Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: December 27, 2018 06:23PM

If the new program is compulsory, not many Mormon boys will be able to be serious Boy Scouts, because it won't be easy for them to find enough time to participate in both programs.

Some people like the BSA for its own sake.

If the new Church program is not compulsory, quite a few Mormon boys might still join the BSA. However, if they do so, they will face discrimination, because most of the Scouts and Scout leaders will not be Mormons, and many of them will have negative feelings toward Mormons because of the way the Church has treated the BSA.

The prejudice against Mormon boys in the BSA will be quite strong because there will be almost no Mormon BSA Scout leaders to dampen the prejudice.

Since they will interact so closely with Nonmormon BSA leaders, Mormon Boy Scouts will learn that gay Scoutmasters are not the "bad guys" that Mormons say they are. This will ultimately soften the Church's stance against gays. The Mormon Boy Scouts will also learn positive things from Scoutmasters of other religions.

If the Church wants to avoid influence from Nonmormon BSA Scoutmasters, it will NEED to make its new scouting program compulsory, and time consuming enough that boys will find it hard to participate in both programs.

Since the Church still allows its boys into the BSA, the Church will need other sanctions that make it hard for Mormon Boys to join the BSA.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2018 06:28PM by behindcurtain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 27, 2018 06:47PM

My guess is that the new program for the Young Men will be similar to the program for the Young Women, with perhaps some more active/outdoor aspects.

Based on my experience as a young Catholic girl who was a member of an ELCA Lutheran Girl Scout troop, my best guess is that Mormons who wish to continue in scouting will be welcome in troops sponsored by other churches, but will not be allowed to dominate those troops. There will be no, "My church is better than your church," because that simply won't fly in the nevermo world.

But I also feel that Mormons will be discouraged from joining Boy Scout troops in the same manner that the Young Women are discouraged from joining the Girl Scouts. The Mormon church does not like to give up control. The attitude from the church will be that the Young Men's program is a complete program and that young Mormon males need not look elsewhere.

Posted by: paulsal ( )
Date: December 27, 2018 06:50PM

that will really tick them off have your boys join the loal BSA at a local church.

Wand to really get them rilled up have your wife be a Girl Scout leader.

When i was in the church my daughter was a giil scout and she grew very great in measure for it.

I remember her first year at camp only 7, and came home oss confident and 'grown up' i remember her telling me i am a big girl now dad , i take showersnot baths.

she went on and at age 12 woon a local state contest by essay and was selected to go to florida for 10 days got her scuba certification and dove off the florida keys to 90 feet

the boys at church were agast how was a girl doing such things

i braged on her a good bit
only popped 3 buttons off my vest@@@@

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 27, 2018 07:03PM

Paulsal, I was not only a Girl Scout, but also worked at a Girl Scout summer camp as a lifeguard and swimming/boating instructor. The camp I worked at had incredible programs. I saw young teenage girls take command of 40+ foot sailboats (yes, with an adult on board, but those girls were in charge.) The girls were justifiably proud of themselves and extremely confident young women. The GS program does not underestimate young women in any way whatsoever.

Posted by: Birddog ( )
Date: December 27, 2018 07:17PM

It is a church program -there is no way to make it compulsory. It will probably be highly encouraged but what if you don’t participate? There is absolutely nothing that they can do to you. My family is active and I anticipate participating when we chose - just like we do now.

My family is currently active in a BSA troop chartered by a Protestant church and we experience no discrimination. My husband is an Assistant Scout Master and I went with the boys to. Summer camp. The troop’s policy of not discriminating against women is why we chose them. The troop in our ward would not let moms camp with the troops.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 27, 2018 09:07PM

My prediction is that it will not be compulsory, just like missions are not compulsory.

If any Mormon boy joins the BSA, any prejudice will come from the non-BSA Mormons.

Some Mormon boys will want to join the BSA, especially in non-Morridor areas. They will want to participate with their school friends. Part of the draw will be so they can achieve the rank of Eagle Scout. Any analogous award given by TSCC just will not impress any non-Mormon person ever. IMO the status has slipped in recent years because the Mormons watered it down such that most of the work is done by the parents.

And yes, as paulsal said, the worst thing a Mormon female can do is be active in the Girl Scouts.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 27, 2018 09:31PM

Since the church allows it's boys to join the BSA.

That sentence alone speaks volumes.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 27, 2018 11:53PM

I don’t think most mormon boys in Boy Scouts will be discriminated against by non mormon leaders. Most adults who care enough about children to volunteer their time to help them aren’t going to like that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.