Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 05:35PM

Guessing it might be smaller than the old farm days.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 05:46PM

He's a polygamist with more than one wife.

My sister has 12 and isn't a polyg. She's just a regular mormon church TBM lady.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 05:50PM

15. 13 of their own and adopted 2 from within the extended family.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 06:35PM

10. All from one couple.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 06:39PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 06:53PM

23. I kid you not. Two consecutive wives. First had 12 children then died. Second wife had 11, then finally aged out of fertility - saved by the bell, so to speak.

The guy wasn't even Mo, until the time I was a mishie in the ward in Brazil. By the time I knew him, all of the first batch was grown and out of the house, and about half of the second batch were also out of the house. He had a passable but not great income.

Even the ward members were stunned.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 06:55PM

on my street there's one of 8 and another of 10. And where I grew up (Ogden) two who had 11.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 06:57PM

Seventeen if I remember correctly. One couple, no divorces, no adoptees, no multiple births.

Doctor used a catcher's mitt after the tenth one. OK...that's a joke.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 07:45PM

My Mom had 36 siblings and 4 mommie dearests. I will have to admit my grandfather had to have guts.

As for single mommie families I have numerous relatives with 7 or more but the record as far as I know is 13.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 09:28PM

A guy from our mission had 15 kids last time I saw him at a 25-year reunion. He became a pediatrician, so I think he knew about birth control. That was the last reunion I went to, so I don't know how many he had overall. One wife.

Another friend of DH had 9 kids, his wife died, he then married a woman with 9 kids, so 18 overall. Not sure if they had another kid together.

I retired after 2 kids, much to the regret and agony of my in-laws.

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 11:56PM

I went through high school with kids from two different families which each had 17 children. That's right. TWO families with 17 children each. Each of these families had one mother, no multiple births. This is not hearsay, I knew them, since there was a kid in my grade, one a year older, one a year younger, etc., etc. This was in Utah Valley.

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 11:58PM

P.S. These were not farm families. These were tract-home dwelling families in the 1980's. 17 kids.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 03:03AM

Four of my TBM cousins in Bountiful, SLC, and Provo have 12 children. Three of the mothers look awful, and the fourth looks beautiful, after giving birth 12 times. All four mothers seem "spaced-out", with that glazed stare and that whispery temple-voice, and they seem to have identical personalities (or lack of). One cousin decided on his mission that he wanted 12 children, and most of the girls would not date him, because of that. He and his wife had 3 babies die at the end, trying for Baby Number 12. Countless miscarriages in between.

One of my other cousins is a doctor, and he thinks this is very foolish--he stopped at 8. One of his sons has 23 children, so far. 12 are their own, and the others are adopted, from Africa. The older ones help raise the little ones. Both parents are overweight and unhealthy. They live in the Pacific Northwest.

None of these people seem very happy, even with their excesses of kids, high church positions and self-importance.

It is interesting, and very telling, to talk to the children in these large families! They have a negative perspective on big families! Most had to have after-school and weekend jobs, had too much babysitting and household chores, and were overburdened with Mormon perfectionism. They didn't get very far, education-wise. More than half of the kids (now young adults) have left the cult. They don't plan on having a lot of kids. A few want zero.

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 12:20PM

As I've learned about the complexities of existence and the miracle of every unique person, I have devoted my life to celebrating each baby that fine women and girls have blessed me with.

Currently trying for another (#10) But my awesome fiancee will have no fewer than three.

The more one is able to see miracles, the more one basks in what matters most: relationships.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 01:03PM

Her fiance was #16 of 16. Those kids were a "mess." They had learned to beg and I was their target after she dumped him at the alter and his sister (#15) still tries to hit me up for money.

My BIL is #1 of 13. His mother was 16 when he was born and his father was 29. She had another child the next year, and a set of twins the year after that. Her husband died in his 60s and she has had a group of the kids who never succeeded living with her since. One is my age (61) and has never held more than a part-time job and lives off her mother, and gives her mother advice nonstop.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 01:30PM

21 kids. They had never all been together when I knew them

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 02:52PM

My TBM neighbor's husband is from a family of 12. Her family is comparatively small, as she has only 5 siblings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.