Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: johnboy23 ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 07:10PM

I spoke with a crazy mormon who said he would follow the prophet joe smith even if he was a false prophet and one of the greatest con men that ever lived. He wanted to be like Joe smith,stiff neck self rightous prideful dignified ambassador for the mormon jesus. I told him that the bible said not to accept any other angel preaching another gospel or let him be accursed. It went in one ear out the other. Why do some people stay in the church after they search church history, its racism, joe smith marrying other mens wifes, the fraud of the book of abraham, the blood oth doctrine and adam god theory by revelation from Brigham Young, and the different accounts of the first vision, and the list goes on, yet many still remain faithful latter day saints that endure to the end..Why? Is it the greed for celestial eternal sex, the culture of families can be together for ever still within their vision even after knowing the dreadful facts of the lies and fabrication cover ups of church history, not able to question or criticise the leaders even if if they deserve criticism, and just obey and shut up and put up with the dogma of this crazy relegion..Why do they stay in the church knowing all this, be it they know its not true or refuse to believe its not true? thanks for your comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 07:34PM

I would say they stay in after they know all this history because they don't see this history as all that bad. Take for instance polygamy. There is a lot of it going on right now in Islam. There's a lot of polygamy going on right now in Africa. And it's no crime and they aren't looked at as sinners for doing it. Also in Islam they were practicing slavery all the way into the 1900's at least until ww1 with Unicks, Mutilations, and all the gag of tricks. And the Mohamadans didn't think it was bad at all rather just an ordinary part of life. In fact there are places in South East Asia (I've heard) that even up until now there may be underage sex trade going on.

So one's persons idea of morality is different from anothers. Read Thomas Sowells classic work "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" for a greater history of Human Slavery around the world.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 07:41PM

It is easier to stay for many people than to leave.

I've said it so many times before that I asked my Catholic friends how they felt about priest sexual abuse and they said, "It is unfortunate." If it happens to you, it isn't JUST unfortunate. I left the lds church kicking and screaming. I NEEDED it to be true. It was the way for me to live my life in such a way that I wouldn't have to suffer as long as I was a good little mormon. It didn't work. I left 100% on life experience. There is no way I could stay.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 12:31AM

I was researching something and found myself on a Catholic message board today. The board members were justifying why it was okay for a priest to deny a woman communion because she was married outside of the Catholic church -- because you see, if she has a civil marriage, then "she is not really married." Of course she and her husband can fix that temporarily by refraining from having sex.

And you know what? That is correct Catholic doctrine. And it is nuts. I was aghast. People can justify all sorts of nuttery if it's religious doctrine.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 07:47PM

Some people need the church. It's a large part of who they are. They will overlook anything that puts the church in a bad light because they don't want to face those bad facts.

Date: December 31, 2018 08:07PM

thankyou for your comments. I see the point made..happy new year.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 08:48PM

Sounds like you encountered a nut job. Mormonism isn't the only religion with this incredible ability to over ride peoples logic and critical thinking. Practically anyone claiming to speak for god can find followers.

It seems to help them be more dedicated followers if the cult leader claims god is commanding them to have sex with him. The problem isn't just the con-men cult leaders but the many millions of easy targets who are eager to join a cult.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 09:01PM

There is no getting through to the religious nut jobs. They are generally good people but entirely unreasonable. Mormonism isn't the only religion that has this incredible ability to over ride peoples logic and critical thinking. Practically anyone claiming to speak for god can find followers. It seems to help them be more dedicated followers if the cult leader claims god is commanding them to have sex with cult leader. The problem isn't just the con-men cult leaders but the many millions of easily targeted dupes who are eager to join a cult.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 31, 2018 09:49PM

There are most likely a variety of reasons why Mormons stay in when they know the truth. I think one reason may be that some just want to display their faithfulness. What they're being faithful to may not be as important as showing others that they're dedicated.

Posted by: Dr.No ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 07:56PM

"Why do some people stay in the church after they search church history, its racism, joe smith marrying other mens wifes, the fraud of the book of abraham, the blood oth doctrine and adam god theory by revelation from Brigham Young, and the different accounts of the first vision, and the list goes on, yet many still remain faithful latter day saints that endure to the end..Why?"
============================

They're not motivated by fact, evidence, nor even mere data.

Look around -- not in the corporation only.
The medieval mind is not only alive and well, but thriving in this age of information.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 08:33PM

The Brain is a very odd thing. When someone needs to believe something badly enough they will go to all kinds of lengths to make themselves keep believing it. The same thing occurs among victims of domestic violence, children who are victims of incest from their parent, etc. A person very often just cannot see something when they are in the midst of it. You want so badly to love your spouse, for example, that you just cannot see things that would make you leave that person.

Religion is intentional brainwashing. "Obedience: the 1st Law of Heaven" as the church teaches. Ignore anything that doesn't fit with what you need to believe. Islam is the extreme of this -- such an extremely violent religion -- I was so shocked when I first read the Koran. Brainwashing works. The church has the techniques very well refined. And so does Islam. People are willing to kill for God -- this is entirely what terrorism is all about -- it's all about RELIGION and Faith and Obedience, even when you don't want to do something, as the Koran says "You do not understand the command of God and how God knows it is best for you that you do Jihad (kill) for God. God knows it is best for you and you must do it even though you hate it.

That's religion in a nutshell.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 01, 2019 08:54PM

IF (I repeat IF) the LDS leaders insisted on themselves following Honesty, Kindness, Respect for all as their first priorities;

complete transparency of doctrines & finances

leadership positions: Women wanted, needed, Welcomed

IF they didn't allow MoRoyalty any special privileges...

It would definitely be better, more palatable

Not perfect, just more palatable.

NOPE, they won't do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 08:55PM by GNPE.

Date: January 03, 2019 06:50AM

thankyou everyone for your comments much appeciated.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 12:17PM

I had my awakening when I found an academic book about the plural wives of Joseph Smith. It was well documented and started me reading more. This was pre-internet. When I discovered all the raunchy things JS had done in his lifetime I went to an Institute teacher and asked if these things were true. He admitted that everything I had learned was true and then said, "But the church is still true!". I was dumbfounded.

I've learned over the years that a lot of psychotic behavior continues even after people know that they are behaving in an unhealthy way or a self-destructive way simply because they are getting something out of the relationship. Sometimes the relationship can be physically dangerous but the person won't let go because psychologically the person is getting something out of it. The trick is figuring out what they are getting out of the toxic relationship. I think some of the perceived benefits of staying in TSCC even when the facts are known include: community stature, financial gain, social status, family power, or just avoiding uncomfortable confrontations. Then there is always the awful experience of having to admit to one's self and others that years of saying "I know this church is true" was just plain not true. No one likes looking like a dope so they'll do almost anything to avoid admitting they could be wrong and there never was any Holy Spirit talking to them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.