Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: missionaryproblemsasusual ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 03:53PM

https://www.ksl.com/article/46495190/latter-day-saint-missionary-from-utah-killed-in-fall-in-dominican-republic

Or is it just another coverup for yet another TBM suicide? The headline reminded me of the misleading headlines about the student who "fell" off the balcony at BYU. Missions are a lot of pressure and many young people feel trapped as you all know. Or was it really just a freak accident like the OTHER missionary who was electrocuted in Mexico a few years ago? Pretty sad either way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 03:56PM

Terrible. Very sad.

Posted by: Lurker2019 ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 03:57PM

Not a suicide--I know the family and the missionary. Very faithful family. Just a tragic accident--they're so heartbroken right now.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 04:01PM

I have a photo of me standing on a plaster at the edge of the roof of a multi-story building taken by my senior companion. Kids will be kids anroof tops always beckon.

Personally I'd be very surprised if it were suicide.

Another mishie died back in late November, Zane Lamping, of Moapa, NV. He was at the MTC in South Africa and collapsed while exercising and never regained consciousness.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 04:16PM

That's tragic. Every parent's worst nightmare.

I wonder what he was doing on the roof? I don't remember ever climbing on my apartment roof during my mission. Perhaps he was repairing a hole in the roof that the cheapskate mission wouldn't take care of. Maybe he was taking a selfie. I do know that it is a big mistake to send 18 year olds directly from home/high school to living on their own in a foreign country, without the maturity gained from a year in college. I hope the parents sue.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 05:52PM

Years ago (1970) I was a missionary in Milan. We lived as a district of 8 on the 6th or 7th floor of a nice apartment house. Four of us came home for lunch, and none of us had the key to the apartment, for some reason, and were out of luck. We went downstairs. Then we looked around and there were only three of us. The fourth guy, who was from Switzerland, had gone out on a ledge under the window of the stairwell landing, and was making his way along this 6" wide ledge, while holding on to protruding bricks and stuff with his fingertips, making his way to our balcony. Our hearts were in our throats, but he made it over and opened up the unlocked balcony door into our apartment. I'm just saying that missionaries do some deadly stupid stuff.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 12:18AM

Reminds me of the Campbellites who stood on their rooftops all dressed in white expecting the Second Coming back in 1844

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 11:13AM

I feel bad for the family. An unfortunate ending of a young life.

In Mormon thought:

How blessed to die in the Lord's army.
Died during the best times of his life.
The Lord called him home for a special assignment.

I personally don't agree with mormon thinking; even when I served as a missionary. Heck, I just found out awhile back that my own mother took out an extra insurance policy on my life in case I died or was injured when I served! She told me that the knew the church wouldn't lift a finger to help.

Back to the roof. Missionaries are young and often foolish. I ended up on the roof of several of my apartment buildings. One I can't fathom how I got down because I was a big guy. We even ended up on top of a ward building when the soccer ball got kicked up onto the roof.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 11:39AM

I heard he went up on the roof to get some water from the rooftop cistern storage. No running water in the apartment. He accidentally touched a live electrical wire and the shock from the voltage knocked him off the roof.
Sounds like just a a tragic accident. Does beg the question as to why missionaries lives are put in danger because the church is to cheap to pay for better living conditions.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 07:52PM

I know DR is a poor country, but surely the Church Co. could find places for their servant salespeople with at least cold running water?

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 11:29AM

One of our sons was sent to the Amazon region and his housing conditions were appalling in the extreme. I was furious and told him I was going to sort it out instantly - he admonished me not to and said he was where the lard wanted him to be. He found joy in serving and in the deprivations, I'm sure. We were still enraged - the pictures are unbelievable. He was in a dangerous situation as well - we were just lucky he came out of it all right.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 11:30AM

If this is who I think it is the family is wonderful. My husband worked with Brennan's father. Good people. I cannot imagine this young man would do anything to harm himself.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 05:22PM

Sad, so young too. I hope he wasn’t doing a service project on his roof. I know they’re putting missionaries to work here, like helping people move, yard work, repairs, etc. I wonder if it’s the same overseas

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 05:33PM

Thats tragic. He was young and hadn't really lived yet.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 07:59PM

This is great, first someone's son is killed while working for LDS, Inc and they are not going to compensate the family so they have a donation site set up so the average rank and file can contribute their own money. Then the LDS, Inc TV station, KSL, has the gall to post a warning about the donation site.

"KSL.com does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk."

Uh great advice that the members should apply to their tithing:

"KSL.com does not assure that the money deposited to LDS, Inc will be applied for the benefit of the programs named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a tithing donation to LDS, Inc, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 11:25AM

My exhortation
Do not make of this something that it is not~!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.