Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 11:59AM

I am currently playing in a pit orchestra for the musical, "A Christmas Carol". It is the official Broadway version. There are 11 of us in the orchestra and I alternate between the bass clarinet and saxophone. I am the only non-professional musician. The rest are music professors and teachers and most play in regional symphonies. It has been fun to meet these musicians. What is fascinating to me is how much joy they get out of playing. I sit across from one of the violinists and a smile never leaves her face. I asked the trumpet player last night during the intermission about her unusual trumpet - one of three she was playing. It is a piccolo trumpet and she seemed genuinely excited to talk to me about its history and use. I never experienced such enthusiasm and fun while a Mormon. As I reflect, everything about Mormonism was dull and boring in comparison.

Life is so much better outside the cult. It is encouraging to see so many people leaving the Mormon corporation who get to live more meaningful and interesting lives.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:14PM

Absolutely agree!!!

Love people who love what they do!!!

Plus, musicians are just cool. :) :) :)

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:14PM

ChurchCo buildings are so sterile - they evoke dullness, a mental torpor.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:17PM

The orchestra sounds delightful. I'm impressed with your being so good at the bass clarinet and saxophone. I'd love to hear you play.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:21PM

Music relaxes you, you can be yourself, it doesn’t judge you.
You have the freedom to play what you want; it relaxes you and relieves tension.
The church is the opposite

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:39PM

PLUS
You can play other instruments, all the other instruments...maybe not in the house.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:23PM

Eric, you are so right.
There was noting engaging or stimulating in Mormonism

So glad you are enjoying your life!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 12:26PM

I have seen some excitement from Mormons genuinely into genealogy who has made an interesting discovery. The most excitement among the general membership was the announcement of the end of the three hour block. I suppose that qualifies as excitement about reducing the dullness of Mormonism!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 01:06PM

I couldn't agree more.

Not only is Mormonism utterly boring--thanks, correlation--it also insists that members not find fulfillment elsewhere since the church is supposed to be the center of everyone's life. I've encountered leaders who see members "anxiously engaged" in public service or the arts or anything else they truly value and advise them that they should stop spending time on those vocations/avocations in favor of doing more for the church. Life is supposed to be boring so that the church remains tolerable.

It works--although frequently only with assistance from SSRIs.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:41PM

Mormons are really good at enduring to the end, especially to the end of dull meetings. They have a lot of practice from years of sitting through boring sacrament meetings, boring leadership meetings, boring Sunday School lessons, boring seminary classes, the boredom of knocking on endless doors as a missionary, etc... They are used to boredom, waiting for it to end. I think it numbs them and they don't know how to function outside of the numbness.

Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:43PM

There is hope!My granddaughter and hubby leave the baby with Nana and jet off to Italy for fun. Then Las Vegas this week. This was a girl who would get up at 5 a.m. to go to seminary, and got married in the Temple. He was a missionary, too.

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:55PM

This was a good thread. So I just had to login and say so. Enduring to the end of meetings describes it perfectly.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 04:32PM

Most Temple exciteness:

Someone needs medical attention.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 04:39PM

Even when I believed it I was bored to death. And tired of saying no to real life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.