Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Richard Lyman ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 07:29PM

Spencer W. Kimball called on "Mormons" (still used back then) to 1) keep a daily journal and 2) keep "a year's supply" of food and water for "disasters". He made so few Mormons so RICH, the ones smart enough to start companies that sold "emergency supply" crap. Kimball was an avid reader of the books by Clean Skousen (The First Thousand Years, the Second Thousand Years, etc.) the predicted that Jesus had to return by 6000 years after Adam was made from clay (i.e. 2000 A.D.) and there had to be seven years of "tribulation" before that, and since Adam was created in 4004 B.C., you have to shave off "7" and "4" years from 2000 A.D., and you get 1988 as the "start of the Great Tribulation. Of course, Spencer W. Kimball never made it that far. He lost his mind completely about 1983. I heard from a former Church Security guy who sometimes worked in Kimball's apartment, that during the final months of his life Kimball would cuss out the nurses for wiping his butt or cleaning his head-cheese, using the most fowl of language. Never blamed for the guy for that. He was just old and sick and dying, and had throat cancer, and they should had retired him when he got cancer initially. But, the Church doesn't "do" that does it?

I'm wondering, did YOU keep "a year's supply" and, if so, whatever happened to it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 09:08PM

No. 2 weeks max. I live alone. I have flour and peanut butter so I could bake bread and live on that.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 07:28AM

Yes, but unlike my parents the food I have stored is edible. It isn’t stored for the end of times either. I have food storage in case my husband or I would lose or job, or a natural disaster occurs. We put out a huge garden and I can the produce. What I don’t can is given to a food bank and shelter.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 09:17AM

Yes. I carry most of it around my midsection.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 04:37PM

Best answer! You win!

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 09:47AM

When the time came for me to change direction in my life, I threw away 33 five gallon buckets of various food storage items including; beans, rice, wheat, grains, flour, etc. Also a lot of gallon containers of instant potatoes, soup mixes, dry milk, and cases of smaller cans of other foods. Most of the cans had started to bulge.

I've heard that honey doesn't go bad, it merely crystallizes and is still good when heated back to it's consistency. That is wrong, honey can go bad, I threw away four gallon cans of it.

I also discarded two large barrels of water that had been sitting in my garage for at least 10 years.

Yes I know, I should have been using and rotating this stuff. But while I was actively mormonated, it was me following the prophet and storing food like I was told to. I tried to cook some of the beans, but after boiling for half a day they were still crunchy.

Also, many bags of wheat went to the dump as well. Maybe some of this stuff was still usable, but eh, I was done with mormonislam and I used the storage space for more useful purposes. Currently I have enough food on hand for maybe a month, and enough booze that I wouldn't care either way.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 11:56AM

Two weeks of food in the pantry and freezer. 6 months of basic expenses money in the Roth IRA. Financial emergencies are many times more common than famine or food shortages. SWK lived through the great depression and dust bowl years... so I understand how he could recommend food storage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 11:57AM by chipace.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 12:35PM

I have some canned dehydrated stuff somewhere in my storage unit. If it hasn't already exploded from freezing and scorching during all the seasons of temperature change, I'll probably toss it when I finally move again and dig it out.

If I actually needed the stuff for survival I'd probably die making the trek to get it from out west. I'm currently closer to Missouri so that trek would be a bit easier.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 01:09PM

We had purchased some canned wheat that the ward food storage gestapo had been flogging. Then we left LDS Inc. We had decided the year supply thing was silly, but couldn't bring ourselves to throw the wheat out because we had spent real money on it, money that was in short supply at the time of purchase.

Then we got jobs in North Dakota, one of the biggest wheat producers on the planet. Taking canned wheat there was just too pointless to contemplate. We sold it to a local TBM for a pittance and were happy to be free of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 01:11PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Sahasrala ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 01:13PM

Storing at least a few months' worth of food, water, medical supplies, ammo, etc. is just good practice.

Storing so much you can't reasonably maintain it = bad idea.

Telling people about it = bad idea.

I don't stress about what might happen, but it's good to be prepared.

There are many realistic scenarios that can lead to suspension of rule of law, especially in cities.

Preparing for the end of the world SWK style may be naive, but recognizing the fragility of the system we take for granted every day is just basic adult behavior.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 07:14PM

"Telling people about it = bad idea."

...in one of my last defiant acts before bailing, our Elders Quorum Prez. passed around a checkoff list of what we had or didn't have as far as amassed storage supplies. I told him "Hey jackass, those inquiries are off limits, and anyone here who discloses that information to you, or the Church, is a fool!"

...just prior to the encounter, I remember reading about the DHS link to it's religious component, called the"Clergy Response Team." Not surprisingly, it was first reported on KSLA a couple years after Katrina. I think it was their first test rollout.

........go figure. Old news, but interesting.

http://www.ksla.com/story/6937987/homeland-security-enlists-clergy-to-quell-public-unrest-if-martial-law-ever-declared/

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 04:51PM

Oh hell no.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 08:40PM

My food storage has less to do with Mormonism and more to do with my own life experiences of closed banks, empty store shelves, unemployment, strapped for cash and so forth.

I have enough food for 2 to 6 months at any time. Mainly stocking up during sales and using it over time.

I never went for the wheat or dehydrated food.

I did buy a case of MREs once. As time went by we had MRE monday at work. Once a month on a monday I'd bring one in and the office would share it. (3 to 5 people). Was kind of fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.