Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 02, 2019 06:36PM

Boring is the best word to describe the majority of my time put in being an active member of the beliefs of Mormons.

Sprinkled throughout that time I had some really cool experiences. If I were like some Mormons I know I wouldn't talk about them and use them to prop up the smoldering remains of their burning my bosom so long ago.

Long into adulthood in Mormonism one becomes the pathetic old person sifting these ashes hoping for a phoenix to arise at the end of their life. It doesn't happen. It also has a phrase for not happening - "endure to the end."

So I'm no too surprised by this quote.

"When you take this cacophony of concerns and blend it into one community of faith, “it is,” Green says, “overpoweringly beautiful.” "
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/12/27/this-week-mormon-land-why/

Yes, looking into the eyes of people of a community of faith where life started with hope and is toiling towards one of bored peace and order and as Gordon Hinckley said "safety" one can see the beauty of turning green eyes blue with the hardships of all the mentally attempting to have some kind of peace with Mormon boredom.

"...But life under the Taliban was better. At least there was peace and order."
https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-green-eyed-Afghan-girl-up-to-these-days

Amazing that a journalist would publish a piece on how the Mormon Church isn't boring. And to top it off with American Mormonism's "cacophony of concerns" as something that could even come close to be "overpoweringly beautiful" like the photo of girl with green eyes is.

How has the girl with green eyes survived?

“It was,” said Sharbat Gula, “the will of God.”

And that my friends is all the Mormons have. Their boring survival because it is their "will of God."

I saw this first hand over the holidays with my visiting family. Their boring Mormonism is some kind of badge of overpoweringly beautiful concerns like when they all got online with their devices to study at home because of some directive from their prophet. The boredom in my children's eyes was palatable. But their they were with their elders of a mother and her parents studying stuff they could care less about but want to believe in its importance.

Mormonism and church time is achingly boring. If that is beautiful then I don't know what beauty is. For me, hauntingly beautiful is what the girl with green eyes is and for Mormons their church isn't hauntingly anything except haunting them. They place themselves in this restrictive box and make it about their god and endure tortuous meetings of mind-numbing boredom for the hope that they will have some burnings return and have some spirit of burnings past long ago in their youth reignite them to help them through the drudgery of the Mormon way.

Yes Virginia, Mormon church is boring and they like it that way. Mediocrity meted out by corporate business plans is the perfect recipe for overpoweringly beautiful cacophony of concerns that tear hearts apart and force people upon crosses of concerns that are generated by those corporate business plans. Very boring plans played out in very boring meetings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 02, 2019 11:00PM

That's why you take your iPhone.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 10:58AM

I guess if you want to ignore the cacophony of concerns blended into one community of faith that is overpoweringly beautiful.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 11:52AM

going to church after "he" left trying to find something that I had found there before. I sat on the sofa and got there after SM started so nobody would talk to me and they wouldn't call me to a position. I wanted some answers for my life. Nothing. Zero. Zilch.

My boyfriend remembers me as a young mormon girl and he said he found it extremely sad thinking of me sitting there on the sofa searching for what I thought I had in the lds church.

I have as much or more outside of the lds church. I'd say more. I appreciate the little things more. I'm not always questioning why God is punishing me. I'm not worried about where I'm going to end up or who I'll be with. I'm sure if there is an afterlife, that I'll be with who I love.

I stated in another thread, my aunt sent all of my family (my siblings and all their children) book of mormons for Christmas with a note from her to each of us. She warned me that it was coming as I've cut her off before for her attempts at bringing me back. She said she was doing it as my mother asked her to (my mother is dead, but I still believe she is still around). I know why mother would have asked her and she and I have talked about it. I found my brother's grandson for him. His son, who he never met, was killed in an automobile accident 7 years ago and we just found out in September, and we knew there was a son by what had been said in the obituary. And I found him. It took some work.

But I still have that bofm sitting on my kitchen table. My son says please throw it away before his sister decides I'm reading it. My aunt even sent my boyfriend one. I only have one sibling who is active mormon. My daughter is the only active grandchild. So my aunt is trying to save us. She stated that she felt that since Nelson said to read the bofm that it would be what she could do for our mother. My mother accepted who we were. She raised good, honest children.

Nothing more boring than the BofM. You want to impress me with your church, don't try selling me the bofm. I've read it enough times to know how boring it is.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 12:21PM

God needs religion like electrons need electric power utility companies.

The one thing that I do like about (others) attending church -its just that many (boring) people that I will NOT be encountering when I am out doing what I like to do on Sunday.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 04:32PM

"Mormonism and church time is achingly boring."

I lift my right hand to sustain that notion.

Any opposed? <crickets>

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 05:11PM

Hahah smirk and lowpriest.

When I first started going I sat up front with the Mishies, then later I sat in back and sure enough, there were all these people on their phones, browsing, just like Kathleen said.

I sometimes just got up and walked around the halls. The people outside in the lounge chairs or the kitchen or the mother's room were all the coolest people. They were too bored to sit through it too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 05:12PM by mel.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 05:17PM

Ah, it's more than just boredom!

A Mormon's brain is being deliberately put into a soporific state, which makes it easier to be "brainwashed"!

It's the slow drip, drip, drip of the faucet, that creates an enormous hole in whatever it's dripping upon. Boredom is "nothingness", and no damage is being done.

I've been bored many times. A teacher becomes boring, by repeating the same things over and over. A class is dumbed down, in order to accommodate the slowest students. Waiting in line is boring. Washing the same dishes over and over is boring. Difficult physical chores become boring and tedious. Social interactions can be the most boring of all, especially when negativity is added. What I'm saying is, that we all live and understand "boring."

The Mormon kind of boring is more invasive! For example, Mormonism strips your mind of imagination. When I'm bored, I can always "space out" to pleasant memories, future fun plans, or to noticing interesting details around me. My mind is free, because I won't be "tested" later on the experience. In Mormonism, you are forced to pay attention, because you will be called on to speak, or to recite in class, or perform before others, or memorize the scripture and the song lyrics and the chanting. (Do kids still chant in Primary?) You will be socially humiliated if you fail in this. In the Mormon extreme, EVEN your whole salvation in the hereafter depends on memorizing the secret handshakes and names of the secret signs in the temple (this information is bought at a huge price of 10% of your salary for life). Mormons are trapped. Their minds are trapped.

Mormons' brains are programmed to live in fear. They're programmed to be minions and "servants of The Lord", meaning "The Mormon cult."

Mormons' brains and spirits are drained of pride, self-esteem, joy, unconditional love, and hope. All that's left is ennui and despair--and this is a painful process! Mormon boredom makes me physically ill. It made me depressed on Sundays and even beyond.

Normal life boredom is often a necessity; for example, waiting for a good doctor is what we have to do, for him to help us. Mormon boredom is UNNECESSARY. Think about it. How much of it is just trumped-up busywork, boring amateur talks, badly written propaganda. The temple experience is the epitome of unnecessary boredom for the purpose of brainwashing.

Being bored by being poorly entertained is different than being assaulted with lies! We have been forced to sit there at the Mormon church and be lied to. We have also been threatened! We have constantly been criticized! We have been manipulated into competing with others, and even (hopefully not successfully) into hating other races, gays, children of gays, apostates, other religions, women, whatever. We have been manipulated into doing things we do not want to do and do not feel is right. We have been bludgeoned with orders and deadlines:"Do this NOW, do it this way, no it wasn't good enough, do more!"

This is so much more than mere boredom!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 07:00PM

Wow exmin, thanks!

I sometimes wondered if there was something wrong with my brain that I couldn't understand all this scripture.

Then I got to the final lesson about Exaltation and I could understand that one, it was like a kindergarten concept, giving all kinds of candy, whatever you wanted--but saving the expensive candy for your special friends--only the married and tithing and repentant, etc., get that Highest Level of Celestial Kingdom.

Posted by: Mental Flosser ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 10:18AM

My grandfather, who has considered Mormonism in the 50s called it the church of the corporation of Joseph Smith. He likened meetings to corporate board rooms; long, boring, pointless and mandatory. He said they all sounded like Jerry Falwell on thorazine, except when they "felt the true spirit of the corporate god" and wept for the appropriate amount of time before moving on to more business. He described fast and testimony sundays as a shareholders meeting. After reading your post, all I could think of was my grandpa. Still accurate after 60 years.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.