Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonZen ( )
Date: December 13, 2018 11:50PM

I started drinking it last spring and it’s completely changed my health for the better, physically and mentally. Green tea is my go-to, but I also love black, white, and herbal. Always unsweetened. Just straight tea.

I can’t drink coffee or alcoholic beverages for personal health reasons, but tea is the WoW rule I’ve actually benefited from breaking. It’s so strange how that works.

On a side note, I like it because it’s easy to hide, too. Most of my Mormon friends and family can’t tell the difference between an herbal tea blend like chamomile spearmint citrus whatever and green tea, so I can drink it casually without anyone calling me out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 12:55AM

Black tea with stevia... YUM !!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:36PM

I add half-n-half non-fat creamer to mine, (with the stevia,) and that is my version of heavenly.

:)

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 01:31AM

With every sip, you are imbibing a little bit of eternal damnation. Those health benefits are a diabolical and demonic trick to lead you away from temple-compliant beverages, such as strawberry milkshakes, root beer, orange-flavored sugar water and grape Nehi (rhymes with Lehi, so you know it's righteous).

Green tea and carrot sticks? You may as well put out a welcome mat for Lucifer, saying: "come and take my soul today!"

Root beer, pizza and cheeseburgers? Have that as your daily diet, together with faithfully making tithing payments, and you WILL be ready to stand next to Jesus when he marches his followers into the Celestial Kingdom.

Mormon doctrine is a beautiful think, when you really don't think about it.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:39AM

You crack me up, Wally.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:35AM

in ~

on tea thred ~

in ~

on relaxing herbal tea thred ~

in b 4 ~ relaxing herbal tea is relaxing ~

in ~ on relaxing herbal tea thred ~

in b 4 ~ whatever ~

Date: December 14, 2018 02:53PM

There ought to be a tea named after you, Ziller.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:43AM

I love tea myself, iced and hot. My favourites are Earl Grey , Jasmine,and Black Coconut .
The green tea, I mainly only like the coconut and Jasmine flavoured ones.
Best brands are Twinings, Taylors, Harvey and son’s,and Fortnum and Mason.
Good spicy ones come out around Christmas,

Date: December 21, 2018 10:44AM

This is my favorite Christmas tea. It's only sold seasonally (currently unavailable,) from France.

https://www.amazon.com/Compagnie-Coloniale-French-Christmas-Tea/dp/B00AAJ3IEQ

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:00AM

AnonZen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... tea is the WoW rule I’ve actually benefited from breaking.
>
> ... I like it because it’s easy to hide, too. Most of my Mormon friends and family can’t tell the difference between an herbal tea blend like chamomile spearmint citrus whatever and green tea, so I can drink it casually without anyone calling me out.
>

These Mormons you are around (and certainly MANY) probably don't know that the church confessed [in 2012] CAFFEINE NEVER WAS "against the WoW"/ "rules" [your quote], but that it was "HOT DRINKS", that some members had taken that to mean ONLY HOT DRINKS with caffeine... and COLD DRINKS with it too. Bying Lastards!

The LDS put it on their website (where they changed the wording two days later, to change the "explanation") - and it was in the SLTribe - but the LDS [mis]leaders NEVER even told the members, OR THE WORLD: that they weren't against caffeine, but [caffeinated] "HOT DRINKS" (and cold beverages with caffeine).

Read up on it... and Drink Freely, and confidently.

M@t

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 09:28AM

Don't use that horrible Lipton stuff. It is floor sweepings.
Tetley is much better.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 12:13AM

Personally, I can't stand bag tea of any kind. I often buy Lipton's "yellow box" as they call it at Indian and Pakistani markets, and the"loose leaf" when I can find it. You can make it as strong as you like, and I like it "Strong enough to trot a mouse across it".

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 11:43PM

You need to read the tea grades. Pekoe and orange pekoe are the lowest grades. Read the lipton box.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 11:47PM

"The highest grades are referred to as "orange pekoe", and the lowest as "fannings" or "dust".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_leaf_grading

And none of my books on tea (I have quite a few) agree either.

And I can recite TGFOP (Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe) as a (tea) party trick.

My point is that what they put in tea bags (for a quicker infusion) is fannings or dust. Use loose leaf tea.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 10:18AM

The nly teas I will typically use are those from the state of ASSAM in North-Eastern India. Loose leaf.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 12:27PM

I know a lot of Mormons who have type 2 diabetes. They probably would have avoided it if they weren't obese and stayed away from the huge amounts of sugar they consumed over the years.

I never heard of any health problems caused by drinking tea.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 10:33PM

Part of the issue with Mos and T2 is genetics.

Date: December 14, 2018 01:13PM

I like tea in moderation.

My favorites of late include Chai tea by Twinings, Keurig style.

Numi bottled tea is big on flavor, low on calories. Its Earl Grey and Orange Blossom Green varieties are my faves.

Matcha green tea powder I've been using since my visit to Japan in 2014. I mix it in with my fruit smoothies for added flavor, anti-oxidant boost, and overall goodness.

In Japan the matcha green tea powder is a staple of the Japanese diet. It is used in many recipes there. From pastries to Kit Kat bars (there is a matcha Kit Kat bar,) to matcha flavor ice cream. In the USA it is sold as matcha mochi ice cream desserts. As a tea it dissolves in hot or cold water (or milk.)

It was a Japanese businesswoman and her Jewish husband from Los Angeles who invented the Mochi dessert. It first became famous in Little Tokyo there in Los Angeles. Now it is marketed all over the world as a Japanese cuisine food item. It's a little ball of ice cream rolled inside a rice outer layer coating. Comes in several flavors. If you get to visit Little Tokyo, the original Mochi restaurant is still there, and you can order the mochis in many flavors.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 01:21AM

I just discovered matcha as a replacement for coffee. Easier to think with.

Date: December 21, 2018 10:49AM

I've been told by some Japanese in the know that it can reverse the effects of aging and memory loss.

It has a load of benefits in such a tiny form of powder!

"Amongst its many health benefits, matcha…

* Is packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
* Boosts metabolism and burns calories
* Detoxifies effectively and naturally
* Calms the mind and relaxes the body
* Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
* Enhances mood and aids in concentration
* Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
* Prevents disease
* Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar"

https://matchasource.com/health-benefits-of-matcha-tea/

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 01:19PM

My favorite tea is Yerba Mate from Argentina. I first encountered it in Buenos Aires in 1958

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 01:40PM

Tea has become my caffeine delivery system of choice--green or black in the morning. Especially since I can sweeten it myself with Stevia and avoid the poison called aspartame. But just the relaxation of drinking it has so many benefits that after 2:00 in the afternoon I only do non-caffeinated and like to try different gourmet herbal teas. Coming home from work and fixing a cup-o-tea and sitting down to read is my idea of heaven.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 02:51PM

My TBM neighbor will not even drink herbal tea--I can't understand why since it doesn't contain caffeine. I know it is for religious reasons (she told me this) and not because she dislikes it. Is this something to do with "an appearance" of sin. Just curious. I'm sure she would have explained it to me if I'd asked, but I didn't want to seem like I was questioning her beliefs, since I really don't care about anyone's food or drink choices, religiously-based or not. I just found it odd since I'd always heard growing up that "Mormons can't drink anything with caffeine in it," yet it seemed root beer, hot cocoa, other non-caffeine drinks were fine.

Date: December 14, 2018 02:56PM

Mormons can and most certainly do drink herbal tea varieties. Your neighbor seems to be taking the prohibition the extra mile.

Date: December 14, 2018 11:13PM

NeverMo in CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just found it odd since I'd always heard growing up that "Mormons can't drink anything with caffeine in it," yet it seemed root beer, hot cocoa, other non-caffeine drinks were fine.

Back then, ALL caffeine was bad. Now it is JUST "Hot Drinks"/ ("Coffee-[caffeinated]Tea", such as green, black, brown or white = bad; blue, purple, red or yellow = good), except "Postum", "Raja's Cup", "hot chocolate", mint, hibiscus, chamomile/ "herbal" tea which is ALL GOOD.

Barqs BAD, Dad's GOOD, Coke BAD, Sprite GOOD, Mountain Dew FINE!

We/ most mormons couldn't drink rootbeer with C.
Like I say [above], tscc changed it a few years ago.
On their website anyway, so they wouldn't seem so WEIRD.
NOW Mormons can drink the stuff, but many don't know it.
Because tscc lied about that too (what's new?), they're confused.
Some think it's BAD, some NO PROBLEM. Hot Chocolate was ALWAYS fine.
The 'church' said it (LDSc) was NEVER against the wow. Liars liars liars

M@t

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 04:43PM

The three best brands: Kusmi (since 1867), Dammann (since 1692) and Mariage Frères (since 1854), all of them French but available in other countries.

I also like a lot of very local tea shops that make their own blends as a labour of love.

Date: December 18, 2018 10:37PM

Date: December 25, 2018 04:38PM

As I spent the past five days in the French town of Nancy (yes, that's the name of the town) I visited museums, ancient churches and a midnight mass in the cathedral last night. But every day, late in the afternoon, I would go to one salon de thé I discovered on my first day. La Brûlerie Nancy is a place with dozens of types of loose-leaf tea in many varieties. Their tea time formula (choose any tea with home-made cake for €8.50) was value for money.

Travel, museums, and tea? Mormons don't know what they are missing.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 05:33PM

My favorite tea is Constant Comment. A couple of years ago I gave up energy drinks and switched to black teas. So much healthier and better tasting!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 14, 2018 06:15PM

A new revelation is about to be announced that tea is now considered to be "leaf soup" and hence no longer against the word of wisdom.

This revelation came to the profit as he dozed on the couch thursday evening while watching tv.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 01:39AM

I wanna know what the profit, even Rusty, was watching when this (claimed) revelation arrived / was revealed.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:28AM

Big Bang Theory.

Shelon stated that tea is simply leaf soup

Posted by: Kentis ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 10:50AM

It's still very hard to find a decent cup of tea in restaurants across America. Something brought home to me after an extended stay in the UK recently.

Date: December 18, 2018 10:36PM

Awful Orange Pekoe anyone?

Date: December 20, 2018 05:30AM

Date: December 20, 2018 07:27PM

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 12:31PM

One of my favorite teas is Constant Comment, but I also love Earl Grey and green tea. Green tea is especially nice as an iced tea as it's refreshing. I also like going to places that serve a high English tea with sandwiches, scones, and clotted cream.

One thing about the herbal tea thing, once when my TBM ex-husband was waiting at the building while his mom was at tithing settlement, he was drinking herbal tea that was part of the RS gift basket. He was worried that some ward member was going to see him and think he was drinking actual tea because of the little tag on the string from the bag that was hanging over the mug.

As for the caffeine thing, I know of one extreme TBM that even makes other TBM's uncomfortable because she won't even allow her family to take headache medication that has caffeine in it.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 12:48PM

Chinese food isn't complete without a cup of jasmine tea! Never, never with sugar or milk, always plain.

M-m-m-m Constant Comment! My TBM RS President mother used to fly into SLC to visit me at the University of Utah, and she would stay at Little America Motel, and and we would shop downtown at the old ZCMI, and lunch at the Hotel Utah. She would bring bags of Constant Comment in a tin, and we would have tea on the balcony of the Motel. All those great memories in one little cup!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 01:21PM

My mom and I used to enjoy a cup of black tea after dinner, and I'd like to get back to that custom. I also like it late in the afternoon sometimes.

I want to increase my antioxidant intake, and that is one good way to do it.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 16, 2018 09:46AM

The teas I like are:
Earl Grey,
Spiced Chai
Chamomile
Mint herb tea.

Date: December 16, 2018 11:58AM

T's

mmm

M@t

Posted by: se ( )
Date: December 20, 2018 03:13PM

I hated the legalism in the church. I hated how they would not eat my matcha cinnamon rolls, or my tiramisu.

Date: December 21, 2018 10:53AM

That's pretty strict!!

How could anyone say no to a matcha cinnamon roll, or to tiramisu? That is meshugenah!

Matcha is a staple in the Japanese diet. Tiramisu is outta this world.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 11:01AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: December 22, 2018 06:36PM

Ok...

It's not as good as coffee...

Go, you have 59 seconds left...

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 23, 2018 01:13AM

I like an herbal blend called "Sweet N Spicy" - very tasty.

But until I get a bad tooth (abscessed, maybe??) fixed on January 4, I can't deal with anything hot, anything cold, or chewing much of anything. Molar misery.

Barely-warm cocoa with room temp Cool Whip doesn't really do it for me either, but at least it doesn't hurt.

I've always been the one who sailed through life with minimal dental problems. I figured that Saint Grandpa, who was a dentist, must have been looking after me. But now this time.

Bah humbug. I have actually had to take a couple of rounds of heavy-artillery pain meds for this baby. Never had anything like it. I've always been the good kid who brushed her teeth at least 5 times a day. OK, whine over,.

Date: December 23, 2018 12:27PM

Oh geez, catnip. Must you really have to wait until Jan 4th to get to your dentist?

Ohhhh. Tell them it can't wait.

I just got through oral surgery ... have been on antibiotics for the past two plus weeks. First for a kidney infection (that hurt like heck.) And now for the remnants of the oral surgery.

Does Tylenol help? Tylenol with codeine might work better. Ask your doctor for a prescription to hold you over until you can get in.

Date: December 23, 2018 02:14PM

Please, FIRE your current dentist first thing tomorrow morning. I'm really serious about this.

I had a dentist a couple years ago who tried pulling that on me, when I called with a bad toothache. They were going to have me wait the weekend before getting me in to get it fixed.

As soon as I was off the phone with that office, I called another dentist I knew in the area. He was able to see me the same day, and the toothache was no more.

A dentist who would have you wait that long is not worth the price you pay for their services! Puleeze, call first thing in the morning, and find a dentist who will see you ASAP.

Sincerely,

The Tooth Fairy

Date: December 23, 2018 12:29PM

Tea, unlike coffee, is to be savored.

That takes longer than a 60 second discussion.

I like both. But tea is gentler on the body IMO. And is loaded with more antioxidants.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 23, 2018 03:02PM

Then there's sweet tea in the South.

It's basically sugar at its saturation point with a little tea for good measure.

Posted by: fannyalgersfanny ( )
Date: December 26, 2018 10:02PM

You know in some Pacific Islands, Green Tea is culturally accepted by everyone. I had a Maori (New Zealand) mormon friends and they drank Green Tea until their mission president told them that was wrong and then they continued drinking it after there missions, and they are still active. They said in Fiji, New Zealand and other places even mormon bishops drink Green Tea lol and it's completely acceptable.

Now Green Tea isn't moral for mormons to drink here. I've asked church leaders why they drink it in other places in the world but not here, and both are still active full standing members in both circumstances. The only answer I've been given is "oh it's really a grey shade area" um no it's not, the church is clearly against hot teas lol so which is it. They just excuse the obvious inconsistencies and conflicts of course.

Needless to say mormons are really confused with their own doctrine.

Date: December 26, 2018 10:45PM

Another oddity is it's not only forbidden to drink tea hot like the word of wisdom ascribes. Yet nowhere in the same doctrine does it say you cannot drink it cold. Yet Mormons won't permit consumption of tea or coffee cold, or even in recipes. And that's just more weird, considering all the sugar and carbs that's consumed as compliant with the word of wisdom. It is small wonder that obesity and diabetes run rampant in Mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.