Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 04:27PM

once you hit 60 in the mormon church they no longer care about you.

https://faenrandir.github.io/a_careful_examination/documents/faith_crisis_study/Faith_Crisis_Report_R24B.pdf

according to the faith crisis report only 5 percent of people over 60 ever leave the church. it must be like a quasi marriage, you just figure its to late to change and no one would care if you left anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 04:39PM

I noticed that in the last ward I lived in.

Older people were overlooked and bypassed. They were marginalized.

Where I worship now the older people are treated with dignity and respect. Many live well into their 80s, 90s, we had a doctor live well over 100. They're treated the way you'd want to treat your own parent or grandparent.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 06:29PM

I’m sure this isn’t the reason that older people are marginalized, but it does benefit TSCC to push aside people who can remember uncomfortable things like:

Racism was doctrine and the will of god, not simply a misguided “policy.”

All indigenous people in the Americas (and many other places) were Lamanites.

The BoM was translated (not revealed through a treasure seeking peep stone).

The BoA was translated from papyrus that was written by Abraham’s own hand.

The 1838 version of the first vision was the only version.

I could go on and on, but I bet they are glad that some people in my generation are starting to lose their memories.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 06:42PM

Some of you may think this is heartless but I just got to tell it the way it is when you learn to think like the Correlation program teaches us to do. All you people who think the gospel is about compassion and caring tend to forget the First Law of Heaven - obedience to the holy middlemen who lead/guide the Wards/Stakes under the direction of the mighty super holy prophets, seers, and revelators in SLC. The problem with old people over age 60 is that they just aren't working as hard and some of them have problems respecting authority. For example, look at how slowly some of the old folks scrub toilets. Heavenly Father needs them to scrub faster so they can spend more time on other things like temple sessions, getting all 100+ generations of names submitted for temple work, getting all their grandkids more assimilated, and more. Another problem with old people is that they tend to need more compassionate service which drains resources needed to get more people converted, more people re-activated, and more lives assimilated into our wondrous Kingdom. And perhaps the biggest problem is that their future life income just isn't going to bring in much tithing. Poor Heavenly Father focuses very heavily on maximizing tithing and its a waste of time for the Bishops and Stake Presidents to think much about these old people. Heavenly Father wants his latter-day profits to be strong. Thus the focus on those among the Youth who will maximize tithing revenues seems to be the sacred agenda.

Oh yes they have a hard time with respecting authority. Look at how the senior sisters don't fully respect the 11 year old boys who, according to our beloved peculiar doctrines, have more power than any King, Emperor, or President in world history now that they are mighty Deacons. How often do you see these sisters kissing up to these mighty powerful boys?

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 12:00PM

.....^......an excellent assessment. Please continue w/future narratives!

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 05:36PM

ConcernedCitizen 2.0 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....^......an excellent assessment. Please
> continue w/future narratives!

AMEN.

Date: January 25, 2019 05:48PM

The only assessment I have the skills to do is to OBEY the wondrously beloved Brethren and their holy middlemen who lead the Wards/Stakes. Anything beyond that is out of scope thanks to this special Holy Ghost Gift that I've been taught by the sacred Correlation program is a protective bubble over me to make sure I'm a good sheep in following these beloved shepherds.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 07:13PM

Thanks for the link.Very interesting paper. Way too much repetition but just the fact that time was taken to produce this information says plenty. Good paper for Mormons to read. Not much new for Exmo's.

What stood out was the constant use of the verb correlate.

The article makes it clear that the word from the leaders does not correlate with fact, history, or truth, but rather the word from the leaders correlates with their need to control despite the facts and truth.

The way the Mormons use the word correlation is more in line with two cons making sure they get their stories straight and in sync before talking to the cops. The lack of candor from the leaders, their inability to address the issues, is a strategy to not trip each other up. If no one says anything then no one can be contradicted. They thought "less is more" strategy would work. It is not.

What also jars is the constant use of the term "Faith Crisis." The word "crisis" is intended to infer having one as a negative. In fact, it is not a crisis but an awakening, a rectification, a discovery of fact. These are positives and should not be decorated with the word "crisis." Faith exploration is more like it.

As far as being over sixty--it is very hard to turn your back on a life-time investment. Hard to admit you have been duped and feel you have no real future when you feel you have no time to start over? So "throwing good money after bad," as the saying goes, seems to be a good option. Or is that "throwing good tithing after bad?"

Date: January 23, 2019 06:49PM

Isn't the definition of fact/truth whatever comes out of the mouth of our wondrously beloved holy Brethren? Thank heavens the Church's Correlation program has groomed me (and many others) to not worry about deep thinking but just worry about deeply obeying the glorious leaders. That way I'm always thinking "truth = words of Brethren" and thus when I'm faced with any information sources I'm reminded how to peculiarly filter and process all information. Isn't it glorious how so super honest and transparent this marvelous Correlation program makes us?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 01:42PM

Honest TB[long] Wrote:
> Isn't it glorious how so super
> honest and transparent this marvelous Correlation
> program makes us?

It is fairly see-through, clear, translucent, pellucid, and crystal clear that it doesn't give a curelom (/kʊəˈriːləm/) and the cumom (/ˈkuːməm/) shiz about 60+ year old members and this from a ruling body with a median age well over 60.

trans·par·ent
/transˈperənt/
adjective
adjective: transparent
(of a material or article) allowing light to pass through so that objects behind can be distinctly seen.
"transparent blue water"
synonyms:
see-through, clear, translucent, pellucid, crystal clear, crystalline, limpid, glassy, glasslike, liquid; More
unclouded, uncloudy;
raretranspicuous
"a transparent plastic film"
antonyms:
opaque, cloudy
easy to perceive or detect.
"the residents will see through any transparent attempt to buy their votes"
synonyms:
obvious, explicit, unambiguous, unequivocal, clear, lucid, straightforward, plain, (as) plain as the nose on your face, apparent, unmistakable, manifest, conspicuous, patent, indisputable, self-evident; raretranspicuous
"the symbolism of this myth is transparent"
antonyms:
obscure, ambiguous
having thoughts, feelings, or motives that are easily perceived.
"you'd be no good at poker—you're too transparent"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 01:42PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 07:28PM

Absolutely, CrispingPin!

Gaslighting doesn't seem to work on older people. They've lived long enough to know all the old tricks.

I agree, laughing in Provo (I love your moniker!) that a lot of older Mormons figure it's too late to change. They are too tired to face all the Mormon punishment meted out to those who leave. They don't want to risk being shunned by life-long friends. They cave under the threat of having their grandchildren removed from their presence. I have known a lot of older people who left, and had all these terrible things happen. (Except, none of them were ever cursed by God, and they seem to be doing fine in their increase in (fixed) income and in their enjoyment of happy Sundays.)

IMO, only the poorer old Mormons are marginalized. The older people with money, and rushed and manipulated into going on senior couples missions. Single old Mormons are pushed into going on "service" missions. A widow friend was called to "manage the mission home" as sort of a housekeeper. There are computer-oriented missions, for older seniors who's health won't allow them to travel. Just try to get out of it, old people!

My parents were invaded by representatives of BYU, wearing down my parents until late at night, when my father was dying of cancer, demanding that they "remember BYU in the Will."

My 76-year-old widow TBM neighbor has a bad back, and she hires a cleaning service to clean their own house regularly--but she always takes her turn at cleaning the church building.

My brother had 3 callings when he died. He was very faithful, all his life, and he said, "I've been retired for 12 years. Can't I retire from the church, too?" He and his wife wanted to travel, to go see their grandchildren, but were held back by their Sunday callings.

Mormonism holds up its big 15 top executives as an example of giving your all and enduring to the end. However, the everyday older Mormons don't have someone to dress them and take care of their hair and clothes, and drive them places, and travel first-class right along with them on all their trips, and pack their suitcases, and make sure everything is made ready for their comfort and safety. Old Mormons don't have other people to write their talks for them, and ghost-write articles. My close relative was a GA, and I know what goes on. The GA's get free groceries delivered to them, my relative had a live-in cleaning lady, married to the live-in gardener, and a cook. The GA's children took care of their boats and cabins, and other shopping for them. Money can buy a lot of help, and ease your existence.

The GA's were just another impossible, fake, example that Mormons set up.

The Mormon cult has no qualms about using-and-abusing the elderly. Paying tithing on their Social Security, for which they already paid tithing when they earned it, as their gross income, makes no sense. (Actually, giving money to a rich corporation makes no sense) Neither does paying tithing on inheritances, when the benefactors already paid tithing on the earned money, but Mormons will grab all they can take, even to the end.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 10:05PM

exminion Wrote:
> They are too tired to face all the promised
> Mormon punishment to be meted out to those who leave.

And all that "outer darkness" crap.

You Mormon apostates must kneel and thank God you were not born a jew in sw Ukraine. Read what a certain Brafmann writes on what apostate Jews can expect to discover in their afterlife:

"The Kherem, or great excommunication, is the last resort and most terrible weapon which the Kahal and Beth-din always keep in reserve to quell incipient rebellion or punish actual disobedience.

Brafmann gives the entire form. There is something appalling in the virulence and malignancy of the curses launched upon the offender's head, and it is not astonishing that even liberal-minded Jews should often have faltered and been daunted before its tremendous vehemence.

A general malediction is first pronounced in the name of God and all the celestial powers; then a special one for every month of the year, in this form: "If he is born in the month of Nisan, which is ruled by the Archangel Uriel, may he be accursed of that archangel and his angels..."

and so forth, till one could puke.

And on them rabbis go..."May the Lord's calamity hasten to overtake him; God, the Creator! Break him! Bend him! May fiends encounter him! Be he accursed wherever he stands! May his spirit depart suddenly, may an unclean death seize him, and may he not end the month! May the Lord visit him with consumption, brain-fever, inflammation, insanity, ulcers, and jaundice!

May he pierce his breast with his own sword, and may his arrows be broken! May he be as chaff which the wind drives before it, and may the Angel of God pursue him! *** May his path be beset with dangers, covered with darkness! *** May he encounter direst despair, and may he fall into the net spread for his feet by God!

May he be driven out of the realm of light into the realm of darkness, and cast out of the world! Misfortunes and sorrows shall fright him. He shall behold with his eyes the blows that shall fall on him. He shall be sated with the wrath of the Almighty. He shall be clothed with curses as with a garment. And God shall give no forgiveness to this man, but pour curses shall enter into him that are written in the Law. *** "

And as though this were not yet explicit enough, the denunciation is further completed in the circular addressed to "the wise men and elders of the nation," to notify them that a son of Israel has been cast into the outer darkness. After the introductory greeting and the enumeration of the offenses of the accused person, the kahal continues:

"Therefore, we have laid the kherem on him. Do you so likewise, daily. Proclaim publicly that his bread is the bread of a Gentile; that his wine is the wine of idolatry; that his vegetables are impure, and his books even as the books of magicians.

*** Ye shall not eat with him, nor drink with him; ye shall not perform the rite of circumcision on his son, and ye shall not teach his children the law, nor bury his dead, nor receive him into any corporations; the cup that he has drunk from ye shall wash, and in every respect ye shall treat him as a Gentile."

Damn! You Mormon backslidin' geezers really got an easy pass!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 12:51PM

Yes. This is all good to think of.

Especially, some states exempt Social Security from State Taxes, not Utah, and then to require tithing on top of it!!!

"Mormons will grab all they can take, even to the end."

Yep. Greed endures to the end.

Thanks for some great insights here!!!

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 08:29PM

Remembering how my mom complained that the ward ignored them once they "no longer paid tithing." The folks got far more than they put into Social Security, but they didn't feel obligated to tithe on it.

Thinking about how much money they spent on relatives in need, on ward functions, and how my mom worked for the church for what? nearly 15 years at close to slave wages, they came out full tithe payers, I am sure.

I'm also pretty sure (in my dad's case positive) that by the time they died they knew it was all a bunch of malarky.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 24, 2019 10:52PM

laughing in provo Wrote:
> once you hit 60 in the mormon church they no longer care about you.
>

What makes you so sure they do at any age? It's not like anything changes.

> .. you just figure its to late to change and no one would care if you left anyway. >

It's never too late to change (your clothes, anyway) and the person caring most is the one leaving. Who cares about the rest?

M@t

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 12:30AM

My 92 year old mom in a nursing home has a faithful Visiting Teacher/Minister? who comes fairly faithfully each month. When she comes she seldom stays to talk but always delivers flowers without any note as to who left them. Trouble is my mother cannot see any more and doesn't even know the VT was ever there let alone left flowers. I'm very allergic to the flowers so they almost immediately end up in the the trash. I've told the VT this situation and she continues to dump flowers in Mom's room each month. I guess this passes as ministering.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 04:48PM

Once you hit 60 in the mormon church I'm surprised you can still believe in it.

God doesn't change but his policies and church programs have. All were inspired too.

God is supposed to make the best system the first time. I guess he missed the memo from his God.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 07:21PM

Kind of poetic.

The first decade of adult life, trying to establish yourself as an adult, the 20's, is quite difficult.

Let me give HUGE KUDOS to the people who leave at or before the onset of adult livin!!!!!!

Having THE (MORmON) church riding along on a person's back while trying to establish themselves in adult living makes the deal much more difficult. But THE (MORmON) Church never lets up on their demands. Trying to cope with paying tithing while trying to get an education???? PURE INSANITY for any person of normal means!!!!! .....but the MORmON church never lets up with its heavy duty demands !!!

Any person with any sense should quit then. well, except for the designate beneficiary cases -those who are selected to be on track to reap huge benefits by supporting the MORmON scam, everybody else who is still in is just paying the way for those parasites. If the first decade of that kind of CRAP is not enough, then the second decade is pretty much more of the same, another chapter with the same theme. A person SHOULD be catching on after a while. I recall seeing studies that indicated that the thirties are prime to leave for the people who are going to leave.

Another especially critical juncture is when a person's faithFOOL TBM parents pass away. That means a person no longer has to be concerned with disappointing the people who raised them, because those people are deceased. It is the elimination of a huge psychological and emotional anchor. After that, IF a person has not quit then they probably are not going to.

By the time a person is 60, they have had plenty of time to wise up. If they can not "move on" by then, then they FOOLY deserve what ever abuse that comes from the blood sucking and soul sucking, life robbing MORmON cult.

as in: JFC!! wise up!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkTZzBTCyA

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.