Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 02:40AM

So I got a message that the missionaries want to talk to us and share a message. There is no reason for them to think anything is wrong.

Why would the missionaries be wasting their time talking to people who are already members. This doesn't make sense to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 03:11AM

Are you inactive or less active? Is there anything going on that would have brought your name up to the bishop or ward council?

You can always say, "No thank you" or "This is not a good time." If they do come to your home, you can either turn them away at the door or simply ignore their knocking or ringing. There is no rule that says you have to open your door to callers or to admit them to your home.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 01:29PM

Then tell them you won't be inviting them into your home. Whatever they want can't be all that important. You're just too busy with other activities for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 05:22AM

I will never forget when a ward member brought a hot shot missionary over to my house in some lame ass super pathetic attempt to re activate me.

SUPER INSULTING !!!!

It was like they thought that I had forgotten that THE (MORmON) church was true so I needed to be reminded, like I had fallen asleep at the wheel and needed to be awakened.

I reminded them that I had served a mission myself and that far from forgetting or being asleep at the wheel in the preceeding years, I was painfully aware of the shortcomings of THE (MORmON) church, like the then very latest LD$ inc fiasco of getting caught funding the 2002 Olympic bid bribery scandal. I told Mr. Hotshot missionary that he would not stand a chance debating me because as a return missionary, I already know all of THE (MORmON) church's cheesy manipulation techniques /tactics as well as their LIES, to stop wasting his time and my time.

They never made that mistake again.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 06:44AM

Wowza,

Missionaries in most missions don't have enough to do. I have seen pairs who try to meet everyone in the ward purportedly to seek referrals but really because it's better than knocking on doors.

It could be that: a remedy for boredom.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 08:30AM

Yes, that is a strong possibility. It could be that the MP discourages random door knocking in favor of referrals from members.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 07:59AM

Per Mormons (and most other Christians) there is always something "wrong".

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 09:54AM

Rest assured there is something they want or need from you. It's doubtful they actually care about your wants or needs.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 10:19AM

Sometimes they've just run out of things to do, so they bug the members instead.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 01:29PM

They are just brain-dead, brain-still-forming teens!

Remember they are brain-washed big time that this here missionary thing they are doing is soooo wunderbar, and then, whoops! they find that it is oh, so not wunderbar, infact, anything but.

They are shut away (if they're following the rules) from their beloved cell phone, friends, sports, cell phone, friends, sports.....you get the idea, and this here mission is, man, TONS, and I do mean TONS, different than they imagined and promised it would be.

So.....meeting in a comfy home with people who are most likely going to treat you kindly DEFINITELY beats knocking on slamming-doors-in-your-face-doors that continues to happen non-stop.

The bottom line is that they are just KIDS! wishing that this here missionary thing would up and fly away.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 03:06PM

Meeting with members is a way for missionaries to hold onto their fragile testimonies.

When I served years ago, I didn't look forward to spending a lot of time with members. Many of them were cynical and too critical in my opinion. "When's the next baptism? We haven't had one for awhile. Are you sure that you're actually working or do you goof off all day?"

While I was grateful that we were invited into their homes and fed, it was apparent that some members treated us like doormats and our MP encouraged it.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 04:23PM

Yeah I ran in to some members like that. We weren't getting baptsims every month like some GA had promised so of course we were lazy and stupid kids.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 04:42PM

They probably just want to remind you how critical missionary work is and how much THE LORD wants full participation in this great work of these latter daze.

You may be asked for the names of friends who, even though they themselves don't realize it, desperately want the opportunity to be introduced and [be condemned if they refuse to] accept the glorious gospel.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.