Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 09:59AM

It's been about three years since my last post and logging into RFM this beautiful Sunday morning I don't recognize most of the names anymore.

A little about me:
I spent 35 years in the cult, BIC, RM, Temple Married.
In 2004 I discovered some 'new' information about 'prophet' Joe.
In 2005 wife and I walked out of our UT ward and never looked back.
Became newly minted black sheep of the family & pariah of the neighborhood.
Finally moved family away from Utah as 2nd class status grew tiresome.

Now 15 years later I rarely think about mormonism. I'm no longer angry...(and boy was I pissed for a really long time). My relationship with my family is slowly improving and on my terms. Neither of my children have ever heard of Joseph Smith and they complain loudly twice a year when I drag them to a local lutheran church.

I'm still very confused about God in general....I'm agnostic on my most spiritual days but I love church music and I long for the sense of community I grew up with.

It has taken 15 years but I may finally be 'recovered' from the Mormon Mind F**K (TM)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 10:04AM by NoToJoe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 10:05AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 10:19AM

Congrats on your long road to recovery. And that you were able to spare your children the same fate.

It was 2005 when I resigned my membership in TSCC. It took me that long to reach my resolve that I was never going back. Once I did I haven't (except for family funerals.)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 10:29AM

I'm glad you're free.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 11:51AM

I understand the move away from UT County. I also lived there till 2007. Stopped attending in late 90's, but when I got a job transfer in 2007 which took me to SL County, I finally officially resigned. I could not stand the thought of my old neighborhood giving me any more of the stink eye that I was already getting from being the lapsed mormon on the block. Congrats on your life away from the cult.

Posted by: darla ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 09:06PM

CORRECTION::::::IT'S PROFIT, NOT PROPHET....THEY ARE ALL PROFITS

follow the counsel of dallin hoax....tell them what you do know..that joe smith was a profit of god

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 11:12PM

Glad you are out but one thing I doubt you would still find there is any sense of community.

All the activities and time for socializing have been dropped due to cost cutting.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 18, 2019 05:28AM

Well, you may not remember me, but I remember you ;-)

Congratulations on getting your life back!

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 18, 2019 10:18AM

Proverbs 22:6 King James Version (KJV) "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Or, as I call it, "Get'em while they're young!"

They say what children learn during the early formative years is the strongest informing that will be done to them. I do believe it. And that is why it takes forever to get the indoctrination our of your mind or in my case at least get it caged and carry a whip with you to keep it in line.

So glad you feel the way you feel NoToJoe. Recovered. I feel it too. Recovery from me is having learned something. Having added enough new to dilute the old and turn it to "misty water-colored memories".

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 18, 2019 12:01PM

NoToJoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little about me:
> I spent 35 years in the cult, BIC, RM, Temple
> Married.
> In 2004 I discovered some 'new' information about
> 'prophet' Joe.
> In 2005 wife and I walked out of our UT ward and
> never looked back.

Very similar to me except wife didn't walk out and accepted her status as Mormon single mom with apostate husband. We also had left Utah a few years earlier.

I'm very happy for you. We've both reached a point where the anger isn't so consuming. It is nice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.