Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 02:12PM

I don't know how many times this has been discussed, but I had this offer twice (in different wards) as a newlywed. Apparently, members seek the opportunity to offer newlyweds there "own space" or live in their home while the well-to-do members go on an extended vacation. I was told that this fabulous opportunity to house-sit was so that my wife and I would not feel crowded living in my parent's house. Apparently, it was a big concern to others that I happened to be living at my parent's home; which essentially was an empty nest as I was the last to leave. A retired doctor and his wife were traveling to Bangladesh on some sort of humanitarian trip for a month. Regrettably, I accepted after a long discussion with my wife. I wish that I would have realized that this was a humongous mistake on my part.

Expectations:
There was a handwritten list of do's and don'ts. Here were some of them.
-Maintain the yard. Water, cut grass and keep some 50 rose bushes well hydrated. DO NOT OVER WATER OR THE WELL WILL GO DRY.
-No shoes to be worn inside the house. Vacuum daily the Persian rugs.
-Take care of Rusty the dog. (No, I'm not exaggerating the dog's name.)
-Stay out of the master bedroom (which had a 40 inch TV) and walk in shower.
-Eat only in the kitchen dining as the formal dining room was off limits. They must have thought that I was going to have a raging EQ party where every HT got smashed on cherry 7-up. lol
-Don't use the computer and printer.
-Again, DO NOT USE TOO MUCH WATER.
-Utilities were pre-paid and we would get a 200 fee upon return.
-Most generous use of the "servant's quarters. There were 2 twin beds that could be "pushed together" when intimacy calls. (This was the 1990s not 1950s television). I later hauled over a queen mattress from my house as well as a TV.

What could possibly go wrong?

-The propane gas tank had not been filled. After 3 days of minimal use from cooking breakfast and dinner, the tank needed to be refilled. My mom had to step in to help, but there were several gas companies in the area. They wouldn't disclose info whether they served the home or not. She had to choose a company and paid $300 to fill up the tank. The propane delivery person didn't know how to access the backyard through a neighbor's easement so the guy parked his big-ass truck on their precious lawn. All 10 wheels of the propane truck sank into the lawn leaving gigantic ruts.

-A storm with strong winds knocked out the power. I couldn't get out to go for help because a tree had fallen and knocked down power and phone lines (sorry no cell phone for me in the 1990s). I had to manually crank the driveway gate (and it stayed open after that). Naturally, the well stopped pumping water. This time my dad helped out to restart the water pump.

After two weeks, my wife and I returned back to my parent's house. I am not going to go into great detail, but we did not feel safe living there. We had two middle of the night incidents where somebody was trying to enter the home. We had to file a police report because there were tool marks around the door. We also heard-saw strange things inside of the house. Objects that were in room of the house would be found in another room. Lights would turn on in the middle of the night. Sometimes, I overheard two people talking in the hallway.

The last two weeks, I took my dad with me in the morning and the evening because I didn't feel comfortable going by myself.

Everything was not good. The doctor and the wife had returned from their trip a day early. She was livid about her rose garden, the lawn and other things. She psycho called my Mom several times that day only to scream "You killed my roses!" before hanging up the phone. My Mom was not amused.

On Sunday, I returned the key to the doctor and explained the hardships that we had encountered. I also handed him the police reports. He thanked me and told me not to worry because they had too many rose bushes anyways. He said that his wife had written a check and would deliver it to us after sacrament.

The doctor's wife wouldn't talk to me or my wife, but my Mom went to confront her. My mom wanted to be reimbursed for the gas bill and waited for her to write out the check. My Mom also received a paltry check for $10 for my services. She told my Mom. "Messy should offer his services to the community."

"Really?" asked my Mom.

"Yes, as a house wrecker. I had over 5 grand in rose bushes ruined. And here let me show you a picture where he parked his 4x4 pick-up. Right on my lawn." She continued as my Mom looked at the photo. "And that wife of his destroyed my kitchen. I can't get burner #3 to ignite. And they ate all of our food storage. I will have to re-purchase everything."

Ultimately, the doctor paid me what had been agreed on and a little more the following week. I believe that he was deeply embarrassed over the matter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 02:51PM

What a nightmare! I will only housesit for family members whom I can reach in an emergency. I housesit for my brother and his wife quite often. While this often includes lawn, garden, and pet care, I do this out of familial love and because they have been so good to me over the years. It's a reciprocal relationship.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 03:01PM

They were just trying to get out of having to pay for the dog to be boarded and to pay another someone to pick up the mail.

Isn't it often the case that psycho-b*t*hes like this are married to really nice guys (the doctor paid you). I've never understodd that.

I think you had a lucky escape and good to post here for others to know!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 03:01PM by mel.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 03:08PM

I used to have a pony named Rusty.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 03:12PM

The wife sounds like my former psycho landlady.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 03:14PM

Yes, mormon TBMs are 'extra special', and the Rich TBMs are EXTRA EXTRA SPECIAL !!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 03:35PM

are house sitting for my daughter's good friend in the ward (who is older than I am). They are on a year-long mission to Nauvoo to do temple stuff. They only have to pay utilities. The couple were going to take their stuff out of the home so my daughter could move her's in, but she said no. They told them to eat any food in the house, etc. The only room they aren't supposed to use is their disabled daughter's room (she has some cerebral palsy and she went on the mission with them) as their daughter was freaking out about someone using her room. They don't have a dog or any other pets.

I'd be very surprised if they had any problems with the couple while they are gone or when they come back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 03:36PM by cl2.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 08:02PM

I used to do it for one of the bishopric counselors in the BYU ward I was in during the holidays.

I liked it. Gave me a break from my roommates

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.