Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 07:57AM

I was invited a while back to be part of book clubs in two different neighborhoods which were started by Mormon ladies. Attempting to learn more about the first club, knowing that it was predominately or maybe all LDS ladies, I inquired what books were on the agenda, you know, thinking this was a pretty sensible question. The look I got seemed to imply, Really, what does it matter? Then I asked how it operated....how much time was allowed to read the book, etc. etc.

I didn't care much for their reading list so did not join this club nor the second club for the same reason.

Any interesting stories about these types of book clubs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 07:59AM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 03:04PM

My Mom was attending one through her ward, but the church shut it down. She and another sister currently attend one that's sponsored through the local library. She seems to be pleased to be reading contemporary books and not restricted to church dribble.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 06:31PM

Do you know what reason or reasons the "open" church gave?

I believe a lot of TBMs would attend a book burning or burnings if they were told to be there. I know some TBMs who do not watch or even listen to "secular" news and do not read, books, articles, internet, that is not cult approved. I have gifted them a few books which most likely hit the garbage when I walked out the door.

So sad, so frustrating, and so unbelievable!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 06:37PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 04:21PM

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 03:31PM
Re: "Son Of Killed Snake Worship Pastor Also Badly Bitten In Snake Ritual"

What a PREPOSTEROUS religious practice!

It is hard to believe that some nuts are still practicing this religious practice. (Only in the deep South!?).
---

A woman (can't think of her name right now) runs a book store in SLC. She has books both for the faithful, and those in doubt, and those who want to know what the real truth is about Mormon history. I believe she can be found on the internet (under new and used LDS books store?).

She also has a news letter she sends out, without charge, for those who request it.
-----
I am sure this store is not sponsored by the church.
----

The "Sunstone" magazine may still be published (I hope). ("Mormon Experience Scholarship Issues and Art") . The last issue I kept of this is dated 2/2000, for $5.95. Address: Sunstone, 343 No. Third West, SLC, UT 84103-1215.

It's an interesting, informative, magazine with even a couple of picture jokes in it. The copy I have, has a picture of President David O. Mckay in it, when he was around 25 years old.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 08:01PM

The lady is Sandra Tanner. Her book shop is called Lighthouse Ministry Bookstore. It is most definitely not sponsored by the church.

She and her late husband, Jerald, have been pioneers in sticking it to the behemoth of Mormonism that dominates Utah life. They started many years ago.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 09:04PM

Many years ago, the wife of the guy who is now the Stake Patriarch (his wife, my good friend, passed away years before with cancer) proposed a book club - not necessarily just Mormon women - to read and discuss the then-new Harry Potter books. A lot of people were interested (including me), but somehow, it never got off the ground.It was sad, because the women who were interested were the brighter among the RS sisters.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 09:15PM

My ex-wifes mother, who will be 90 this year, has been in a book club locally for many years and since my ex retired, she's started going with her (actually driving her since she doesn't drive much lately). I'm not sure who runs the club.

They read some very interesting books just from what I've seen of them. Nothing to do with church books.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 10:24PM

The book of Mormon is the only book LDS (snows) knows.

Mormons haven't even read the book '1001 Books To Read Before You Die'. Many will die before even reading one (the most incorrect book on Earth, the BOMB - Book Of Mormon Bs).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.