Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 23, 2018 01:30PM

How to Keep Baby Jesus in the Manger? Bolts, Cameras and Tethers https://nyti.ms/2GL2Cka

BETHLEHEM, Pa. — Away in a manger on Bethlehem’s public square, a woman approached a statue of the baby Jesus one dark, December night. Then she stole it.

The theft, from a Nativity scene outside City Hall, raised alarm in this eastern Pennsylvania city that shares a name with the real Jesus Christ’s birthplace.

When the missing baby Jesus was found, it had been damaged, and Bethlehem’s police chief had to glue its leg back on. Then the city took action, positioning a concealed security camera exclusively on baby Jesus and assigning police officers to monitor the footage. In the two years since, the statue has been left at peace, asleep on the hay as the camera, nicknamed the “Jesus cam” by some residents, rolls.

“If anybody looks real close, they’ll see a crack in his leg,” said Lynn Cunningham, a leader of the local chamber of commerce.

Such manger larceny, in glaring violation of the Eighth Commandment, is also part of a sad national trend. This year, thieves have raided Nativity scenes in Tennessee, West Virginia, Minnesota and plenty of other places, and made off with Jesus figurines (and sometimes Mary and a donkey, too).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 23, 2018 01:42PM

Well, you violate separation of church and state and you end up with separation of Jesus and manger.

Posted by: tapir47 ( )
Date: December 25, 2018 09:14AM

We had a parishioner make a wooden Nativity in front of the Catholic Church, complete with donkeys, sheep and bales of hay. She did an awesome job.

The first Mary was stolen and had to be made again. I think the second Mary is even better than the first. Hopefully it makes it thru until January.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 25, 2018 09:48AM

Some people take the Personal Jesus thing way too far.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 25, 2018 03:22PM

"He's MY Savior."

"No! He's MY Savior!!"

Posted by: earthdaughter ( )
Date: December 25, 2018 07:50PM

Babyloncansuckit, first your dope Depeche Mode reference made me crack up then your name did...been a rather shitty day thanks to my Kool-Aid-addled Mormon dad and laughter is indeed the best medicine, thanks!! XD

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 25, 2018 04:00PM

"We have kidnapped the baby Jesus and are holding him hostage until the city/state/public/somebody solves the homelessness crisis/ends the war/eliminates fossil fuels/impeaches the dog catcher/releases secret files/or some other bizarre "social justice" demand.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 25, 2018 07:13PM

Just a moron doing the stuff morons do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.