Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stan ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 11:58PM

My wife had been a Mormon for about ten years. I have nothing to do with it.
Lately I've noticed that every time she talks about the Mormons it goes something like this , " I have to go to THE church for cleaning, or sister so and so and I will meet at THE church. Suddenly any reference to Mormonism is tied up with this term, it's kind of freaky to me.
Born agains reference their beliefs as The Way, JW's call theirs "the truth", and now does the term "the church" somehow differentiate Mormonism from other religions as somehow superior in their own minds ?
Also, is this term something that Mormons encourage among each other, as if they have a secret word that makes them better than every other religion ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 12:04AM

The 'church' means everything to them.
They like everything, and nothing.
It's like God [or Joseph Smith, Jr.].
It's like living happily ever after.
It's a building. Not a concept.

M@t

Posted by: not logged in today ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 12:18AM

Per the new divinely-revealed mormon style guide, "mormon" is out and "the church" is in. Some holier-than thou mormons are saying that the word "mormon" is a slur and hate speech.

The current loser masquerading as a mormon prophet has labeled the use of "mormon" as an offense to Jesus and a "major victory for Satan," causing much loud laughter among those not kissing prophetic butt.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/mormon-is-out-church-releases-statement-on-how-to-refer-to-the-organization?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2018/10/the-correct-name-of-the-church?lang=eng

Date: December 10, 2018 12:38AM

not logged in today Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The [LDSC] profit has labeled the use of "mormon" as an offense to [Joseph Smith] and a "major victory for Satan/ Joseph Smith" >

Is it ironic these same members don't wonder why Joseph Smith even named it "The book of Mormon", or why MORMON supposedly
'appeared' and commanded to him, or why TSCC has a website (MORMONdotcom), or there was once a MORMON Taber Nacle Choir?

Mormonism is FOOL of 'hiphopcrisy'.

M@t

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 12:21AM

...as in the one and only true church on earth, restored by Joseph Smith under the direction of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and a host of angels, so that the original organization, together with all priesthood power and authority may once again bless humanity, as guided by a living prophet, who holds all the keys needed for all saving and exalting ordinances and yadda...yadda...blah...forkin'...woopdeedoo.

That's the big "THE" in "The Church."

But, most of the time, it's just "the church" in the same way as talking about going to "the store" or running over to "the pharmacy" or hosting a picnic at "the water treatment plant."

IOW, sometimes it's just a "the" and not the "THE".

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 01:58AM

To them, there is only one church. Their church. Everything else is “the church of the devil”. Seriously, look it up.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 08:18AM

Every time you say mormon a kitten dies.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 10:29AM

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 08:57AM

What would you rather have her say? The church in those instances just describes a building. Now if she starts saying The Church is true or The Church is against gambling, that is an entirely different usage of the word.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 09:16AM

It's just a frame of reference.

We called it that long before the term Mormon was banned.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 10:13AM

To the Utah State Legislature the is THE Church meaning The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and then there is the Faith Community meaning all those lesser churches.

Posted by: Curry ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 10:31AM

Where I grew up (a mixed mostly Italian and Polish immigrant community) anyone who said “the church” was talking about the Roman Catholic Church. The term works for whatever is the most common church in a given area.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: December 11, 2018 03:41AM

That has been my experience as well. Any family I know that actively participates in a particular church typically refers to the church they attend as "the church" when discussing anything related to it amongst themselves or other attendees of their church. When a particular church is predominant in a region, it's natural for discussions concerning religious matters to allude to the predominant church as "the church." It usually sounds presumptuous to outsiders whether "the church" alludes to the LDS church, the Roman Catholic church, or any other church.

A family my parents knew decided to move to the greater SLC metro area and to look for employment after the fact. My dad told the guy to feel free to make references to "the church" in job interviews. The guy didn't have to specify what church was implied by "the church." It worked, apparently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 03:43AM by scmd1.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 10:31AM

I would give your sister a copy of the first vision to give to the other members from the other churches. You know the one where God and Jesus say that all the other churches are an abomination that draw near with their lips but far from him with their hearts.

Mormons still claim the first vision to be true, so . . .

Might as well know what is really in a Mormon heart. No?

Date: December 10, 2018 10:33AM

I posted on the wrong thread. Sorry.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 10:56AM

The OP's point is that "the church" is a focal point of her thinking, her activities--her life. Just as "TCoJCoLdS" claimed a monopoly of ecclesiastical legitimacy,* her ward is acquiring hegemony on the OP's wife's priorities.

*the "Restoration"

Date: December 10, 2018 11:00AM

Wow. You're right. Serendipity strikes again! Or, the HG inspired the mistake?

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 11:17AM

When I went , it was always ,” the church this”, “the church that” , and “ member”, when I met a new guy, it was “ Is he a member?” Don’t forget “ worthy” and “ chastity”

Date: December 10, 2018 01:44PM

The "The" is a royal "The" not to be mistaken for the common every day variety. This "The" carries the weight of superiority and judgement. Pretty impressive for a lowly article.

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 01:47PM

I've heard "the church" in a lot of denominations. I've heard it from protestant Baptists who attend a lot. I've heard it from Scientologists and from Catholics.

I think it is simply short hand for those in their church talking to others in their church. Then when they talk to others saying "the church" just feels natural.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 01:52PM

The piss-offiest thing I can think is "The Gospel"...

To Christians it's Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John (with a bunch of those epistles thrown in).

But--the "gospel" for mo's? AFAIC, it's the BoM, BoA, WoW, GC, The Enisgn, tithing, the temple movie...

Jesus is just a hood ornament for The Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 10:10PM

The Church term is the first 2 words in the title the church of jesus christ of latter day saints. In d&c 10 jesus referred to it as my church. The church is the shortened term to denote the whole title and designated as such to be the one place to get ordinances. Russel Nelson gave a talk on this in 4/1990. You have to capitalize both words. If you dont, youre referring to the Ozzie rock group Church.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 10:31PM

Other churches are simply not on the radar of a Mormon's mind. There is only "the Church." It's kind of short for "the one and only true church upon the face of the Earth." It's "the Church."

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 10:32PM

...take your pick.

The LDS Church traces its founding to April 6, 1830, when Joseph Smith and five other men formally established the Church of Christ.[1][2] The church was known by this name from 1830 to 1834.[3][4]

In the 1830s, the fact that a number of U.S. churches, including some Congregational churches and Restoration Movement churches, also used the name "Church of Christ" caused a considerable degree of confusion.[4] In May 1834, the church adopted a resolution that the church would be known thereafter as "The Church of the Latter Day Saints".[4][5] At various times the church was also referred to as "The Church of Jesus Christ",[6] "The Church of God",[6] and "The Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints".[3][4]

...finally the final, final name; The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

...what took so long? Were all the others WRONG? Was God/Jesus wrong?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 11, 2018 10:16PM

While God or Jesus may have been confused or not paying attention in the 1830's, thanks to Russ Nelson we now know that Satan won a great victory by whispering into someone's ear "CALL THEM MORMONS".

Posted by: Funnzo ( )
Date: December 11, 2018 09:59AM

I think it's something people say without really thinking about the implications of the words they're using. I made a conscious decision to stop calling it "the" church and now refer to it as "that" church.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 02:17AM

I try to call it "the LDS Church," and my Mormon family members seem surprised. Am I implying that there are other churches?

Date: December 11, 2018 10:31PM

It's all they know.

They forgot everything else.

It's like a baby saying "ma-ma".

It's simply, all they can say.

M@t

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 08:25AM

If the listener know what church is referenced, it doesn't have to be named every time it comes up in conversation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.