Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 05:25PM

Was there some sort of heckler or disturbance at YBU during the fireside involving Howard Hunter (the Q12)? I listened to the audio and read the text and there doesn't appear to be anything unusual, but I am aware that the church can re-dub audio at a later time. There isn't a released video of the talk so maybe that's a clue.

I was alerted by Rusty, who spoke a few weeks after the incicident. He mentions some sort of "adversary" that is snuffed out by students singing hymns. I'm just curious.

"Dear fellow students and friends—beloved brothers and sisters—you look mighty good to Sister Nelson and me. We admire and respect you. Many of you attended the Sunday night fireside recently (7 February 1993) when President Howard W. Hunter spoke. We commend you for your conduct during that shocking confrontation by an adversary. Your spontaneous song of faith was inspired and effective. And you witnessed the great courage of that wonderful man whom we sustain as President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. How we honor him!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 05:32PM

Cody Judy.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 05:54PM

You are referring to Cody Judy, one of Utah's most colorful nutters (and that's saying something).

He took the stage at the Marriott Sports Center at BYU when HWH was speaking, and claimed he had a bomb in a briefcase he was holding. After a bit of a standoff, the Zoobie audience started singing We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet. Cody thought they were talking about him, which distracted him enough that security wrestled him to the ground.

The briefcase turned out to have LDS scriptures in them. His defense/explanation was that they contained an explosive message. Right.

He was being held at the state mental hospital in Provo to see if he was competent to stand trial. He starved himself and got thin enough to squeeze out between the bars on a window and escaped. That was the bad news. The good news was that when he escaped, he hitchhiked to KSL TV in SLC. He walked into the lobby and demanded TV time to explain to the world that he was the new head of the LDS Church. They asked him to take a seat while they made arrangements, and they called the police. He was taken into custody, and returned to the state mental hospital.

I kid you the <bleep> not.

Long story short, he was eventually deemed competent for trial, convicted, and released around the year 2000 if I recall correctly. As a convicted felon, he is constitutionally prohibited from running for state elective office in Utah, but that does not apply to federal office. He ran as a write-in for President in Utah in 2016, and ran against Mitt Romney for Senate in 2018. Yes, Mr. Judy is still around and kicking.

Cody Judy
Melvin Dumar
SuperDel Shanze
Denver Snuffer
David "Emmanuel" Mitchell (and a host of other fringe polygamist types)
(All IMHO of course. Your mileage may vary)

In Utah, the competition for biggest loon in the aviary is intense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 05:57PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 05:37PM

Great list of nutters.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 06:04PM

As a BoM salesman that was going door-to-door peddling eternal life on this date, I was clueless of this event. My MP decided that while it was prudent for him to be aware of what happened, the rest of us peons didn't need to know.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 01:46PM

+1

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 12:47PM

Remember all the yelling at conference in like 1967 or 68? Some guy up in the mezzanine of the Nabbersnacle jumped up, began shouting, and started pounding on one of the TV cameras. You heard it in the background and saw everyone's head turn. But no reference was ever made to it.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 01:55PM

"Remember all the yelling at conference in like 1967 or 68? Some guy up in the mezzanine of the Nabbersnacle jumped up, began shouting..."

I thought that was Dustin Hoffman in 'The Graduate'.

:-) :-) :-)

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 11:06PM

(anono this week)

Ya I remember this day back in 1993. Hunter was cool and collected and just went on with his talk. Not even fazed. This is the benefits to getting older, intrapersonal skills get really good.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 12:03AM

Cody Judy did time at Utah State Prison in Bluffdale/Draper.
He was a celebrity inside for his attempt.
Hoffman is a much bigger celebrity there. L-d$,inc is not liked at all by offenders generally and many have stories of ill treatment at the hands of church members. Blacks, hispanics and minorities especially targeted by bigotry by mormons - and these victims don't forget.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.