Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 04:03PM

https://whisper.dailydot.com/ridiculous-white-kid-names-in-a-utah-school-yearbook/?fbclid=IwAR28lKNjduh_gbGZP7HJ4zDLAQL4JsBFddNf_Pcs-KOjxmROin9tQqxCdBs

Hope this hasn't been shared already - I didn't see it, anyway. This is spot-on and, in some cases, it's even worse than this. Crazy stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 04:34PM

This is unreal, but not in anyway surprising based on the names of neighbors' children when I lived in Utah County.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 05:37PM

Rhiannon is actually a well-established name, originating in Wales.

And for her to claim that for her parents to use the name is: "cultural appropriation" proves that Allison Czarnecki is so full of it that her eyes are brown.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 10:47AM

Yes, Rhiannon is a perfectly good Welsh name, and especially appropriate for those with Welsh ancestry. Back when Fleetwook Mac had their hit song, "Rhiannon," the name was quite popular. My niece has a similar Welsh name. It befuddled teachers when she was growing up, although you see it somewhat more often now.

Posted by: NeverMo Chris ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 12:56PM

I knew a set of twins: Rhiannon & Dylan, and, actually, their first names went with their last name,

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 06:20PM

At least the era of "La____" is over with.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 07:08PM

most of their names are on these lists.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 07:31PM

I'm naming my kid Korihor.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 08:49PM

Would Jesus be offended if you name a kid "Mormon?" :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 09:39PM

Latrina

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 12:43PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Latrina

Latrina Crapper? Daughter of Thomas Crapper - inventor of the Flush Toliet - maybe?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 10:06PM

One of my TBM great grandmothers was named Elvira before it became a cult classic.

:)

Date: January 14, 2019 06:41PM

I have always liked the name Elvira.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 05:46PM

Umm papa umm papa umm papa mow mow

Date: January 16, 2019 06:02PM

Mormons and American Blacks are running neck and neck in the stupid,name derby. Gone are. The days whe both groups used laMar la this la that . Now it's nonsese like Laquisha Shonquille Tamniqwea . mormons are absolutly addicted to cutesy names where There are never enough e and y letters in the name bryynleee , Cayysee Teemlee Can we please just get back to basic names like James (cool name ) David , Karen Susan or not

Date: January 16, 2019 06:12PM

And before some liberal tells me I'm in the Ku Klux Klan or some horrible bigot just look at the roster of any SEC football team and tell me I'm wrong

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 04:21AM

I once took a walk down the street with a neighbor. She kept complaining about dogs and their barking; she really seemed to hate them. When I asked about her apparent disdain, my neighbor protested repeatedly that she didn't dislike them at all. Then we passed a home in whose yard there was a dog barking loudly. My neighbor said, "See? That proves my point."

Of course it didn't. All it proved was that dogs bark.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 10:59AM

Oh my!

But then the hospital in Montana was interesting as they had an Indian reservation. I loved the last names. There was one who had a last name of "stillsmoking."

I've always sent the really odd names to my daughter and said, "Please don't name a child this."

But then my "ex's" name is his grandmother's maiden name and it IS NOT a normal name in the least.

My daughter is named a unique name that my ex made up, but there are many, many girls named that nowadays. A girl I work with who is about 6 years younger than my daughter is named the same name. A kid I babysitted when I was a teenager has a daughter named the same name as my daughter.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 10:04AM

When we were thinking over names for our son, I made up some lists of non-serious ideas just for the fun of it. One of the lists was called "Draper Sophisticated" full of names like these.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 10:37AM

Russell or Wendy now that they are the current Mo-royalty?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 10:38AM

I knew a set of Mormon twins. LeRon and DeRon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2019 10:39AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: January 15, 2019 10:47AM

My dad and one of his brothers were nicknamed Rusty and Dusty.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 12:44PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> I knew a set of Mormon twins. LeRon and DeRon.

Think I know their cousin. Day Doo Ron Ron?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 10:08AM

In these here parts we have way more creative names. The African-inspired names. I went to the high school graduation of my sort-of-claimed son, one of the few things I ever went to during his high school years where I wasn't the only white person there. I think there were at least 5 at graduation. They had about 400 graduates and reading the names on the program was such a kick.

It would open up a whole new world of baby names if they combined the Utah names with the Black names. All you have to do is add a "Sha" on the front or a "te" (pronounced Tay) or "ke" on the end. You could have LeRonte, DeRonte, Shatacie, Shakambree, Mayleeka, Makenta, Presleeka, you get the drift.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 01:46AM

I worked at Social Security when the series "Roots" was aired.

I processed at least one Social Security number application for a little boy named "Kunta Kinte," and two or three little girls named "Kizzy."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 01:01PM

Maybe...lol....these two boys were blond, Scandinavian looking carbon copies if each other. Dressed alike too...as 19 year olds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 04:53PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 11:02AM

The name that is probably the most popular is Jaxon. And every time I see it I want to correct the spelling on it. Of course that would be insensitive to the little snowflake.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 01:00PM

anono this week Wrote:
> The name that is probably the most popular is
> Jaxon. And every time I see it I want to correct
> the spelling on it. Of course that would be
> insensitive to the little snowflake.

I've seen it spelled "Jaxsen" too (shudder)--this was a NeverMo family's son.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 06:19PM

I think my wife got the name from the guy on the "Cat from Hell" show on TeeVee.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2019 11:05AM

Jaxon is one of them (I spell it Jaxson and I'm just now thinking I have it wrong--I give them things as they are great kids). Their last child is Jacob. But the others are interesting.

My other neighbors, the bishop right now, named their baby Nona. My best friend's name is Nona. She's in her 70s. She was shocked when I told her. Actually, my 2 best friends are Nona and Wyoma.

And my daughter, her name is actually Kiara, and she puts under her name on all name tags for work key-air-uh.

One of the reasons I don't post my ex's name is because he is so identifiable with his name, but I have before so I will. His name is Doney with a long "O." It should have been a warning. He was born on April 1st. There are a lot of Doneys in Franklin, Idaho, and I once found an obituary for a lady named Colleen Doney. My name is Colleen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2019 11:08AM by cl2.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 02:01PM

I have a distantly related niece whose husband is a high school ( or maybe junior college) basketball coach.

They named their son Hooper.

Jeeze, I can't think of a single word that rhymes with Hooper that might be used to taunt the poor kid.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 01:31PM

As a former teacher, I've seen/experienced some of the most odd and painful names to call a child.

Date: January 16, 2019 01:40PM

But one of my biggest name peeves is when mothers name their daughters after the father's name thereby giving her child some backwoods, old-timey, country or just plain stupid name to carry for life.
Yes, some male names have common female counterparts like: Daniel/Daniela or Dan/Dana
Frederick/Fredericka...etc
But if your husband's name is something like "Lloyd", please don't name your daughter "Lloyda" or "Lloyderia."
Good God! Just wait for a boy!

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 02:42PM

I just saw the name "Chesterine", a woman who was one of 12 kids. Guess they ran out of real names? Yes Rhiannon and Dylan are fine Welsh names. Ashlynn could be a variation on the Irish "Aislin".The others are all nuts, and those poor kids will be correcting the spelling for the rest of their lives. News flash: misspelling a name does not make it original.

Date: January 16, 2019 04:49PM

Speaking of Welsh names..
One of my brother's middle name was Llewellyn.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 05:33PM

I looked up the high school I dropped out of and found the name "Sequoia." I kind like that. Make like a tree.

http://contentdm.uvu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/Orembooks/id/33472

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 12:47PM

Sequoia's not half bad. Smacks of hope for bringing height into the family tree!

Rhymes with VOYA, like one of my mutual fund names. There could be a run on financial names like Vanguard, Franklin Templeton, CREF, Fidelity, Invesco, Baird, BlackRock, etc. This would be more in line with the true mission of LDS,Inc.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 16, 2019 05:38PM

We named our first girl Tanni, which was of amerindian / First Nations origin.

we also named a girl Ariane...

go figure.

Date: January 17, 2019 03:43AM

What do ya'll think of Quinlyn? Boy or Girl?

Date: January 18, 2019 06:06AM

Quinlyn sounds more like a boy's name than a girl's to me. But after reading this thread, it could be a girl's name (in Utah at least.)

Date: January 19, 2019 09:35PM

I told my niece that the only Quin's I'd ever met were men. I think that's why she tacked -lyn on the end of it to make it more famine. I'll be interested in knowing what her daughter thinks of her name when she becomes older. Everyone calls her Quin for short. It's not too bad without the -lyn but still easy to mistake for a boy.

Date: January 17, 2019 04:01AM

These are not popular Mormon names. They are popular Utah Mormon names. :o))

Date: January 17, 2019 04:15PM

Good catch, Matt. That's what I meant.

Date: January 17, 2019 04:16PM

Good catch. That's what I meant.

Date: January 17, 2019 01:51PM

Years ago we naughty folks on RFM made up a list of pseudo Utah Mormon names.

Did anyone make a copy of that list?

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 04:22PM

Being from the south, the comments about many of those names being the same as those used by African - American's is absolutely right on.

Funny thing is half those Mormons would be racist and would hate such a connection, but are so ignorant they don't even realize it.

Many of the other names probably sound just like normal. Unfortunately it appears that it shows that Mormons can't spell.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: January 17, 2019 05:13PM

When I first moved to Morocco I used to think Arabic names were all so much alike. Hakim, Karim, Yassine, Bashir, Adil, Hafid, Rafik and so on.

But after reading Saydee, Haleigh, Taycie, Macady, Maycee, Laycee, Macee, Kayleigh, Bayli, Kaydee, Kacey, Aimsley, Paizley, Maecy, Kambri, Cambrie, Bayleigh, Swayzie and Cambry, I really feel like walking up to a crowd of random teens and shout "AYHEE, I'm here. AYHEE, it's me."

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 06:01AM

My daughter married a Mormon--a great guy, and handsome, so who could blame her. They named their first baby "Eliot" which was a fairly normal name, except she is a girl. Her friends (girls) are Madison, Madison W., Stanley (they wanted a boy), Taylor, Riley, Max, Miller. It's cool to name girls boy's names.

It's cool in Utah to use last names for first names: Smith, Jensen, Owens (with the "s") Griff, Anderson, Wilcox, Sterling. Often it's the mother's maiden name, like Blake, who is a girl.

Weird spellings are favorites, because it gets more attention, when the child and parents, struggle with new teachers, new institutions, new friends, for an entire lifetime. Zoei, Diem, Bayleigh, La Prele (two words, and the last pronounced "Preel"), Renée, Frederic (pronounced "freedrick", Kaye (with an "e")

Why create problems for your kids?

My favorite Utah Mormon names: Ole Holmol, Murina Poole, Dee Pentz.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 11:25AM

My wife's aunt's name is La Prele. She is in her 80s.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 08:15AM

How 'bout ABCDE? Not mo, but still...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=abcde&view=detail&mid=4E67CA3068BE942EF51D4E67CA3068BE942EF51D&FORM=VIRE

Oh dear, her name was made fun of by airline personnel...

Who the hell names their kid ABCDE?

Really?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 10:45AM

I worked in the COB's historical department and we would receive present day records as well as historical records. I saw twin's names of "Pete, and Repete". There was also a "Deseret Bee".

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 10:59PM

The Utah baby namer

http://wesclark.com/ubn/

Posted by: Goofball ( )
Date: January 21, 2019 11:39AM

This is what happens when you have a community full of teen and twenty-something parents with low education. They fear the only thing their children will own will be their names— better make ‘em special.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.