Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warren Jeffs ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 10:03AM

Nelson reversed all the pride that came with being known as a Mormon.How much fun did Mormons have portraying their profiles with I am a Mormon ads?It is similar to how Warren Jeff's divided his community and took any joys of fun out of being Flds.

Do people here think Nelson is destroying the church with his own personal opinions that he thinks are commandments from the Lord?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 10:07AM

I mean, who makes a statement like they are making satan happy when they say mormon and then have the foundation of their religion called the book of mormon.

Besides the dementia, he has his dear wife who thinks she is goddess of the church.

I'm shocked by what he has been doing. But the followers seem to be falling in line.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 01:53PM

I think he's a classic narcissist. He wants to see the effects of his power. He wants to leave his mark, no matter if it's destructive, on church policy.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:13PM

Maybe Heavenly father calls narcissists from time to time to be his Holy Prophet so we can all be tested to endure all the trials and tribulations from having a narcissistic sycophant be the most holy and beloved person on earth who we obey unquestionably? Of course we obey unquestionably thanks to the super healthy way of thinking that comes when we have been fully assimilated into the Correlation program way of thinking.

Yes we could try to wonder what like would be like without thinking about things the Correlation way. But that would be potentially a doubtful thought and we all know what the Brethren have said about obeying them to never allow doubts to enter our minds.

Well time to go be obedient. I got to try to convince all my neighbors that they need to get assimilated into this beloved Church. When they see how super true we are (i.e. honest, transparent, open-minded to truth) then of course it will be possible to get them to seriously investigate whether they want to assimilate themselves to this beloved Correlation way of thinking and do-ing.

Once I get done with my neighbors of course we'll need a BabiesRUs store in the neighborhood so they can all buy lots of diapers, strollers, baby clothes, etc. for the kids they'll stop popping out annually as they fully assimilate to their new religion.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 04:24PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a sadistic streak. What stands out to me is that he can just push around a multi billion dollar enterprise according to his personal whim. What does that say about an organization that facilitates such things? It’s a very big house, so why are they so sloppy about who’s minding it? Oh right, voyeristic angels with sharp swords and caves full of loot, er, sacred texts.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 01:22PM

The true believers have been so conditioned to be 'thankful for a prophet' that when Nelson says "jump" their only question is "How high?"

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 01:47PM

HOPE SO!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 02:10PM

I petitioned RMN to get involved with healing my family on his recent trip to Seattle;instead, he gave a speech & did photo-ops with lots of attendees at the Nelson-fest at the tax-payer owned baseball stadium.

Yup, that says it.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 02:16PM

He is tainting Horatio's good name. If he doesn't like being called a mormon then I won;t call him anything at all.

Posted by: sunday logoff ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 04:00PM

"took any joys of fun out of being Flds"

There were joys of fun from being fundie mormons? Oh, do tell. What were some of these FLDS joys? (Apart from being one of the leaders who got to bang lots of submissive helpless young women, of course.)

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 04:30PM

Obviously you haven’t seen the hairdos.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 07:20PM

He's [juse] there to profit.

Plain and simple.

M@t

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 11:26AM

Oh babylon, you kill me, you really do...

hairdos

snicker

:)

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 11:55AM

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 12:18PM

Years ago I worked for a government agency; we got a new director and his first decision was to change the initials the agency was known by.

This meant changing the website, all the stationery, the floor mats, the name painted on all the official vehicles, every form the agency used. It probably cost millions!

He showed his megalomanic true colors and was ousted in less than a year. New director, cue more millions of dollars to put all the signage back to the way it was before.

I read the official edict on not using the Mormon name and I think--is this the most important thing you have to worry about? What about, for instance, the tens of thousands of cats and dogs euthanized in Utah every year due to lack of spay and neuter for pets? What about, for instance, people having more children than they can support?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 12:18PM by mel.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 11:34AM

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 08:22PM

I mentioned this in a post a couple of weeks ago, but I will repeat it.

My mother is very bothered by what RMN is doing. She is one of the most TBM people I know, but she is also someone who can call a spade a spade. She has been exposed to so little of true church history that she remains faithful.

At Thanksgiving she said that she probably shouldn't be telling me this, but she really has a problem with RMN's stance on the title Mormon. It bothers her that the church is spending tithing money to change the name of the Tabernacle Choir, etc.

On another note, the next day she told me that she can no longer teach a lesson about Joseph Smith, and she is dreading her next temple recommend interview, because she has been reading Todd Compton's In Sacred Loneliness". Her words exactly were, "He wrote himself that we believe in being honest, true and chaste, yet he did that."

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 01:35AM

"No ordinances for the children of gay parents until they are 18 years old and renounce the lifestyle of their parents."

That one alone made my temple-married RM son and his wife leave the church.

They were the salt-of-the-earth, active, tithing and contributing kind of family that the church definitely needs. But they are gone for good now.

The church shot itself in the foot with that one, I think.

Posted by: KidTwist ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 06:06AM

If Nelson really wanted to portray the Mormon Church as Christian, his missionary's should be carrying around the New Testament instead of the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 12:20PM

Its inconceivable to ever think that Nelson is tearing apart the M ...... whoa there as I almost wrote a shameful word to write that would be a huge victory for that super evil devil called Satan ..... its a strange idea to think that the [long name] Church is being torn apart by this super holy mighty prophet, seer, and revelator named Russell M. Nelson. Its inconceivable for me to ever seriously think about such an idea, or any idea at all on anything, because the holy beloved Correlation program has trained me to focus on obedience and not any of this thinking stuff.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 03:49AM

1.) Now we know why no church president ever invited Nelson into the First Presidency as a counselor: His ideas are terrible even by Mormon standards.

2.) Men in business (or religion) are like dogs in the street: they want to pee over everything previously peed on by earlier dogs. Guys in new positions of power want to put their stamp over the stamps of their predecessors.

They cancel great projects in the pipeline (because they were conceived by a predecessor), they change logos, they reverse entirely sensible policies, etc. That's clearly what's going on here with Nelson.

But it's worth noting that Nelson's decisions - in addition to being insane - are actually quite damaging to Mormons. Humans have a great need for meaning. Tradition, custom, history, names, etc., are all important sources of that meaning. But those are just what Nelson is assaulting.

Most Mormons exist in a zombie-like state; but for a certain percentage, Nelson's changes must be very disconcerting.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 10:44PM

Tal Bachman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Men in business (or religion) are like dogs in
> the street: they want to pee over everything
> previously peed on by earlier dogs. Guys in new
> positions of power want to put their stamp over
> the stamps of their predecessors.
>
> They cancel great projects in the pipeline
> (because they were conceived by a predecessor),
> they change logos, they reverse entirely sensible
> policies, etc. That's clearly what's going on here
> with Nelson.

I think that's a great analogy. Nelson's prostate is obviously too weak for his glorious new calling. Apparently, he dribbles revelation all night long. How he may be performing as a polygamous God, I refuse to speculate.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 11:25PM

What is really amazing about this is that Nelson's edict on the "Mormon" nickname directly contradicts his two immediate predecessors who sat in the Top Prophet Guy throne. It's bad enough when a modern prophet guy contradicts a prophet guy from 3 or 4 generations ago. But Nelson's immediate predecessors went on the record REPEATEDLY (in conference talks and elsewhere) endorsing the "Mormon" nickname as something to be proud of.

Hinckley even went so far as to call Nelson out by name in order to emphatically shoot down Nelson's angry pet-peeve about the Mormon nickname.

It just looks petty and makes the LSD Church look like an idiotic version of "Simon Says". The LSD version is "Living Prophet Guy Says".

There is zero logic to it. None of Nelson's arguments make any sense. If you believe Nelson, Jesus has been offended and Satan has celebrated during the entirety of the past 150 years that the "Mormon" nickname has been in use...and this fact (that Jesus is offended and Satan is delighted by the Mormon nickname) somehow escaped the attention of ALL of Nelson's predecessors in the Top Prophet Guy position. If that is true, Jesus is an easily-offended pantie-waist who only got his job because his daddy pulled strings, and Satan is retarded, if the "Mormon" nickname pleases him so much. And Nelson is, in his own mind, a superhero who has more power than either Jesus or Satan...as proved by the fact that he single-handedly brought about a change that Jesus wanted, but couldn't get done for more than 150 years and that Satan didn't want, but is now helpless to prevent due to the iron will and steely determination of the great Nelson.

Date: December 17, 2018 04:20PM

Another great comment, mush better than mine.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 07:30PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> What is really amazing about this is that Nelson's
> edict on the "Mormon" nickname directly
> contradicts his two immediate predecessors who sat
> in the Top Prophet Guy throne. It's bad enough
> when a modern prophet guy contradicts a prophet
> guy from 3 or 4 generations ago. But Nelson's
> immediate predecessors went on the record
> REPEATEDLY (in conference talks and elsewhere)
> endorsing the "Mormon" nickname as something to be
> proud of.
>
> Hinckley even went so far as to call Nelson out by
> name in order to emphatically shoot down Nelson's
> angry pet-peeve about the Mormon nickname.
>
> It just looks petty and makes the LSD Church look
> like an idiotic version of "Simon Says". The LSD
> version is "Living Prophet Guy Says".
>
> There is zero logic to it. None of Nelson's
> arguments make any sense. If you believe Nelson,
> Jesus has been offended and Satan has celebrated
> during the entirety of the past 150 years that the
> "Mormon" nickname has been in use...and this fact
> (that Jesus is offended and Satan is delighted by
> the Mormon nickname) somehow escaped the attention
> of ALL of Nelson's predecessors in the Top Prophet
> Guy position. If that is true, Jesus is an
> easily-offended pantie-waist who only got his job
> because his daddy pulled strings, and Satan is
> retarded, if the "Mormon" nickname pleases him so
> much. And Nelson is, in his own mind, a superhero
> who has more power than either Jesus or Satan...as
> proved by the fact that he single-handedly brought
> about a change that Jesus wanted, but couldn't get
> done for more than 150 years and that Satan didn't
> want, but is now helpless to prevent due to the
> iron will and steely determination of the great
> Nelson.

Nelson the Great. Pretty much a legend in his own mind. Nothing changes. Look how the church leaders fought each other over power after Joseph and Hyrum got shot. Do you think the modern apostles are any different? The church had to go to a most senior apostle becomes prophet system to keep the church in tact every time a prophet dies.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 09:56PM

I'd never thought of this angle. This may apply to Dilly Dally Oaks as well.

Oaks BTW never has served as a bishop, stake president, mission president or lower General Authority. The only thing he knows how to run is LDS "right into the ground."

Correction to myself: Oaks was president of BYU prior to Holland.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 01:39PM

I'm thankfully removed enough from life at LDS, Inc. that I have no idea what the impact has been.

But I do think this whole episode reveals a great deal about the priorities of God's profit, seether and regurgitator. He is supposed to be the prophet of God for the whole world--a world with extreme poverty, global warming, wars, terrorism, and all manner of other injustices. Yet, this petty branding issue is this guy's signature initiative. Why can't God be bigger than that?

Look, I know Mormons (or restorite whatevers?) are small in number and can't solve all these problems alone--but they are not without influence. Doesn't humanity need to have faith to make an attempt?

There is a great segment of the "Line Upon Line" documentary in which a man compares looking at Mormonism from the outside to going back to your elementary school. Everything that used to seem so big and imposing now appears small.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 03:05PM

I am very happy to witness all the consternation being caused by this asshole.

Date: December 17, 2018 04:17PM

And he's just Obsessive enough to think it proves he's right.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 03:56PM

Nothing is more disposable than a Mormon prophet. Thomas S. Monson had served in the Quorum of the Twelve for decades. He had been in the first presidency for a long time. Monson was a very visible church leader and on top of that unlike Nelson was likable and gave great talks. That being said, Monson dies and the membership really didn't care that much. They accepted Nelson and now there is more excitement over what is Nelson going to do next than Monson ever got.

The church membership loves mystery. They love having a prophet that actually makes changes in things. They think it's exciting. That being said, Nelson will soon pass away and we will get the next guy. Nelson will be quickly forgotten.

The members have been conditioned to honor the office. You could put any clown in the seat. They follow the organization not the individual in the church. Prophets are completely disposable.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 09:06AM

Even if he lives another 20 years, Nelson will be known as a "transitional prophet' (along the lines of Hunter) by most. His talks have always lacked any spiritual substance - now he just has the "gift of revelation' to make them extra disappointing.

If the church would have been smart, they would have selected Dieter instead of Russ. Yeah, it's picking a slightly younger old guy over an ancient one, but Dieter would have at least given the illusion of a young (by Mormon leadership standards), energetic, vibrant leader. Of all the leaders in the Mormon church, Dieter is the only one left that I just can't dislike. He no doubt knows it isn't true, but he tries to offer messages that are encouraging and rewarding to members. If I were still in the church, I would have been extremely disappointed that he got passed over for the top seat. And I think that I probably would have gone inactive over him getting sent back down to the minors/bumped from the First Presidency.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 09:51PM

Exmos could even dream of. He's so far into his own internal (vs. eternal) identity that he takes being "culturally tone deaf and dumb" to legendary lows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2018 09:51PM by cricket.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 10:10PM

Of all of the idiotic changes, one that particularly stands out to me is the change of the name of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

That's a "brand" that the church has invested in and painstakingly developed over a period of more than a century. It is one of the crown jewels of Mormondumb's public relations with the non-Mormon world. People whose first exposure to Mormonism is a MoTab album or TV show, often with world-famous singers like Sissel or Andrea Bocelli, will often (mistakenly) form a very favorable view of Mormonism and the church. (Creepy cults usually don't have world-famous choirs).

Changing the name to the "Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square" just flushes a century of brand-name development down the toilet. It's just confusing. And it doesn't replace "Mormon" with any reference to Jesus or Christ, so what was the point of the change even by Nelson's odd logic?

Posted by: tabernaclechoir ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:20AM

Precisely correct!

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 03:00AM

Based upon what we know about the number of people leaving the church, I think it is safe to say that there were more than a few listening to the last general conference who were in the process of trying to work through their "faith crisis" hoping to emerge on the other side with their testimony intact. An image pops into my mind of someone listening to conference while fasting and praying and hoping that they will hear something from the pulpit that will shore up their faith and give them real answers to their concerns, but instead they hear about how Jesus is displeased and Satan is happy if they use the word Mormon in reference to the church. I believe that there were certainly some who threw in the towel after this last conference. I just don't know if it was a few or many. I wish I knew. He certainly isn't doing the church any good.

One more thing. When Nelson was a heart surgeon at LDS hospital he did not want his patients to get blood transfusions after surgery no matter how anemic they were. Some of those that worked with him at the time were of the opinion that he considered a need for a blood transfusion as a negative commentary on his surgical skills. On more than one occasion when rounding on his post-op patients he saw a bag of blood hanging that was ordered by a covering doctor, and he would get upset, unhook the blood and throw it in the trash. He had a big ego then and still does.

Date: December 19, 2018 09:00AM

To draw a seasonal comparison, it's a lot like the scene in a Christmas Story when Ralphie finally gets his Little Orphan Annie decoder. He spends the evening hanging in suspense for an important message from Annie herself, only to be told to drink Ovaltine. A crummy commercial! All the emotional effort he put into it and the only thing he ended up getting out of it was almost making his little brother wet his pants. I really like to imagine that that was what the last Conference felt like for most of the Mormon faithful.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 01:00PM

C2NR Wrote:
>
> One more thing. When Nelson was a heart surgeon
> at LDS hospital he did not want his patients to
> get blood transfusions after surgery no matter how
> anemic they were. Some of those that worked with
> him at the time were of the opinion that he
> considered a need for a blood transfusion as a
> negative commentary on his surgical skills. On
> more than one occasion when rounding on his
> post-op patients he saw a bag of blood hanging
> that was ordered by a covering doctor, and he
> would get upset, unhook the blood and throw it in
> the trash. He had a big ego then and still does.

Wow!

Date: December 19, 2018 08:57AM

I saw an article on my facebook feed from a fairly major news site that called them Mormons. Most of the Mormons who corrected it did so in a sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek way that made me think they think the whole thing is ridiculous. One actually posted how ridiculous he thought "Russ Nelson" (no full name, no extra sacred middle initial) was being with the whole thing. My impression is that when he dies, he probably won't be anyone's "favorite prophet." I had a chance to speak with one of my friends who is still in the church, and he confessed that it has been harder to stay with the church since Nelson took the throne. He recognized that Nelson is issuing edicts based only on his personal pet peeves and not based on any type of gospel mission. Maybe after a couple decades of lax, PR-focused leadership, they need someone who will tighten the leash and make them more internally-focused. I don't know. From what I'm seeing right now, though, he Nelson isn't the beloved, grandfatherly prophet that Monson and Hinckley were. He is the great-grandparent who you never wanted to go visit because he just spent the whole time telling you what a fuck-up you are.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 09:08AM

No. He doesn't want to get rid of his hunchback. He wants you to have one too.

Nelson is a very unhappy man, married to a closet lesbian whose real relationship is with Sheri Dew.

He wants you to be baffled, thwarted, and miserable too.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 02:25PM

Refresh me, please:

Was the 'children of alt lifestyle parents' thing a Russ creation?

Date: December 24, 2018 06:42PM

It came out first in an anonymous rule book, so I would guess Oaks thought of it first.

But Nelson went out in public to defend it, calling it a revelation rather than a policy. He basically owns it now.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: December 24, 2018 07:54PM

PSYCHOPATH
SOCIOPATH
NARCISSISTIC

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: December 24, 2018 08:58PM

You got that right! One of the top professions chosen by a person with Psychopathic Personality Disorder is "Surgeon." Others include Lawyer, Politician, CEO, minister.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 24, 2018 07:56PM

Relax, everyone;

we all know that 'this life is a TEST', it's Not the Real Thing!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.