Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 03:31PM

From a talk at BYU last year. One of the RS prez genius.

A sure way to motivate the youth is do force them to choose between two very different animals (and tell them that only one is the correct choice). She quoted this from yet another church leader.

Let us take the eagle, for example. This bird works as hard and as efficiently as any other animal in doing its daily work. It provides for itself and its young by the sweat of its brow, so to speak; but when its daily work is over and the eagle has time of its own to do just as it pleases, note how it spends its recreational moments. It flies to the highest realms of heaven, spreads its wings, and bathes in the upper air, for it loves the pure, clean atmosphere, and the lofty heights.

“On the other hand, let us consider the hog. This animal grunts and grubs and provides for its young just as well as the eagle; but, when its working hours are over and it has [some] recreational moments, observe where it goes and what it does. The hog will seek out the muddiest hole in the pasture and will roll and soak itself in filth, for this is the thing it loves. People are either hogs or eagles in their leisure time.”

I like bacon so that makes me a pig. ha-ha

There's many more gems in this talk, but it's like a huge train wreck. Hard to focus on one when every car has left the track.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 03:55PM

The eagle and the pig each do different things that make them feel happy and fulfilled. Each method works with who they are, how they are built, how they survive, etc.

In mormonism, there is only one way to feel happy and fulfilled, and the church will tell you which way that is.

Interesting that they make the jump to flying is good, laying in mud is bad, as if the human condition applied to those animals, and as if one activity was better or worse than the other. Its like saying oranges are better than apples because Eve ate the apple.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 05:17PM

The eagles spend a lot of time just sitting in their nest, sleeping, maybe rearranging a few sticks in nest, pooping over the side, etc. Google Decorah Eagles Cam for example.

Maybe they do some "pleasure flying" but they're probably hunting, protecting their nesting area or migrating while flying.

And the hogs wallow in mud because it helps keep them cool and offers a bit of protection from parasites.

Bottom line these "faith promoting" stories are overly simplistic view of nature and are just stories.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 05:34PM

Spot on.
And not just "stories" -- flat-out lies.

Have you seen the bigger piggies, in their starched white shirts?
You will find the bigger piggies, stirring up the dirt.
Always have clean shirts...to play around in!

(The Beatles)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 04:44AM

Date: January 31, 2019 12:09PM

I live on a large creek that flows from a lake about a quarter mile away. There's a mated pair of eagles nearby and they fly up and down the creek, and perch in a few places to fish. I enjoy watching them. Feb - Apr is when they are most active, been seeing them the last couple days.

My neighbor across the street has a couple pigs. I collect our food scraps and take them over and feed them. I enjoy seeing them laying around in the dirt/ mud, then getting excited when I show up with food, and rooting around making noises while they eat.

Why would I think one animal was better, had higher standing, was closer to god, etc., than the other? I don't believe in god, and I'm not racist. Religious people using animals as examples of righteousness or unrighteousness discounts their god creating things equal or god loving all his creations, and its nothing but a projection of their own racism in my opinion......no surprise though.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 04:09PM

in b 4 ~ eagle tastes like chicken ~

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 04:20PM

Mormonism - making pigs think they fly like the eagles since 1830.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 08:18AM

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 04:21PM

Eagles and hogs do what they do because they evolved in those niches. They both enjoy what they do.

What about Mormons? They spend their "leisure time" doing things they don't like, such as going to boring meetings and temple sessions, ministering, scripture reading, so *many* prayers and then Saturdays up to their elbows in the chapel toilets.

A Mormon may say that they actually enjoy that stuff, but if that were true, the leadership wouldn't have to constantly bug the membership to do all of those things.

I'd say that both hogs and eagles are happier and more fulfilled than Mormons. Probably more productive, too.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 04:25PM

Gee, messy. I thought you were going to introduce to a couple of new animals in Chinese astrology.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 05:08PM

Rich people pay good money for mud baths.
I've seen plenty of pigs flying on Southwest.
Eagles will swoop down and take a beloved pet
and rip it to shreds.

I think I'll stick with being an old goat laughing at Mormons and their desperate grasping-at--straws analogies.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 05:40PM

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." (Attributed to Einstein; authenticity in doubt.)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 05:41PM

Pigs are highly intelligent for farm animals.

Some are domesticated as pets.

Comparing the eagle to a hog as an analogy to people, me thinks the RS prez needs to have her head examined.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 11:34AM

For all we know, hogs and eagles don't enjoy anything. They do what they do because there is an evolutionary advantage to it. Enjoyment is a human concept/emotion. Let's not try to identify human emotions in nonhumans.

Date: January 31, 2019 11:41AM

I dunno about that. It must be a feeling of exhileration to be able to fly like an eagle.

Likewise, I can't begin to imagine the sheer joy of rolling in the mud if I were a hog. And then sunbathing to dry off in.

;-)

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 12:18PM

I understand, and halfway agree. As a kid, I was no stranger to mud - the muddier, the better. But, with my fear of heights, if I were flying like an eagle, exhilaration wouldn't be the term I would describe the sensation.

;-)

Date: January 31, 2019 12:25PM

I'd like to try mud wrestling...

Date: January 31, 2019 12:56PM

>> "I dunno about that. It must be a feeling of exhilaration to be able to fly like an eagle."

For all we know, flying for an eagle is as exhilarating as humans driving to work or grocery shopping.

>> "Likewise, I can't begin to imagine the sheer joy of rolling in the mud if I were a hog. And then sunbathing to dry off in."

A pigs sheer joy could be as much as ours when we put on sunscreen and drip sweat on a hot beach.

:)

Date: January 31, 2019 12:59PM

I have yet to hear a human squeal with delight like I have a pig.

:D

Date: January 31, 2019 02:50PM

Maybe the mud is just cold?

Date: January 31, 2019 01:04PM

Difference between eagles and humans is they are free to soar anywhere they like without a schedule. They are homers though and devoted to family. People drive around in cars in states of high anxiety typically rushing to get somewhere. Eagles take their time. They're beholden to no one.

They are very protective of their baby eaglets though. :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 10:21AM

fossilman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For all we know, hogs and eagles don't enjoy anything. They do what they do because there is an evolutionary advantage to it. Enjoyment is a human concept/emotion. Let's not try to identify human emotions in nonhumans.

My cat enjoys playing games. His favorite game is when I put a bedsheet loosely over him and poke at him through the sheet with my finger. He enjoys that game so much that he will hiss at me when I decree that the game is over. He also likes to be carried on my shoulder like a baby. He will start purring loudly the minute I pick him up. He likes to be up high to get a ride and see a new point of view. Cats will let you know when they are enjoying things with their purr.

Our family dog, now long gone, was acquired on a family member's ranch out in California. She grew up with her mother and father dog, and her brothers and sisters, freely roaming the ranch, swimming in the lake, and rolling in the dust afterward. You never saw such a happy, carefree pack in your life. Being mostly retriever, our dog loved nothing better than chasing after sticks and balls. If there was a fountain, pond, or any body of water nearby, she would head off to take a dip. She loved the water. Dogs let you know when they are happy by wagging their tales and looking visibly excited.

When I observe a fox who lives in my back woods, he seems so happy and carefree. He sits in the sun and romps and plays.

I do think that animals, both tame and wild, are capable of happiness and enjoyment. We are animals, too! We are not alone in seeking happiness.

Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 12:39PM

What is it about Mormon leadership always wanting to attack the sheepies spare time? It's not enough to take almost all of their recreational time, but they want it ALL? Whatever a Mormon does in what little recreational/leisure time that is left over after Mormonism - is scrutinized, critiqued, and guilted by the Mormon leadership. Unbelievable.

Date: January 31, 2019 12:42PM

Mormons...

Fly like an eagle and eat like hogs...

Soda keeps on sippin', sippin', sippin'
Into my bosom
Into my bosom
I wanna fly like an eagle
And then eat
Fly like an eagle
Let my spirit carry me
I want to fly like an eagle
'Till I eat
Oh, Lord, through your revelations
Feed my cravings
Who doesn't have enough to eat?
Have more children
With my testimony to beat
Convert the people
Livin' in the street
Oh, oh, there's a revelation
I wanna fly like an eagle
And then eat
Fly like an eagle
Let my spirit carry me
I want to fly like an eagle
'Till I eat
Fly through the revelations
Into my bosom
Into my bosom
Into my bosom

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 01:13PM

Funny that you should mention that great song EB.

That was one of the topic; about providing humanitarian aid to others. She claimed that "nobody needs a warehouse of goods" to provide aid. It was all about providing "spiritual help" for those in need [of Mormonism]. I think her talk would trigger a lot of anger how her view of Mormonism would cure the ills of the world.

Date: January 31, 2019 03:46PM

messygoop Wrote:
> That was one of the topic; about providing
> humanitarian aid to others. She claimed that
> "nobody needs a warehouse of goods" to provide
> aid. It was all about providing "spiritual help"
> for those in need.

Funny how spiritual needs trump everything in Mormonism. Don't they still tell you to pay tithing before taking care of your needs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2019 03:47PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 10:03PM

I luv me some bacon too.

Posted by: Exminion ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 10:47PM

No, I’m not

I’m enjoying these responses! LOL!

Posted by: forester ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 03:21AM

The RS prez has obviously never been to my local dump where the eagles love to hang out and eat garbage. They also like to eat road kill and they will harass other birds and steal their pray. I love watching eagles soar over my house and I commend them for their penchant for expending the least amount of energy for the greatest gain.

Date: February 01, 2019 09:50AM

You're lucky. There aren't hardly any eagles to my knowledge where I live in upstate NY. If they are, they keep well out of view from the locals.

Aren't they still an endangered specy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 09:50AM by Amyjo.

Date: February 01, 2019 08:12AM

Birds in general are just plain nasty—-eagles notwithstanding. Mormonism is like a germy Thanksgiving turkey—-handle it like kryptonite. And any cute analogy by RS presidents—-hogwash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 08:13AM by kathleen.

Date: February 01, 2019 11:59AM

Interesting. She wasn't comparing pigs to bats which can fly and fly very high!

http://www.batcon.org/resources/media-education/bats-magazine/bat_article/755?tmpl=component

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 09:52AM

Personally, I'm probably a hog.

Myself, we raised a few sheep for my brother's FFA project or whatever, as we sure started with them at young ages. I was in 1st grade and my brother is 4 years older than I am. At times, we probably had 100 or more. We had a farm that we didn't live on.

Now since my father found out that if he had my sister sell the sheep at the fair, we got more money, then my sister and I always had to show the sheep for selling. You might think sheep are nice and soft and fluffy. They are grimy from the lanolin (I believe) in their wool and the smell, OH MY!

Date: February 04, 2019 11:23AM

cl2 Wrote:
> You might think sheep are nice
> and soft and fluffy. They are grimy from the
> lanolin (I believe) in their wool and the smell,
> OH MY!

Interestingly being a sheep is more akin to being a hog than an eagle. In the bad analogies dept this woman is an epic fail.

Date: February 04, 2019 11:40AM

I was born in the year if the hog. So I have a special affinity for the little pigs now.

I grew up on a small farm in Idaho where dad raised some hogs and sheep, and goats. I will say that compared to goats, sheep smell pretty good. Billy goats have the most awful stench of any farm animal we kept.

Ugh.

I saved two bum lambs one year. Dad let each of us children have one bum lamb to raise for ourselves. Because one was sickly, dad was going to kill it. Until I pleaded with him to let me save it.. And so I did by nursing it back to health. I rubbed its throat to get it to suck the bottle so it could drink its milk, or whatever it was we were feeding the little baby lambs at that time. It grew into a strong and healthy little lamb.

One day I was able to trade my two bum lambs for a Pomeranian puppy. I got to pick from the litter, and of course I picked the runt. Like the bum lamb was the runt of its litter - so was my puppy.

It was a steal of a deal I thought at the time. :)

Date: February 02, 2019 10:48AM

This is the Chinese year of the Pig.

:D

Date: February 02, 2019 11:02AM

And the Pig is a grand and glorious animal in Chinese Astrology!

:)

Date: February 02, 2019 11:27AM

"The Pig is also associated with the Earthly Branch (地支—dì zhī) hài (亥), and the hours 9–11 in the night. In terms of yin and yang (阴阳—yīn yáng), the Pig is yin. In Chinese culture, pigs are the symbol of wealth.

Their chubby faces and big ears are signs of fortune as well.

Pigs have a beautiful personality and are blessed with good fortune in life.

Personality and characteristics
Pigs might not stand out in a crowd. But they are very realistic. Others may be all talk and no action. Pigs are the opposite.

Though not wasteful spenders, they will let themselves enjoy life. They love entertainment and will occasionally treat themselves. They are a bit materialistic, but this is motivation for them to work hard. Being able to hold solid objects in their hands gives them security.

They are energetic and are always enthusiastic, even for boring jobs. If given the chance, they will take positions of power and status. They believe that only those people have the right to speak, and that’s what they want."

https://chinesenewyear.net/zodiac/pig/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.