Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 11:10AM

We had to release him from this life on Christmas evening. We are grieving.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 11:27AM

I am so sorry. It's the last, best thing that we can do for our furry friends, but it's not easy.

I remember reading a factual story about wolves that was written for children. The story followed a wolf family and went into great detail about each family member's role within the pack. There was even a goofball nephew that was the designated babysitter for the baby wolves when the pack went hunting. :) It made me realize that humans serve as a dog's family in just the same manner as a wolf's pack does. If dogs think of us as their family members, why wouldn't we think of them in the same way?

All I can say is, if there is an afterlife (as I hope there is,) there had better be some wagging and waving tails among my greeters.

Date: December 31, 2018 11:31AM

Thank you.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 11:33AM

You hurt that badly because you loved that deeply. The grief is an odd marker of the joy they brought, but it is. I have never felt such pain as losing my little furry ones. All the best to you.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 11:47AM

Your beloved dog was lucky to have your devotion. Well done to you.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 11:54AM

What would humans do without dogs?
So sorry, Evergreen. :(

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 12:09PM

Sending love to you and yours Evergreen, and a great big thank you for looking after your darling doggie. xxx

Date: December 31, 2018 12:27PM

Seeing my sweet one again makes me want to believe in an afterlife--just not the momo one.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 02, 2019 12:53AM

One of the many reasons why I cherish the notion of the Rainbow Bridge. Many years ago, when our neighbor the vet had to put down one of our furbabies, her clinic sent us a card with "The Rainbow Bridge" poem printed on it. Each staff member had signed it, and they each added a personal note about this particular cat - his beauty (he was a Russian Blue), his intelligence, his affectionate nature - and it wasn't just baloney. They had obviously picked up on some characteristics that were uniquely HIS.

I still have the card and showed it to my neighbor the other day. She was deeply touched that I still had it.

May your precious pup greet you, one day, when it's your turn to cross the Rainbow Bridge! (I'm expecting a furry-purry onslaught when it's my turn. . .with my BFF and HER furbabies on the other side of the Bridge.) Whole lotta lovin' at that Bridge.

Take care. It's never easy to lose a cherished one.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 12:47PM

I am so sorry for the loss of your family animal member; I believe in the Rainbow Bridge much more than the Plan of Salvation...

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 01:03PM

It’s our (very difficult) duty to take the pain from their body and plant it in our hearts.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 03:23PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It’s our (very difficult) duty to take the pain
> from their body and plant it in our hearts.

Yes, you are right in this.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 01:14PM

I am so sorry.

Date: December 31, 2018 02:24PM

Thank you everyone.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 02:42PM

Very sorry for your loss.

I have two old dogs on my lap and legs this very moment. Their time is coming up soon, too soon. We dread the moment.

Allow yourself the grieving. It’s legitimate. It’s real. And it’ll take some time.

Wishing you th best,

Human

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 03:13PM

Sorry for your loss.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 03:23PM

So sorry for your loss.
Loosing a beloved fur family member has it's own deep grief.
Be kind to yourself.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 04:41PM

I am feeling for you and your family.

This hurts.

Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 06:41PM

I'm sorry. It must be hard to lose a dog that you love so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2018 06:42PM by behindcurtain.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 08:13PM

My parents have both passed away and they would agree with me. Losing their dogs was extremely difficult for them, too.

I look at the 2 I have now and worry. How will I ever live through it again. I always tell them they have to take me with them when they go.

I hate to say that the thing that has helped me the most in losing a dog is to get another one. You have to know you are ready for it. I decided to rescue dogs after losing my 14 year old dog some years back as then I felt like I was doing something good and then I could never regret it, but it still hasn't been easy to lose the ones I've lost since then. I have to go on antidepressants again every time and I have to go on something like Xanax for a while.

Date: January 01, 2019 12:38AM

I miss his energy, his devotion, his love, his presence. I miss the daily rituals we developed, wagging tail and joyful greeting when i came home, walking at the dog park, saving treats for him at the restaurant, knowing he was there.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 01:01AM

Really sorry to hear of the loss of your darling doggie.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 03:54AM

You are making my cry for my dog, now. I know what you mean about the little rituals. I lived alone for a while, and I remember the happiness I felt coming home to someone who was so happy to see me! I'm remembering her tonight, because I had to be home before midnight on New Year's, to comfort her through the noisy fireworks. It was the same on the Fourth of July.

Don't stop walking! The hikes without your dog won't be as fun, and you won't have him forcing you to go. I still feel close to my dog (I know she's waiting in the hereafter) and I picture her romping in the snow, and sniffing around. We would play "hide-and-seek" in the trees.

It does help to get another dog, though you don't really feel like it. I have my daughter's dog, which is a rescue. She reminds me of my other dog, and she needs me! For each different dog, there is a different love. Another New Year of fireworks, and my daughter's dog is here under my desk, shaking. Will the fireworks last all night?

I wish dogs lived as long as we do. My sympathy to you!

Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 05:45AM

I read a quote once that grief is the price we pay for loving. And our lives would be SO empty without the love of our animals. They ask so little and give us SO much love. My heart goes out to you, and I send hugs across the oceans. Your life has had a wonderful gift and I hope that much more love comes your way.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 06:00AM

((((((((evergreen)))))))) I am so sorry for your loss and do understand your intense grief.Your little pet had a good life and oceans of love because you made it that way.

Date: January 01, 2019 10:06AM

Thank you everyone. Your kind words make such a difference to me and my dh.

Date: January 08, 2019 09:22PM

We picked up the ashes today :(

I guess he is really gone.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 11:43AM

I don't know if there is an afterlife, but if there is, and my furry friends aren't there...it won't be heaven.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 12:01PM

I’m so sorry. Losing a pet at Christmas is especially tough. We lost our MacGregor on December 18, 2012 and it was heartbreaking. Peace be with you at this time. When you’re ready, a new pet may be just what you need. We adopted Arran a month after we lost MacGregor and he was perfect... not a substitute, but someone who needed love and a home. We still have him six years later and love him dearly... and remember MacGregor, who made it possible for us to give him a home. Sometimes I think MacGregor even sent Arran to us.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 10:18PM

Sorry you lost a family member. And yes, dogs are family members.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: January 02, 2019 06:04AM

The painfulness of facing what we know is inevitable from the start. I've lost animals that were quite old and it still hurts even when you can see it coming and you try to prepare yourself.

People who aren't into pets don't understand the attachment and are often dismissive in a way that makes the grief even worse because they make you feel guilty for grieving over "just an animal."

A pet fills an unusual place in our emotional lives. They are treated and often act like children, and we react to them like they are children, yet unlike our children they do not outlive us (usually.) Losing a pet can feel like losing something very much like an infant or toddler -- something that we interact with emotionally even though it can't communicate in adult language.

It can also feel almost like losing a limb or an organ. Our animals can feel like an extension of ourselves -- especially obviously with service animals but even so with ordinary pets. Losing one can feel like losing a sense perception or something.

I've had people tell me "you can always get another cat/dog" which is true but that's like telling someone who's lost a close friend "you can always get another friend."

Date: January 02, 2019 12:02PM

You said it perfectly, anonyXmo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2019 12:03PM by kathleen.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 02, 2019 12:06PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You said it perfectly, anonyXmo!

Absolutely!!

Very well done analysis, anonyXmo.

Date: January 08, 2019 09:23PM

We picked up the ashes today.

I guess he is really gone :(

Date: January 08, 2019 10:21PM

Evergreen, please don't think that grief therapy is only for losing a human.

After Mr. Peabody was stolen, we were in therapy for a year. It was beneficial.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 09, 2019 09:44AM

Losing my dogs was the worst but for some reason getting the ashes eased the pain. They were gone and it hurt so bad but I had them back in a way. I needed to know where their ashes were.

I hope you are doing okay. It is hard.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 08, 2019 10:42PM

Having the ashes certainly bring a note of finality.

When one of my children's pets died in Japan, instead of ashes from the cremation, the custom there is the owner comes and takes the bones from the ashes using a set of chop sticks. Then they are placed carefully in a package to carry the remains. It is the bones rather than the ashes that are preserved. Strange custom if you aren't familiar with it. That may have caused my child culture shock more than anything else that I know of.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.