Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 11:19AM

https://thecoldpodcast.com/

Have you listened to these Podcasts? Don't let the KSL thing stop you--it is pretty incredible reporting. Only annoying thing is that the narrator (the investigative reporter) has to say the whole churchofcheeseandrice blah blah blah every time he means Mormon.

But if you think you followed the Susan Powell case and know it all, you may be very surprised. But beware, there could be triggers. For a lot of years, whenever I'd hear about Josh Powell or especially his father, Steve, I'd think "Oh man, I was married to that guy or married into that family." After listening to the episodes thus far it's even more of a stark reality.

In listening to it, there are so many times as the background story is being told that I want to scream, "get out of there. RUN. You are going to freakin die!" It took me a lot of years to get out of my marriage, and I'm still not sure that I'm safe. There are some real kooks and families full of kooks who blend in well enough in a mormon congregation that it actually takes a murder or assault or something for anyone to go "oh, man, the signs were all there."

If you've listened to it, give me your feedback.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 12:38PM

I was in Las Vegas when all this happened, and it was pretty big on the news there, possibly because Las Vegas has a fairly heavy mormon population.

My daughter and I have been listening to this and when it's over for the week we have to compare notes. Lots of people I talk to have been following it, also.

It's still an interesting story and I think the part that disgusts me more than most is Steve Powell, who seems to be behind much of Josh's issues. I heard him talking about writing a song about Seattle and it was just amazing.

As I said before, the fact that the KSL reporter has the say the full name each time is so silly.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 01:58PM

I just finshed ep.15, with the details about how Josh murdered his sons and then committed suicide. It was just about all I could do to listen to the whole.

There were several interviews with family and people who'd been friends or neighbors and their reactions. The saddest one to me was the woman who was the president or director etc, of the Rock and Mineral Club in WA, that Josh joined and insisted on bringing the boys where they kind of ran ragged. She was very well spoken after their deaths.

(one more pet peeve. The last few eps have had the most annoying ads, one especially for a special new hair dye etc. I don't remember other podcasts having commercial ads before.)

Posted by: Anon3 ( )
Date: February 12, 2019 01:14AM

They're all dead. There is 1 surviving sister of powell.

Date: February 12, 2019 12:39PM

I believe both of his sisters are still living--the one who was helping police all along and the younger one who lived with the powell's and claims Josh was a victim and had nothing to do with Susan's murder.

The brother, Michael, who was suspected of helping him, or at least helping dispose of the body, committed suicide. Not sure what happened to the brother with mental issues who I believe had been institutionalized, or to Josh's mother. Such a really sad dysfunctional family.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: February 12, 2019 02:21AM

I have been following most of it. I listen on Wednesdays before going to work.

Yes, he's annoying when he has to say the full name of the church. References to garments are also awkward. BUT, what I dislike most is when he tries to equate not believing in the church with being evil. Steven Powell didn't believe in the church, and the reporter infers that Steven's psychopathy is a result of his apostasy.

Date: February 12, 2019 12:33PM

I'm not really sure how you're drawing that conclusion. If that were the case, I would have alerted on it because I listen for that kind of stuff. He may have alluded to the Coxes or other people saying things like that.

Yes, he brings up quite a bit toward the end of the kids repeating how evil the mormons are because that's what they've heard at home.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 12, 2019 02:40PM

I agree, William Law. I've enjoyed the podcast, but the way the story is told, it seems like the presenter is trying to make a correlation between what Josh and his father did and the fact that they left the church. I noticed it quite a bit in the first couple of episodes.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 08:37AM

"...but the way the story is told, it seems like the presenter is trying to make a correlation between what Josh and his father did and the fact that they left the church"

Yep...exactly..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.