Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 03:50PM

This one's sorta off topic, sorta not. I've been going to a Unitarian Universalist church. I was very hesitant to go at first, afraid of the church concept. But they have a humanist group that meets after the main service, and that's why I first went. Im thinking of joining the church.
Anyway,today the speech, talk, sermon whatever was on the topic of gender, sex, and sexuality and how to talk about it. Was very interesting and I learned a lot. I came out of the meeting invigorated and feeling more open and smarter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 04:21PM

cftexan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Was very interesting and I
> learned a lot. I came out of the meeting
> invigorated and feeling more open and smarter.

Wait; isn't that the way it's always supposed to be?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 04:52PM

As opposed to the 800th lesson in your lifetime on the importance of repentance/fasting/going to the temple.....

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 05:15PM

TITHING TITHING TITHING TITHING TITHING......ETC.

Date: January 06, 2019 05:24PM

Yeah. It's so nice to actually have a huge variety of topics and not having a "to do" list.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 04:57PM

No one cared. They were happy for anyone who happened to show up and we paid donations like any responsible attendees would. No problem.

The only reason to join would be if it makes you feel good or if it's important to have your vote count on changes in policy.

Date: January 06, 2019 05:25PM

Cheryl, I kind of figured that. Its refreshing not having any kind of expectations.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 05:08PM

UU's are a great community. There is no focus on dogma, etc. Just being human and the human journey.

To call them a religion doesn't even quite fit

Date: January 06, 2019 05:27PM

It feels weird saying I'm going to "church"...

I've really been missing the community feel, and this seems like a greasy community. People there have been way nicer and friendlier than any mormon church I've been to.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 10:41AM

I have been attending a UU church for over a decade. It's my family of choice and it's a huge part of my life. However, I attended for 4 years before I formally became a member and only did that because I was asked to be on the search committee for our next minister. The only difference in becoming a member was that I could now vote on congregational issues, which I also felt was important if I was going to be a participating member. I do pledge every year, but have never felt pressure to pledge more than I want to, which is far less than 10% of even my take-home income. I'll throw a few bucks in the plate every week just to add a little extra and I donate to specific causes or activities that are going on.

I love the fact that the education level of the congregation as a whole is WAY above that of mormons and it shows. I like the focus on social justice and the projects we will take on as a group and I love that women are probably the backbone of the church and I have never heard a man complain about someone where the complaint had any kind of a sexist bent. I'm sure it happens, I just haven't heard it. We currently have an incredible woman minister and have had past board presidents and many committee chairs who are women.

Every UU church has its own feel. There is a much larger UU congregation in our city than the one I attend. Ours has more of a Humanist focus. The other one is a little more formal and more steeped in their traditions--less likely to try new things. And that's what's cool is that they are all different because the members are able to make it into what fits them. The UUA (General Association) provides some support, but no dogma and really not a lot of rules for every day congregational activity. I hope you find some good like-minded people there.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 05:42PM

I always thought I learned a lot at UU. Mine was in the South, and there were a lot of sermons about the history of civil rights, inclusiveness, and the like. They tend to be an educated lot. As someone with only a BA, I was toward the bottom of those with educations.

Be aware that if you formally join the congregation, they will immediately come to you for a pledge of so many dollars per year. Sort of like Mormons. Sort of like any major religion, I guess.

Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 05:52PM

Hmmmm -- "...a *greasy* community"? Imma assume that was a typo, although I am not sure of the original intent.

I love UU. It's a great place to find a community -- greasy or otherwise -- he he. The services have some intellectual meat, there are no dogmas, no rigid beliefs. I like just looking through the hymn book with its women's, Lesbian, and other cultures' poetry. There are many activities and groups you can join from Circle Suppers to political action committees.

Whether you decide to join or just go isn't really a big thing -- at least to them -- so really it's up to you. One of the things I like about UU is far from proselytizing or glomming on to you as a convert, they will question, even discourage you, from joining. THEY are the ones likely to point out you can just participate on whatever level.

I don't know if you are in Salt Lake, but if so they have Monica Dobbins as the Assistant Minister and she is doing classes in what it means to be a UU. I am not quite, I realize. True Unitarians believe everyone is good -- or maybe not quite that but something close -- and I have to admit I am not there. They are also much nicer people than I, I think.

Whatever you decide, enjoy! Unitarians would be the first to recommend that if you would rather spend your Sundays in a cafe or hiking, that is what you SHOULD be doing.

Date: January 06, 2019 06:11PM

The congregation I go to does seem to be very clean and not at all greasy. Haha. I really should spellcheck better.

I'm actually in Texas. Our congregation doesn't really have designated ministers,,but different members and sometimes other ministers from other congregations speak. Its similiar to mormons that way, so I like it

Posted by: bobt ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 08:58PM

The UU congregation I attended consisted of everything from Atheist to Zoroastrian. They referred to themselves as "The Island of Misfit Toys.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: January 06, 2019 09:08PM

Yeah, and usually in any city with a Humanist group that Humanist group will be meeting in the UU church.

By the way, Joseph Smith took some of his ideas from the Universalists, as back then Unitarians were a different sect from Universalists. Joseph Smith Sr agreed with most of the Universalist teachings and I think his favorable speech regarding Universalist teachings caused Joseph Smith Jr to adopt some of their ideas.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 05:49AM

I've been to several UU and similar organizations in the past and the problem with some of them is that in the absence of dogma or whatever you want to call it, having only a secular focus, is that often they end up in pointless political arguments and debates and it just becomes another debating club or else you get amateur sociological stuff that you already learned in college all over again.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 09:07AM

Political debate might not be your cup of tea, but...
If ideas are exchanged on all sides, is that really "pointless?"

Date: January 07, 2019 01:24PM

I wouldn't like that. One motto for UUs is "We don't have to think alike to love alike." Yet, some UU congregations tend to demean or shun those with differing political points of view.

I don't like to see a church selling political buttons or signs or organizing phone banks for political parties.

I all depends on the local leadership and the goals of the general population.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 09:13AM

From a 30+ year-old Ann Landers column:

"We stopped attending the Unitarian church because the only time we heard our savior's name spoken was when the janitor fell down the back steps."

Date: January 07, 2019 01:27PM

There are likely sermons about secular leaders and non-Christian church leaders than there are sermons mentioning Christians.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: January 07, 2019 02:42PM

I attended UU for awhile and liked it there. There was no religious dogma. No one even carries a bible there which I am fine with. I found they have some very entrenched political dogma though.

I love debate, which I prefer to couch in more congenial terms as "having a friendly dialogue". I like to emphasize the importance of keeping it friendly. I can't think of a better way to find out what survives the veracity test than to put information in front of people and allow it to be challenged. Many of the UU people were rather intolerant of hearing a point of view that differed from their own.

I research things quite thoroughly before expressing an opinion and though this may sound arrogant, I'm usually found to be correct when I can get people to look up my sources. The difficulty is getting them to do any real research of their own. I chalk it up to information/confirmation bias and intellectual laziness. It's kind of the same thing I face when dealing with closed minded tbm's.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.