Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 04:05AM

I'm going for a walk, and I'd rather go for a walk this gorgeous morning, is my reply to this question. And, that is that. I kiss the bouncy all-Sunday-dressed-up-darlings goodbye, saying, "See you after church (which is the Mormon church)," wondering if, as they grow older, what questions about religion they might ask. Then I head for the door happy to be in my comfy non-Sunday clothes and aiming for the sunshine.

Another grandchild, with her big brown eyes and legs that always run rather than walk, attends a Catholic preschool chosen by her Mom because of its excellent acadmic record rather than its religious teachings. For both her parents, enjoying nature whenever and as much as possible, is their church-of-choice, and my grandchild regularly asks her Dad very seriously, "Do you believe Jesus is real, Daddy?" Nope or nada always is his reply. Nothing else is added by him. He just smiles.

Then she turns to me. Nana, (hoping beyond hope I will agree with her rather than her Pops), do you think Jesus is real? Nope, is also my chosen reply. And whoosh, she is off, turning five or six quick somersaults with religion left to blow in the wind.

Both families love their children immensely and are caring and giving parents. Of course, I would rather the Mormon family not be mormon, but I haven't yet found my crystal ball with which to make all my wishes come true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2019 02:12PM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 08:03AM

I think you are providing a good role model for them that you can be a happy, well-adjusted person without religion.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 02:31PM

Appreciate those words, Summer.

Your name makes me think of how children are Summer in a world that can sometimes be a bitter cold Winter. Often they bring to us wisdom beyond their years and make us laugh when it didn't seem possible. Another story of one of my favorte grandchildren (they are all favorites) was when he was sitting, very patiently, especially for this very, very energetic four year old, along-side a strawberry plant he had just been gifted. I watched him in wonder as this sitting was so unusual for him. After about five minutes had passed I sat down beside him. Whatcha thinking? I asked him. I'm watching for my strawberries to turn red was his reply.

You've shared here that you are a teacher. That was always going to be my dream, had almost finished my degree with only one class and student teaching to go, and then another dream was realized - I learned I was expecting. Plans changed, and before long my husband and I had our own bustling school class filled with our own "students" who were teaching us more than we were teaching them.

When I, much later made it back to university to get a degree, I chose a new path of discovery. I believe for sure my prior university training in elementary education made me a better Mom, and helped me stick around those days I really wanted to flee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2019 02:39PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 03:14PM

One thing that I really appreciate about kids is how they see the world with new eyes. It's an often delightful perspective. I also appreciate how they can be so open-hearted and forgiving.

As you know, I've spent most of my career in urban education, so I've dealt with some real spit-fires as well -- too many of them.

My thinking on teaching is that it can be a very worthwhile and deeply satisfying activity, but also a miserable business. I include the latter due to the long hours, relentless paperwork and testing, and more than anything, the lack of appreciation from above. We have a joke in my district, "It's all your fault," which all too often seems to be the topic of our staff meetings. I inwardly groan whenever someone says that they want to be a teacher, because I know what they are in for. Idealism and a desire to help will only take you so far.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.