Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 12:49PM

I guess this will replace the requirement to write home weekly.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900055931/latter-day-saint-mormon-missionaries-can-now-call-text-home-weekly-first-presidency-announces.html

This might help keep more missionaries from coming home early?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 01:27PM

How will the MP censor that the calls are kept to information that is spiritual and up beat?

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 01:33PM

How generous of your masters to give you permission to communicate with members of your own family. Next they may allow you to breathe through BOTH nostrils.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:29PM

Razortooth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How generous of your masters to give you permission to communicate with members of your own family.

Yes, this from a cult which keeps saying family is so important. So hypocritical. I hope it quickly gets out of hand and they have to issue another edict that DAILY contact is permitted!

Posted by: msapq ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 02:08PM

and the mission president(s) enforced this rule with an iron fist.

why now then did God change mind?

so God was adamant about no contact with home except shorter written letters and calls two times per year but now God is ok with calls each week?

what bs.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 02:27PM

"(Ir)Regular (mis)communication with their families is an important part (not) of a missionary’s (dis)service.

Suddenly?
Hmmm

Pressure from MISSIONARIES - AND THEY'RE FAMILIES.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 02:28PM by moremany.

Posted by: YerVuks ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 02:54PM

Well The Missionary Handbook now needs to be torn for this Revelatory sign from God that He changed His Mind once again.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:01PM

A missionary in the ward I attended did not go home to attend his father's funeral due to the mission, of course, being so vital. I was stunned.

And yeah, sure. A "mission" in a dense urban region totally saturated by thousands of proselytizers from various faith groups is far more important than the sudden loss and overwhelming grief of a teenager losing a parent and the agony of being given no choice but to miss the gathering of family and friends and the funeral service, both of which can offer solace and a step to resolution and some healing in the face of profound loss. Instead, the acute pain is likely intensified and lingers perhaps for the rest of the son's life. For what? Another day of door-knocking, speaking to nobody, accomplishing nothing?

This was before they even had service days such as doling out meals at urban missions and food banks, as they finally started doing in this area years later. At least those hours are more productive than their regular pastimes, preaching a "gospel" in which they themselves may not even believe (a reality that shocked me to my core when I heard how prevalent that was within Mormon missionary ranks. How many said to me they were only on their mission to build up their own faith - an appalling approach to preaching a belief system - and I don't blame the young missionaries for that).

I don't think even a bereaved missionary could increase their phone calls home at that time. In fact, as I understood it, the news of his father's passing came from the MP, not even a personal phone call from a family member at such a time. If it's not scheduled or regimented it's not allowed.

I'm glad to hear the iron grip has been somewhat loosened. It's wrong to try and keep hold of members and their thoughts, actions, feelings and lives by force.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 03:11PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 04:06PM

This is what I am wondering about.
Are they going to back off when a family member dies and stop putting so much pressure on the missionary to stay out and serve, instead of coming home to say a proper good-by.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:07PM

Such a heaping load of BULLSHIT once again from the COB.

A giant middle finger and FUC* YOU to every missionary who has served up until this point that was coerced into minimal contact with their family.

God I hate these mindfuc* puppet masters and the havoc they have wreaked on so many people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 05:32PM by Tevai.

Date: February 15, 2019 03:28PM

Bamboozled Wrote:
> > A giant middle finger and FUC* YOU to every missionary who has served up until this point that was coerced into minimal contact with their family.

Yes. I think it was really hard on the young missionaries that I met.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:13PM

In a few months It will be said that it never happened.
Also Whacking day is right around the corner.

Date: February 15, 2019 03:25PM

EXON46 Wrote:
> In a few months It will be said that it never happened.
> Also Whacking day is right around the corner.

Excuse my ingnorance (was never a missionary) what is Whacking Day?

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:37PM

Mel,

Whacking Day isn't really a real day (yet anyway) but EXON46 is referring to the hopes that one day the church will let up on their fixation with what people, ummmmm, do in privacy, ummmmmm to relieve stress. And stuff.

Date: February 15, 2019 03:17PM

I wonder if this was 'allowed' because lots of them were doing it anyway? Hard to control phone calls when phones are so cheap and easily available.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:49PM

I agree. When I was on a mission in Europe in the 80s we didn't have the internet or smartphones. Most missionary apartments didn't even have phones. If we wanted to call home we had to go to the post office where we'd write down the phone number, hand it to the person behind the desk and wait to be told which booth to go to and wait for the call to come through. There was a meter next to the phone, ticking away rapidly, so you'd know how much the call was costing (a lot). It made the call a little uncomfortable. It was easier to just write a letter home. I feel like such an old fart writing this!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 03:48PM

Whacking Day can only lead to SM turning into Circle Jerks.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 10:33PM

Probably square jerks actually

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 04:15PM

Fake news unless you are into being controlled by a corporate cult. Then it is huge real news.

But I'm glad I get to talk to my daughter regularly now. During Christmas too many competing voices...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 04:53PM

I'm glad for you, Elder Berry.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 16, 2019 12:30PM

Thanks for your response.

I just talked to my other daughter and she is summiting papers tomorrow. She said she doesn't know how she feels about this since she wanted to "sacrifice" in the limited communication. She did say she thinks it is because so many come home early.

Ironically, I emailed my eldest daughter before Christmas complaining that I couldn't talk to her on Father's Day and that I think it is silly that parents can't talk once a week...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 04:22PM

15 minutes or less (calls only on Christmas and Mother's Day)

That was BKP's mind gem that was his rationale for phone calls. He really thought it was an unnecessary economic burden for missionaries to call their families.

There's an official church document in Mormonleaks that outlines this church standard.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 04:52PM

when did the phone call restriction go into place? I was engaged to my missionary in 1968. We called each other regularly. Sometimes he called me, sometimes I called him. We talked for however long we wanted to. Never gave it a second thought. So the new rules must have gone into effect after 1970.

In the 80's we had a missionary who came home for the funeral of his father. It was a sudden death and really impacted the family. He did not go back out as he felt he had to help bring income in to support his mother.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 04:54PM

I think this is a case of succumbing to the inevitable. This is a connected generation. Even elementary school kids have cell phones these days.

It could also have something to do with sending out younger missionaries. The church might be reasoning that with increased family contact, missionaries might be less inclined to bolt their missions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 05:04PM by summer.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 04:57PM

It is my personal opinion that this is nothing less than an absolute surrender to the exmo community.

They are admitting that the old system of viewing the mission as a proving ground/template for locking missionaries into a lifetime of devotion has become a failure in the internet age.

I certainly didn't follow the rule, but I can imagine the ire now of TBMs who did. Gotta be a lot of anger out there!

Another revelation based on surveys?

Apparently ghawd needs feedback in order to do his job.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 10:48PM

Once a week is better than twice a year. But what took them so long to get around to doing something that should've occurred decades ago?

And why only once a week? It's still all about controlling their every movement.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 11:21PM

seriously.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.