Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 12:25PM

Here are the steps that led me away from the only true and living church on the face of the earth.

1) I was offended. I allowed a simple thoughtless (or perhaps misunderstood) word or action to be a roadblock on my path to eternal life in the Celestial Kingdom.
2) Next, I realized how much time, effort, dedication, and money is required to live the Lord’s plan of happiness on this earth. I had to admit to myself that I was too lazy to follow the gospel path.
3) Then, I wanted to sin. I saw my friends who didn’t obey the Word of Wisdom, some of whom had a slightly relaxed attitude towards chastity, and they seemed very happy. I desired worldly pleasures more than the treasures of heaven.
4) I then needed a way to justify my new lifestyle to myself and others, so I searched for the very worst that the internet had to offer. I allowed the fact that Brother Joseph had a few minor imperfections to convince myself that he wasn’t a true prophet of God. I found a few insignificant facts about history and doctrine that could be twisted into evidence against the church.
5) Finally, I opened my heart to Satan, the father of lies, and invited him to be my master.

Either that, or I realized it was all a huge pile of bullshit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 12:51PM

I really don't know how people manage to stay in the church.

It's so toxic at every level and aspect. Pressure to conform, lie, gossip, steal, back-stab, back-bite, threaten, intimidate, humiliate, shun, spurn, belittle, hate...I probably missed some.

Everything that is supposed to evident in a good organization is missing in TSCC.

Posted by: anonandanon ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 12:52PM

Yes, all that. AND I was too cowardly to pay a full tithe. I wanted my wife to have a winter coat, my children to have new shoes, and made sure my mortgage was paid BEFORE I paid tithing. Seems that if I'd had more faith, blessings from heaven would have insured my family was clothed and we would have a roof over our heads but I was weak and faithless.

Or, possibly, I was simply a responsible husband and father who put my family ahead of the corporation.

You decide.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 01:00PM

Posted by: forester ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 02:09PM

I left because I didn't doubt my doubts.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 02:15PM

I'm assuming one of them wasn't, "I doubt I'm doing the right thing by leaving the church?"

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 02:59PM

I watched a documentary on Jim and Tammy Bakker, 1980's christian broadcast stars, and their key phrase was 'the more you give, the more blessings you will receive!"

Boy did that sound familiar!!!!!

I also wonder why seemingly smart and rational people are there, and decided it is just out of habit.

Posted by: darla ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 06:49PM

Hey there crisping pin,

it was all a huge pile of bullshit.

No, that's not right, it IS a hugh pile of bullshit.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 07:29PM

The “eternal” gospel never changes. ;)

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 12:59PM

I was afraid “Families Are Forever” might end up being true. The short time I lived with that bunch of nuts on earth was PLENTY long enough.

Date: January 26, 2019 05:09PM

pugsly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was afraid “Families Are Forever” might end
> up being true. The short time I lived with that
> bunch of nuts on earth was PLENTY long enough.

Hahah, Pugsly, yes, me too!

I asked that a couple times--what if you didn't get along with your family and don't want to be with them forever?

Obviously I never received any answer.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 07:18PM

With my crappy family, one minute felt like eternity.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 02:22PM

Now you've lost the chance to go to The Temple™, basically a cross between an odd but expensive theater, followed by a brief visit to a somewhat old fashioned high end hotel lobby, except you don't get to stay overnight, or even linger during the day, nor do you get a free breakfast.

And that's not counting the outfit required for this visit.

Such a deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2019 02:23PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: January 26, 2019 05:10PM

Yes, agree.

And for the cost of tithing, a VERY nice high-end hotel could be stayed in, and it could be in a really nice country with lots of sights and museums to visit, and you could wear what you wanted, and whoever you wanted, could come with you.

:)

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 08:04PM

I left because I was just too lazy, instead I spend my Sundays working my Ass off, in a not so wonderful job.

I left because I heard enough bragfesting about everyone's families and spouses in sacrament meeting, and celebrated everyone elses accomplishments for too many years while I was alone. There comes a point when it's just too much to take.

Mormondom sucks!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.