Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 08:02PM

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2018/12/15/anne-graham-lotz-my-breast-cancers-a-sign-that-an-attack-on-israel-is-imminent/

Anne Graham Lotz, daughter of the late preacher Billy Graham, has breast cancer.

That’s a condition I’d never wish on anyone, no matter how despicable their worldview. But I have to admit, my sympathy waned a little bit when she made the claim that her illness means Israel is in danger of a fatal attack:

Lotz reasoned on her website Wednesday that she has long thought of herself and the modern state of Israel as “entwined,” given that both are 70 years old, with the latter having been established in 1948.

If that’s her logic, she’s going to be shocked when she learns how many other people are also born in 1948. Israel is entwined with a lot of people, apparently…

The evangelist and author said she’s questioning whether “there is more to my cancer at the age of 70 than just a random coincidence.”

“In the Bible, God often had His spokespersons live out the message He gave them …before they delivered the message to the people,” she said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 08:11PM

On average, 250,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer in the USA annually. Anne Graham is not being singled out with a sign from heaven of the end times or the Israel will be attacked.

Other than Israel is constantly under attack by its enemies. Not much of a visionary there. But hey, she's Billy Graham's daughter.

So it must be so. ;-) (Seriously, will people actually believe her?)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 08:15PM

Yes, Anne, the all-powerful god of the universe gave you breast cancer, and hoped that you'd pick up on the super-secret hidden implication that it meant Israel was going to be attacked, so you could warn the world.

Rather than just warn the world himself. Or do something about it, as all those OT stories claim.

Yes, indeed, god works in mysterious ways...if you're nuts, that is.

Date: December 17, 2018 08:26PM

I hope she is able to get it treated and cured.

It was one year ago I received my diagnosis. It was scary as hell. At first I thought it was a death sentence. I'm still pinching myself that I'm alive and seem to be doing well

It may return, but I take things one day at a time which is all we really have anyway.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:21AM

My diagnosis was about four months after yours. I somehow never thought to connect it with Israel. But then, I don't tend to think of my life in terms of divine intervention, so there is that.

Happy Pink Ribbon Holidays!!

Date: December 19, 2018 11:33AM

I hadn't either, catnip.

Other than the only other relative I know of to have breast cancer is my distant cousin Olivia Newton-John, and we are related through the Ashkenazi side of the family tree. Since I did my genome testing for the cancer gene, it all came back negative. I believe that included or covered for the Ashkenazi connection, so I doubt very much it is related to our being distant cousins.

Each member of her immediate family has gotten some form of cancer. She has lost both her parents to it, and her siblings. No wonder she is so vigilant about finding a cure in her lifetime. I hope there is one too.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 08:36PM

These morons believe their own cant.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 17, 2018 08:50PM

I'd bet her father thought of her as representing Israel during the events of his lifetime. It wouldn't make any sense outside of their family, I'm sure.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 11:42AM

Two greatest factors for being Dx-ed with BC

Being a woman
Getting older.

Graham falls into the demo nicely

Date: December 18, 2018 12:36PM

I was just reading last night that men are being diagnosed with it more and more often these days.

There is no history of it in my family until my diagnosis.

It is something for both sexes to be more aware of.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:34PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was just reading last night that men are being
> diagnosed with it more and more often these days.
>
>
> There is no history of it in my family until my
> diagnosis.
>
> It is something for both sexes to be more aware
> of.

Yes, I have heard that, too.

Cant help but wonder on how obesity plays into men's being Dx-ed with BC. Estrogen plays a factor in ER+ types of breast cancers clearly. There are over 20 different kinds of breast cancer*S*, and they have subtypes. Even some of the subtypes have subtypes.

It is well known that estrogen will store up in the body's fat cells (that is why that is a known risk factor).

Most people who get breast cancer, female or male, have no history of it in their families.

Family history and the genetic mutations account for something like only 2% of all cases.

Not a very big part of the BC picture. But definitely a contributing factor for those who have it.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 08:17PM

Cancer in various forms absolutely GALLOPS through my mother's family: Grandmother had BrCa, survived until into her 90's after a mastectomy. Oldest uncle died due to osteosarcoma. Younger sister died of metastasized BrCa. My cousin (who began smoking at 12 or so) died of throat cancer.

As far as I know, nobody on Dad's side of the family had cancer, but a lot of them had kidney issues. I managed to get both. Ain't heredity grand??

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 12:44PM

And every time she passes gas, Justin Bieber buys a car.

If Rusty gets cancer, it will be because a Mormon said "Mormon". First Jesus will cry. Then he will give Rusty cancer.

Date: December 18, 2018 01:11PM

Wouldn't the worst thing for a neuro surgeon would be their mind begins to slip?

Oh wait, his already did.

Now he just has to keep up appearances for appearances sake.

Date: December 18, 2018 05:53PM

I wonder what would happen if she were struck by colon cancer. . .

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 11:36AM

Donald Trump will be attacked.

Date: December 19, 2018 11:45AM

Me thinks he's his own worst enemy.

Date: December 19, 2018 12:25PM

I was thinking more like Utah would get attacked.

Utah: colon: get it?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:35PM

You've just insulted colons worldwide.

Date: December 19, 2018 12:40PM

Perhaps true.

But consider this: after surgery to correct a diseased colon, many people are left with mere semicolons; that is particularly true, I am told, in S*** H*** countries.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 10:39AM

Israel always gets attacked, the surrounding countries would just as soon push Israel into the ocean.
So big whoop.

But I hope she can conquer her breast cancer.

Date: December 19, 2018 11:48AM

You're right about that.

She knew by making such a "prediction" that the odds are greatly in her favor. So when it comes to pass, she'll be declared a prophetess!

If you read the Israeli news there are attacks frequently - usually border skirmishes.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 10:45AM

I have a pimple on my rear end. The Yellowstone Caldera will explode any day now. You've been warned.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 11:29AM

That pimple on your rear end will grow into a large and painful carbuncle.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 10:54AM

Hopefully, she’ll be strong and fight back, a strong Israeli trait too. If she survives and becomes cancer Free , hopefully that’ll mean that the surrounding countries will also become war free towards Israel ( peaceful), then it’ll be closer for the timing of the Messiah

Date: December 19, 2018 11:49AM

Some evangelical Christians are so hell bent on saving the Jews from themselves, just so they can usher in Armageddon!

I like the Jewish philosophy better of "live and let live."

:)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 11:28AM

Israel is ALWAYS being attacked. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 01:19PM

There are a lot of weird things about these sorts of Evangelicals, but what is even weirder is that they are oblivious, genuinely, to their weirdness.

How can she not know that what she is claiming is weird, to say the least? But she doesn’t, genuinely.

This reminds me of the weirdness of the ostensibly ‘hoorah, fuck yea’ Americans, genuine “USA!” chanters in even the weirdest of circumstances, as Evangelicas often are, supporting and fighting *for* state sanctioned loyalty oaths to Israel:

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/israel-texas-anti-bds-law/

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/12/18/glenn_greenwald_congress_is_trying_to

https://forward.com/opinion/416216/republicans-want-you-to-believe-you-have-to-choose-between-bds-and/

26 States have these blatantly anti-American, First Ammendment violating laws on their books, right now; and Evangelicals cheer them, genuinely.

Weird.

God Save America,

Human

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.