Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 04:27AM

If there is a God wouldn't the ultimate test be to leave us totally alone to see where we end up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 05:10AM

If there really is a god who made me this way... Then F**K HIM so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 01:25PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 04:53PM

oneinbillions Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then F**K HIM so much.

I wonder how Wendy is doing in this church department?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 01:26PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 06:39AM

Any being that would create us and put us through all of this is not any being to be worshipped. I’d consider him/she/it to be sadistic.

Posted by: johnboy23 ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 06:58AM

anyone ever thought there might be two gods. little god and big god. who inspired the blood thirsty old testiment and book of mormon. Little god did and who is little god no other than the devil himself. Maybe big god hates relegion and had nothing to do with it. Maybe we need to come to god void of relegion on higher spiritual levels to get answers. A loving god would have nothing to do with the blood thirsty old testiment and book of mormon wars and battles. Such an angry god is little god the devil.Big god is love not anger and harsh judgment....We create our own hell, no thanks to relegion on the subject to induce fear and guilt...Hate relegion but love god, Big god not little god...My spiritual friend is finishing a book called Big god little god. It will go online oneday and could be a best seller.... cheers everyone....

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 12:33PM

You probably know this, but your "little god" is called the "demiurge" in gnosticism and some other religions. He is the god who created the material universe, subject to infatuation with physical as opposed to spiritual reality and capable of anger, jealousy, and a thirst for revenge.

There is a hint of Indian philosophy in this, not because of direct connections but because in the few centuries before and after Jesus the Greeks were contemplating the big moral questions and could not conceive of a God who would allow suffering and evil. The Christians decided the god of the OT was this demiurge and that the rightful object of worship was the loving NT God. Thus the demiurge is almost a physical illusion obstructing human appreciation of the ultimate, loving truth.

Date: January 03, 2019 07:09AM

It’s too complicated. You have to explain where a god came from. Who created God and who created the god, or whatever it was, that created God?

The biggest question for me is how all of these bags of chemicals (us) became sentient, rather than trying to understand this invisible being that most-likely doesn’t exist.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 09:39AM

I agree with you, Alan XL, as I have always said that the true test of a person is not whether they can follow the rules, but what will they do, who will they be, when there are no rules?

Doesn't kindness and goodness coming from within count a million times more than the god commanded kind?

If there were a God, religion's idea of him is ridiculous and small minded and petty and stupid. They really should drop the pretense and just call him "Sky Daddy" because they just want some one to make everything better without doing anything themselves as they claim to be his favorites. So you get things like Olive Oil healings which don't heal and demeaning rules to follow like what you can wear and how much you can laugh. I could go on with the down side of religion. It's a gold mine. Well, tin actually.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 09:53AM

Whaddya mean, do nothing?

Why, people pray to god to help them find their lost keys...and sometimes they find them!

And people pray to god to help them beat a cancer with a 50% cure rate...and about 50% of the time, they beat it!

And...well, creation and puppies and stuff!

How can you say "do nothing?" Sheesh.

Date: January 03, 2019 09:58AM

And don't forget his schedule is already pretty full what with deciding who gets the winning touchdown, who wins the Oscar, and picking world leaders. Talk about yer multi-tasking!

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 11:06AM

Football, Oscars and finding keys, so that's why he doesn't have time to prevent burn victims and kids starving to death and a plethora of other cruelties in the world. Maybe he just needs to get better organized or perhaps some moral priorities?

Posted by: brotherofjared ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 01:54AM

I've heard enough about God finding lost keys, or in the past, before electronic ignition and fuel injection, starting stalled cars. Why haven't I ever heard stories about God miraculously fixing flat tires?

Date: January 05, 2019 02:28AM

Tires are the responsibility of the Three Nephites.

Date: January 03, 2019 11:09AM

Joe found out. He realized he had seen God and God looked a lot like himself so....

“I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves.”

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 11:12AM

You call this nothing?

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 11:15AM

Whaddya mean, do nothing? (quoting Hei)

He fixed the cataracts of Sam's mum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeWPScnolo

Date: January 04, 2019 04:04PM

That was hilarious :)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 11:43AM

is that if I were a God, I could have done a much better job. Why teeth that don't keep growing back, but fingernails that do? Why do dogs live short lives and people live long ones? Why don't dogs' noses run, but peoples' noses do. Why morning sickness? That is a big one for me. I was so damn sick. It has been 34 years since I lived through it, but I still remember well. It was worse than the C-section by far.

So many questions about why? Mosquitoes? Really? Black widows?

Was all this really necessary? I watch my children, mostly my son, and ask "why did I choose to put him through this life?" I'm glad I have kids, but at what cost to them. Talk about selfish.

Date: January 03, 2019 12:17PM

cl2 Wrote:
> So many questions about why? Mosquitoes? Really?
> Black widows?
>
> Was all this really necessary?

Not to mention that we live in a universe that’s always trying to kill us. One collision with a big asteroid could wipe out all of us.

Tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, fires, diseases and extreme temperatures. You’d think that this god could at least provide its creations with decent accommodations. You can’t live without the Sun, but the Sun can also kill you.

I mean really!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 10:20PM

And down under, there are insects, fish, plants and reptiles waiting to kill you. Apparently, Old Testament God created Australia.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 11:32PM

All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.

Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom.
He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid
Who made the spikey urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did!

All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.
Amen.

Songwriters: John Du Prez / Eric Idle

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 03:55AM

'Apparently, Old Testament God created Australia.'

Wow go ahead and knock Australia after all he gave you guys Pretend gold plates and us Vegemite!

Now who are the losers........

Posted by: blacksheep1 ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 08:46AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2019 08:48AM by blacksheep1.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 12:50PM

Why would there be a god?

Date: January 03, 2019 04:35PM

Razortooth Wrote:
> Why would there be a god?

Because I want there to be one to grant my wishes!
Duh!

:)

Date: January 03, 2019 05:54PM

I think they are called prayers? YOU praying Hie? That would be pretty low.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 10:26PM

Not if he finds a magic bottle and out pops a genie that looks like Barbara Eden.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 01:05AM

Sorry, Hie, ya gotsa pay tithing to get them wishes dontchyaknow.

Date: January 04, 2019 04:05PM

Damn. There's always a catch...

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 03:41AM

God is in the fine print?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 04:48PM

God is like Kim Kardashian. lots of people know who she is, follow her moves, sing her praises, try to be like her, etc. She has the power that comes with money and fame, but she doesn't really do anything.

God is the Kim Kardashian of the universe and mormonism is his reality show.

Did God do a sex tape?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 06:24PM

Not exactly, but he likes to watch. That's why mormons consider their marriage a three way agreement between the couple and god.

And then there's that phallic junk in the Book of Abraham facsimiles...does that count?

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )

...simple. He's just sick of us.

Date: January 03, 2019 05:07PM

Time to cause a flood or something and then start over.

Because the demiurge's creation was fundamentally flawed.

Date: January 03, 2019 05:14PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Because the demiurge's creation was fundamentally
> flawed.

Mad in its own image.

Date: January 03, 2019 05:18PM

Exactly. A flawed world created by a flawed God.

Date: January 03, 2019 05:53PM

Who is crazy and jealous.

Date: January 03, 2019 05:16PM

Let's leave God out of this because things are much better when he doesn't do anything. Last thing I need right now is another plague of frogs and there are already enough people starving.

Besides, what people really want is a Fairy Godmother. They confuse the two a lot.

Date: January 03, 2019 05:55PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> Besides, what people really want is a Fairy
> Godmother.

Only if they care about fashion and not fascism.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 05:48PM

I always liked the Greeks with all their different gods with different agendas.

One god gave you a good harvest, and another one took it away.

Some great laughs and perspectives here, thanks especially Done and Hietokolob

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 03, 2019 09:26PM

You [we] are totally alone... and you won't know where you end up until you 'end up', but by then, you won't need to ask, and why would God have to show you he cared, and how would you know? What are the signs and would we follow them anyway? Should life be easier for everybody, or more fun or exciting, or beautiful?

M@t

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 12:47AM

People ask this question as though it were the most important question in life when their are literally a thousand things you could do and questions you could ask in a day, a year, or a lifetime that are more important to address.

When God comes down and gives proof of his omnipotence, or I figure out the important shit that has to do with my life or the people closest to me, I’ll start worrying about whether a maybe-existent God worries about me.

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: January 04, 2019 09:28PM

I'm done chasing after a god that doesn't want to be found.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 09:32AM

When I was a young kid, maybe 10?, I got an ant farm for my birthday. After a few weeks I received the ants in the mail and proceeded to "build my ant kingdom". I carefully assembled the farm itself from a snap-together kit, sifted the dirt into the little hole on top, and then carefully inserted each tiny ant into it's new home.

I watched my creation and over the course of many days my ants started digging tunnels and making themselves at home. It was amazing to watch them. They seemed to wander around a lot with no direction as to what to do.

I felt like I was their "god" and they were my "creation". I never at any time instructed them on how to dig, where to dig, or how deep. I simply watched them from afar. I controlled what they ate, and what their perimeters were.

A couple of times I would shake up their world and collapse all of their tunnels just to see what they would do. They would run around and appear to be very angry, but then they would start all over again and do what ants do.

I don't know, perhaps they thought that I was their god and they were constantly asking me things through the power of ant prayers. I never got any ant messages, and I never did anything for them except to drip in some sugar water once a week or so.

After a while I must have become bored with them and forgot about them. After all, I was a kid and what do kids know? I found this ant farm months later and all of the ants had died. I felt bad, and looked for some ants to replace them with.

Maybe, just maybe, the mormon god is a petulant little boy like I was and we are his ant farm. Why does he do nothing for us? Because he has become bored of us and is out playing with his other worlds. We should be happy that god doesn't have a magnifying glass on a sunny day. Oh, Jesus, maybe he does, remember the fires in California?

If Jesus is god's son, then god the Father must have a Father, and his Father must have a Father, etc. We all know that our father in heaven is moody and doesn't mind shaking up his world from time to time. We could ask him to stop, but he is god after all and god does what god does, if there even is a god

I dunno, just a thought.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 05, 2019 10:00AM

Heavenly father created everything in six days, and on the seventh day he rested. Daddy is still resting, people. Don't disturb him! Now go outside and play, and don't come back home until the street lights turn on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.