Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 12:26PM

Color me impressed. Also, why isn't this revelation from a "prophet?" Are people just supposed to know this stuff as believers?

I like the idea that the Mormon god isn't "worship-worthy" because of The Great Apostacy.

"All of this is to reconcile the reality of the Apostasy with the Islamic idea that for God, or Allah, to be “worship-worthy,” he cannot have neglected humanity as seems to have been the case during the Apostasy. With the Three Nephites present and doing hidden but real work, the Mormon belief in the Apostasy and the Islamic belief in what constitutes the divine can be reconciled. Hatem’s inclination to resolve such disparate traditions in the first place is what makes this book so engaging and valuable."
https://byustudies.byu.edu/content/postponing-heaven-three-nephites-bodhisattva-and-mahdi

I remember being taught about "The Great Apostacy" and thinking how cruel God was.

But I guess in flies the superhero Three Nephites to save those dark days!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 12:31PM

I feel like the 3 Nephites are the quintessential Mormons:

1) They have been unable to save enough money for 2,000 years to buy a car cash so they do not have to constantly hitch-hike and bum rides from members.

2) They spread conspiracies and faith promoting stories.

3) When it comes time to prove anything, they disappear.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 12:54PM

Those three were really good for entrepreneurial Mormons who were selling food storage back in the 1970's.

Date: January 18, 2019 02:16PM

"Mable Firstap was driving between Ohio and Pennsylvania when she spotted three clean-cut men walking on the side of the road.
“They just had a glow about them, so I didn’t mind stopping to see if they needed help,” said Firstap. “When I did, I saw that they were each carrying a Book of Mormon.”
Firstap told them that she was LDS. “They told me that I needed to get my food storage in order. Then they actually vanished! I couldn’t believe it!” "
http://www.ldsliving.com/3-Nephites-Spotted-on-I-80/s/60890

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 01:17PM

BYU should film an adventure series of the Three Nephites interacting with modern Mormons. Kind of like “Kung Fu” but with a gospel message. Too bad the church has become too culty for that.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 01:36PM

great business idea for the drama department!!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 01:43PM

Didn't that already run as the Three Stooges? Those guys were a hoot. Larry, Curly, and Moe would make a great trio as the three Nephites.

They were even ALL Jewish!

Date: January 18, 2019 02:17PM

If you are interested in hearing from the guy who revealed the real importance of these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYjcnZcP3kA

Date: January 18, 2019 04:02PM

Interesting review.

2 things.

1. Of the religions mentioned Twelver Shi'ism and Buddhism actually have these "never dying" elements in a much higher regard than the 3 Nephites.

2. The 3 Nephites save people's cars more than people's souls.

https://www.amazon.com/Postponing-Heaven-Nephites-Bodhisattva-Groundwork/product-reviews/0842528679/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

The 3 Nephites are not on the same level. And this says so much about Mormonism. Despite a Mormon History of magic, mysticism, speaking in tongues, seeing angelic creatures, and talking to the creator of the world Modern Mormonism is quite bland, abusive, and somewhat devoid of mysticism.

I think Mormonism only makes an appearance here because it such an anomaly in Christianity and because it is an "American" religion. If it weren't and was still a backwoods Utah abomination that it was at the turn of the 20th Century this comparative religious philosopher wouldn't have included it.

Posted by: GNPE! ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 04:57PM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

The FP has again broken New Ground!!

Carefully Considering 'Ethnic Sensitivity', the name of the 3 Nephites has been (wait for it!) UPDATED!

under consideration were:

3 Stooges

3 Fugitives

3 Amigos...

As a veiled welcome to Hispanics, the New Name is:

The Three Amigos!

no word yet as to whether or not this change was 'by inspiration' or 'by revelation'.

Date: January 18, 2019 05:12PM

I hope they have access to a singing bush.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: January 18, 2019 09:56PM

"All of this is to reconcile the reality of the Apostasy with the Islamic idea that for God, or Allah, to be “worship-worthy,” he cannot have neglected humanity as seems to have been the case during the Apostasy. With the Three Nephites present and doing hidden but real work, the Mormon belief in the Apostasy and the Islamic belief in what constitutes the divine can be reconciled. Hatem’s inclination to resolve such disparate traditions in the first place is what makes this book so engaging and valuable."

Alternate synopsis: Man reconciles imaginary story with another imaginary story using tortuous logic and big words.

Date: January 21, 2019 11:10AM

Anziano Young Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alternate synopsis: Man reconciles imaginary story
> with another imaginary story using tortuous logic
> and big words.

LOL! I love tortuous logic and big words in a Mormon context. So much of The Book of Mormon is simplistic melodrama and 19th Century revivalist preaching.

Date: January 21, 2019 02:25PM

Thanks!

Interestingly LDS Corp has killed them regardless of their eternal potential to keep producing stories.

"Therefore, many of the stories people hear about the Three Nephites are probably untrue. Also explain that the phrase "ye shall never endure the pains of death" (verse 8) is often misunderstood to mean that the Three Nephites would never die. As Paul taught, "in Adam all die" (1 Corinthians 15:22). This refers to everyone, including translated beings. However, translated beings pass through death very quickly and then become resurrected beings."
https://www.lds.org/manual/book-of-mormon-teacher-manual/chapter-46-3-nephi-27-30

Posted by: bob11 ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 08:59AM

This is an interesting note and actually makes sense (in a Mormon madness sort of way). However, are there OFFICIAL statements or acknowledgements from prophets or apostles reiterating the "conventional" storyline that they still walk the earth today...Or was it TRULY member folklore?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.