropriate. So what is the magic age and number?

If tithing specified at 10%, child bearing should be similar. Must be married at 19-21 years of age, must have a minimum of one child every 2 years, for a minimum of 8 years. Anything less and your eternal reward will be docked proportionally and your temple recommend could be revoked.

This basically what he is trying to say....without really saying it.

Posted by: logged off this week ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 11:53AM

Renlund's wife had 1 child.

Uchtdorf & Hales - 2.

Monson, Holland, Bednar, Cook, Soares - 3.

Maybe Oaks should lecture a few of his brethren in the gospel about their own deficiencies.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 12:13PM

Does Sister Oaks have any children?

Posted by: logged off this week ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 12:55PM

Oaks had six, all by his first wife. (Wikipedia)

When he married #2, she was in her early 50s and apparently not previously hitched. So I *assume* no kids.

Now as for Wendy, of course, she hasn't had any kids. To be consistent and demonstrate his boundless integrity, Oaks has surely chastised HER for not properly understanding mormon women's highest priorities. </sarc>

Date: November 29, 2018 01:04PM

LOL! The two men in control have second wives with other priorities. It isn't like they were young women back when there wasn't a push for them to marry any righteous priesthood holder who took a fancy to them.

Their hypocrisy is so palatable as to be strychnine to human sensibility.

What a bunch of nonsense from blustering old wind bags.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 12:26PM

Oaks is as Out of Touch as POTUS is.

Oh, & ChurchCo doesn't process Shame for itself, that's only for the rank-and-file. Trying to shame them is futile.

Date: November 29, 2018 12:36PM

Or getting an apology.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 01:16PM

It tugs my heart strings when a message comes from Kolob through a living apostle. Mormons, take heed. A corporate CEO has spoken. Baby factory production is down.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 06:10PM

Nelson is Boss Baby

Posted by: BillMeLater ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 01:19PM

Mormons - the fewer the better.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 01:20PM

This reminds me of how much Oaks is still a generation or two back. This was the kind of thing they were talking about in the 70's

Date: December 03, 2018 05:31AM

angela Wrote:
> This reminds me of how much Oaks is still a
> generation or two back. This was the kind of thing
> they were talking about in the 70's

Haha! Oaks is still living back when missionaries drove Gremlins and Saturday's Warrior was the must see church production.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 03:14PM

It's probably presumptuous, one should think, of an old guy to man-splain what would be a young woman's greatest joy.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 04:08PM

This may be good advice for teenagers who don't have any problems who are all 10 in good looks, and are exceptionally well endowed in talent, He could say this during a fireside aimed at their specific group of special ones, but for those of us who aged out of being a YSA and are around middle age, it's not helpful to hear it from old dudes in Salt Lake who aren't aware of what's going on.

Besides there are many examples of old people having children later in life. Noah was 500. John the baptist parents were old, Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90. Issac and Rebecca were 20 years into their marriage before she had a baby (if I remember right).

There's a pattern I'm seeing.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 04:47PM

None of his darn business.

Date: November 29, 2018 05:15PM

Oh, buttttt his "business" is hoarding and worrying about that 10% because he might not get to fly yearly first class as often or he might be forced to hold off on that 3rd vacation home in Hawaii.

Certainly is easy for men to tell women what they need to do with their bodies. Tell you this much, from my experience with the male gender, they are very big babies when they are ill!!! Sorry men, but that has been my experience. I do not know ONE MALE, STRONG AS THEY MAY BE, THAT WOULD HAVE MORE THAN ONE KID AFTER GOING THROUGH THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE of puking and feeling sickenly ill and ulra-tired and having their ribs turn blue from not having enough room for baby and getting much less sleep than they need because IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET COMFORTABLE WITH THIS "ADORABLE" LIFE INSIDE OF YOU, and on and on and on.

My 2 cents....

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 05:12PM

Does the church help out young couples when they get themselves in a financial hole they can't dig out of?

NOPE.

So Oaks needs to shut his stupid mouth.

Date: November 29, 2018 05:17PM

I'll say a very loud and resounding 'AMEN' to that, my friend.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 05:43PM

Hang on now--living in your parents basement with a baby and you still haven't gotten your Bachelor's degree* is a rite of passage! Blessings!

*Your wife gave up on getting her Domestic Management degree, and she's pregnant again anyway.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 05:58PM

He'd hate me....married a Catholic and adopted 2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2018 06:12PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 06:25PM

Oak's is just carrying the mantle for SWK who told us at BYU those years ago that marriage and babies came before education.

You let them off the treadmill for even a second, they might not want to get back on.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 05:00PM

Yes, the SWK Marriage is Honorable talk from 1973.

Same dribble.

Get married. Do it know. Have babies. School will always be there, but honor your womanhood and make a big family.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: November 29, 2018 09:18PM

Also amazing that an "inspired leader" can be so ignorant of the 7.5 billion population with a billion people added about every 12 years.

We need population control and sustainability, not dogmatic bull shit about the "earth was made for man," "resources are never ending," and "Jesus is coming" so who cares about future generations, climate change, resources etc.

Date: November 29, 2018 11:14PM

Don't think we'll control population on our own, Nature is going to do it for us.

Pandemic, asteroid hitting the earth and/or a super volcano resetting the population count back to under a million.

It's happened in the past, it'll happen again in the future, Nature does it on Her own time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2018 11:16PM by tumwater.

Date: December 03, 2018 05:35AM

tumwater Wrote:
> Don't think we'll control population on our own,
> Nature is going to do it for us.
>
> Pandemic, asteroid hitting the earth and/or a
> super volcano resetting the population count back
> to under a million.
>
> It's happened in the past, it'll happen again in
> the future, Nature does it on Her own time.

The earth is going extinct. We are. --George Carlin--

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 11:06AM

But then I loved it when my mother would have a baby. I loved taking care of my younger siblings from when they were born to now.

BUT then I had my own, two at one time. I had to quit my long-time job and we were living in a basement apartment (born in November). Wow! Talk about a rude awakening. It took me a long time to adjust. Obviously had postpartum depression for a long time.

And I love my kids to death. I would do anything for them. They just turned 33. Other than the stupidity of bringing lives into this world, I'm glad I had kids. But so glad I stopped at 2. I could never have made it with more.

My ex (and I've said this before) told me he had made all my dreams come true. I told him I had been dreaming the wrong dreams.

I went out looking for a job behind his back when they were 8 months old. He found out and helped me get a job as a medical transcriptionist at the hospital where he works, and it carried me through being a single mother.

Fun times!

P.S. I forgot to add--how do people possible pay for having a bunch of babies? We both had good insurance when I had my twins and we paid ZERO out of pocket. My insurance cost me $.95 a paycheck at the time. Nowadays with these huge deductions, they have to pretty much pay out of pocket. My neighbors have 6 kids and had to go on Medicaid after Obamacare happened as the husband lost his insurance through the company he worked for. My sister paid out of pocket for her 3 children, but it was affordable to do so then. I've talked to several mormons who say their kids can't have more children as they can't afford just the pregnancy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2018 03:11PM by cl2.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 11:08AM

In the years before I left LDS, Inc., this was one thing that really bugged me.

Mormon leaders, family members and others put a lot of effort into shaming and nudging people to get married, but I never got the sense that they ever did much to help make that more possible. They insisted on taking their 10% cut on the little money you had starting out in life. You were expected to further your education and professional prospects, but you had to put in two years on a mission. BTW on said mission, one doesn't exactly improve one's level of comfort interacting with members of the opposite sex (and if you are into members of the same sex--that's a whole other story). Again, Mormon rules about sexual activity are also burdensome when forming relationships. There are too many implications and legal obligations involved in getting married to have a rule that prompts you to marry someone after 3 months, because you can't hold back on sex anymore!

Furthermore, some of us are just not wired to get married after knowing someone for a few months. That just strikes us as stupid. If you are more sensible and cautious, dating in the Mormon world is really difficult.

In my mid-20's, I started to feel very insecure, because I wasn't married. That was absurd! But I felt like there must be something wrong with me, but I wasn't ready for it. Fortunately, I got over that feeling and ended up getting married to a wonderful person--in my mid-30's!

For Mormon leaders, it's just about getting married. It does not seem to matter to them if the person is right for you. It does not matter if you are financially, emotionally or mentally ready to make that kind of commitment. Just do it!

If you need to "Just do it!" buy a pair of Nikes--the implications are not as big a deal if they don't fit well.

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 03:04PM

Can I just say I hate that disgusting walking dildo? There. I said it. You're a mean one, Mr. Oaks. How dare you tell young women what's supposed to make them happy to throw them into lifelong depressive funks when they find themselves stuck with 4 kids and no education and no husband who was raised to share the household and parenting responsibilities, and way too many expectations placed upon them and they are not only NOT happy but are miserable. And of course, it must be their fault. Elder Dildo said it would be ultimate joy. God, I hate that stupid cult.

Date: November 30, 2018 04:36PM

Spot-on description-----"You're a mean one, Mr. Oaks".

"General"Oaks (he thinks) oozes with his superiority and arrogant personae and, along with his matching oozing meanness, I CANNOT imagine what anyone is thinking to find him "inspirational" to be around, unless of course, he/she is a deluded-indoctrinated-unthinking-sold-out-mormon.

I hear this guy's voice and I want to immediately somehow strike back at his very presence because I know there are people who hang on his every "lawlerly" hammered out utterance which he does with that lawyer-gavel clutched in his claws. He KNOWS he is nothing less than GOD'S GIFT TO EVERYONE, mormon or non-mormon alike, and all better heed his hits of the gavel on his stately bench or they will end up having breakfast, lunch and dinner with the devil for all eternity.

Golly gee Mr. Oaks, I would gladly take hell over being wherever you are going----which I am sure YOU JUST KNOW you will surely sit perched with a crown on your head at the right hand of God himself.

Poor God.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2018 05:22PM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: December 03, 2018 05:39AM

lachesis Wrote:
> Can I just say I hate that disgusting walking
> dildo? There. I said it. You're a mean one, Mr.
> Oaks. How dare you tell young women what's
> supposed to make them happy to throw them into
> lifelong depressive funks when they find
> themselves stuck with 4 kids and no education and
> no husband who was raised to share the household
> and parenting responsibilities, and way too many
> expectations placed upon them and they are not
> only NOT happy but are miserable. And of course,
> it must be their fault. Elder Dildo said it would
> be ultimate joy. God, I hate that stupid cult.

I had the misfortune to meet Elder Dildo. He came to a regional conference with Howard W.Hunter. Elder Hunter laughed and visited with the members and really seemed to enjoy meeting people and talking to them. Elder Dildo looked like he wanted to get the hell out of there and you could tell he hated visiting and talking to the members. Oh he likes to give big speeches at the puppet but he hates mingling.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 30, 2018 03:28PM

More mind control is all it is.

Date: November 30, 2018 03:40PM

less : quantities like grain in a bin. Items that can't easily be counted.

fewer: quantities of that are easily counted, like children in a family, etc.

- GNPE masquerading as Dr. Grammar...

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 01:03AM

All this coming from a pompous dumbass who probably never changed a diaper (other than his own) in his life. Always out doing the lards work and leaving the real work to his wife. 24 karat douchebag.

Date: December 01, 2018 01:44PM

He wore out his first wife with too many kids and she died.

Oh well, then he got a newer model. It's the Mormon way.

Date: December 01, 2018 04:43PM

Your comment that Oaks likely never changed a diaper other than his own brought tears with my huge laughs. Spot on.

Yes, he has about 8, 9, or 10 kids, something like that, and I cannot see him ever doing the diaper duty or sick duty, EVER. Order, yes, demand, yes, command, yes.

What a prick.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 12:10PM

Don't listen to them. I know a couple that just recently had their first and only baby. She is age 37 and he is in his 50's. They own a beautiful home and he works at home most of the time. He helps her with the baby every day. They plan to give their child the best education and eventually to send her to the best college they can find. They've saved their money first, and have no financial worries now. They waited until the time was right, and plan to have a small, well educated, well taken care of family. They don't pay tithing. They did it the right way. The mormon church will never get its greedy hands on any of them, nor on any of their money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 12:12PM by azsteve.

Date: December 01, 2018 01:25PM

That's the way to do it.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 01:44PM

My last tithing conference, the Bishop told me proudly that the church was opening one new chapel per week in Africa.

And I thought, if there ever is a continent NOT needing unlimited population growth due to lack of clean water and food, it is Africa!

I think of this church as a bunch of old white men taking our money and doing what they want with it.

Comparison: Baptist church I attend, ice cream social-they supply the ice cream and paid workers serving it.

Mormon-you bring the ice cream, set up the tables, serve, and stay to clean up after.

They take our money and keep it. At least other churches throw you a crumb sometimes.

Date: December 01, 2018 01:50PM

Ask him to show you pictures of those Mormon "chapels" in Africa.
Most of them look like outhouses on Tobacco Road.

Date: December 01, 2018 04:56PM

OMG, a new mormon chapel in Africa every week-----just what is (NOT) needed on that continent of impoverished people. Hells-bells, one a year is one toooo many.

Add this to Nelson's order to the Africans on his last tour there when he told them that if they want to be blessed they will need to pay their tithing. Right, right Nelson, you scumbag. These people so need to be feel guilty about where they spend their few measly dollars (or cents in some cases) by YOU, who flew to their country first class, who has house help to shop, cook, serve you and your wive's three daily scrumptious healthy meals, who doesn't bat an eye needing to worry about making choices over feeding their kids or paying the tithing that now you have shamed them into believing must be done. BECAUSE YOU DON'T EVEN PAY TITHING!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 06:19PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 06:45PM

Elyse....outhouses on Tobacco Road...hahahah! Good one.

Presley,

AGREED!!!!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 08:34PM

Clueless [mis]"leaders"
Careless "
Despicable "

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 10:44PM

I agree Oaks is wrong to generalize that all women should want to be mothers.

On the other extreme, we have feminists generalizing that all women want to have careers, yet few seem to complain about that.

Given the biological role of women, I suggest that motherhood is more of an attraction than careers. My observations support that.

My wife hated working. My daughters got their degrees and debt and haven't worked, but want to have babies.

Friend's wife just finished her masters degree, with $60,000 in debt, and is begging husband to make more money so she can stay home with kids (thought they are in school).

And if you spend too much time "exploring the world" or whatever, fertility declines. After following the feminist imperative, many find themselves miserable like this woman:

https://www.thecut.com/2018/11/im-broke-and-friendless-and-ive-wasted-my-whole-life.html

So yes, the religions of Mormonism and feminism should respect individual differences and stop brainwashing women in one extreme or the other.

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 11:18PM

That awkward moment when "Adam Ruins Everything" episode on parenting feels more inspired then General Conference.

Posted by: Rodger ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 07:46PM

less babies means fewer members and less tithing.

Date: December 03, 2018 07:53PM

someone call Drs. Thorndyke, Montague, & Wentworth, + Professor Lilloman*, this guy obviously needs professional help!!

*First person to ID source gets a Prize!!!

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: December 04, 2018 09:50AM

High Anxiety

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.