Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 01:04PM

John Mark Reynolds, Washington Post.

Here's a little of his rant:

"I am no Mormon, but I have witnessed bigotry and ignorance directed against this American community. The LDS Church is placed in the difficult position of seeing their most sacred beliefs mocked in a nation that murdered their prophet in a shameful lynching. Broadway has given aid and comfort to the mob of ignorant folk who know nothing of modern Mormonism outside of their prejudices."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/amos-and-andy-and-the-book-of-mormon/2011/06/15/AGRlHPWH_blog.html

Where to begin . . . . .?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 01:19PM

money talks.

Posted by: Source please ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:39PM

And you know this how, ass.theist? What is your source that this Washington Post article was bought and paid for by the morg?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 01:49PM

"ass.theist".. how original.

So, theist = one who asserts that a god exists
And, ass = a childish narcissistic jerkface

So an ass.theist = one who asserts that their god is a childish narcissistic jerkface. Sounds like the god of Abraham, Isaac, and Joseph Smith to me...

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 01:21PM

"I am no homosexual, but I have witnessed bigotry and ignorance directed against this American community. The gay community is placed in the difficult position of seeing their most sacred love mocked in a nation that murdered their first open member of congress in a shameless shooting. The Mormon Church has given aid and comfort to the mob of ignorant folk who know nothing of modern homosexuality outside of their prejudices."

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 02:10PM

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 01:59PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 06:11PM

As of 23.11 BST there are ZERO comments. Where the hell did they all go?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:50AM

He pulled ALL comments last night, now only some are there. Someone called him on the fact he is taking down comments that argue against his POV.

Mine, in which I referenced the Mormon temple ceremony in which the protestant pastor was mocked as a hireling of Satan was removed.

What a donkey he is! ;oD

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 02:18PM

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 02:21PM

Seriously! Lynched?! Top notch work there dumb ass.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 02:23PM

I think you all will be able to tell which comment is mine.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:29PM

There are a wide range of opinions on the subject of the BOM musical. That is just one of them.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:32PM

I read that guy's "shaming" of those who would find "The Book of Mormon" entertaining. I noticed one commenter compared Mormon bashing to racism. I don't see how the two can be the same thing. As one wise commenter noticed, you can choose your beliefs. You can't choose your race.

Given that Mormons choose to get involved in politics and public policy that affects everyone, I think they're fair game for some mocking. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but when your beliefs start to become my laws, I have the right to speak up. And Trey Parker and Matt Stone are equal opportunity mockers. That Mo's would dare to compare themselves to some of the better known oppressed groups is completely laughable.

The late George Carlin used to say he thought all religions ought to be taxed. If they want to get involved in politics, let 'em pay their admission price like everyone else.

And finally, I find it hard to take a review seriously when the reviewer hasn't actually experienced the product being reviewed. Since the author of the op-ed has not seen The Book of Mormon musical, I don't understand why he's condemning it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2011 03:32PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 03:55PM

Correction: Someone CLAIMING to be a no-Mo

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 04:46PM

"Correction: Someone CLAIMING to be a no-Mo"

Agree. Far too much angst and persecution for a noMo.

Edit:
Ah - memory serves: the author isn't mormon (as I recall) - but he really does seem to have absorbed and regurgitated mormon angst and persecution.

EG: "love for the constitution" is a phrase I frequently encounter among LDS bloggers, who attempt to demonstrate the patriotism of mormons.

[Somehow those who fancy themselves constitution lovers never actually put on a uniform and serve to protect it.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2011 05:21PM by 3X.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 11:01PM

Your average nevermo knows squat about Mormonism apart from polygamy. This guy's an apologist.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:34PM

as being derisive of Mitt. The article was a a real puff piece for the "value" of going on a mission.

Posted by: Elder George Carlin ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 08:50PM

It's absurd to tell a non-believer they can't discuss or even make fun of something someone else considers sacred.

I bet the same guy would consider it ok for Mormons to vote for taking the right of marriage away from gay people who aren't even Mormon...and I'm sure many gay people consider their marriages sacred.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: June 16, 2011 09:00PM

I respect the guy for saying it, especially when the play is so popular right now.

Looking at the picture of him, though...my bet is that he's offended due to generation gap as much as anything. That brand of humor is a much more recent thing then he is.

Posted by: peeps ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:08AM

that for 100 or so years, the Mormon's mocked other religions in play/movie form as well. And they didn't just single out one religion, they condemned all of protestants and catholics alike by suggesting that their well intentioned clergy were actually puppets of the devil.

If you ask me, the mocking of the minister is far worse than what Trey and Matt are doing. I haven't seen the play--I saw that gem they call spiderman instead, but I know they generally paint Mormons as good but a little misguided and naive. Nothing like suggesting that Mormons are in league with the devil or anything like that.

Book of Mormon. Multiple tony's
Endowment ceremony. Booooring, I'd rather watch spiderman again, nah, I'd really rather do neither.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 02:53AM

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 03:04AM

Is there a label for people like that? You know, like "dhimmi" to muslims. Useful idiots...

Posted by: godesstogodless ( )
Date: June 17, 2011 12:47PM

My guess is this Washington Post reporter thinks Romney is going to be President, and he wants Romney to pick him as his go to reporter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.