Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 10:05PM

Pope Francis is hosting a summit in Rome “to grapple with the widespread and historical sexual abuse by priests that has been systemically covered up around the globe.” (Quotes indicate words taken from an article that I have lost track of for the moment, apologies).

Thousands of Indigenous children in Canada were forced to attend government-sponsored religious boarding schools in Canada (many run by Catholic nuns and priests) from the 1870s right up to the 1990s. The kids were often far from home and many lost their family, culture and language entirely (and their families lost them). Some died and were buried in unmarked graves. Rampant sexual abuse occurred and survivors still struggle to be heard and try to find some healing. It is estimated that over 150,000 Indigenous students attended these schools.

From the Canadian Encyclopedia:

“Residential schools were government-sponsored religious schools established to assimilate Indigenous children into Euro-Canadian culture.”

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/residential-schools

Evelyn Korkmaz is a former student at St. Anne’s Indian Residential School in Northern Ontario, Canada, one of the more notorious institutions. Evelyn said that the Pope should apologize for residential schools. She has travelled to Rome this week to attend the sexual abuse summit being held there by the Catholic Church. Evelyn hoped to be selected to meet the Pope but found out today she would not be among that group of 10. It turned out even the Pope didn’t attend but instead sent his emissaries.

Newspaper article here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/pope-summit-survivor-1.5025400

Excerpts:

“I would like Pope Francis to come to Canada and apologize to the Indigenous people of Canada," Korkmaz said. "He must apologize for us losing our culture and sexually abusing our people."

“The House of Commons [Canada’s Parliament, in Ottawa] passed a motion last spring calling on the Pope to apologize.
“The Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, which probed the dark, more than century-long history of the schools, also called for an apology.

“The Catholic Church, through its various religious orders, ran about 72 per cent of all residential schools across Canada.
“MPs [Canadian Members of Parliament] voted overwhelmingly to call on the Pope to apologize for the church's role in residential schools.

“But the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops has said the Pope doesn't have plans to apologize.

“Korkmaz also called on Pope Francis to pay the $25 million the Catholic Church agreed to contribute when it signed the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement in 2006.

"We need this for the healing and damages that were committed by him and his church," she said.

“Under the agreement, the Catholic Church was required to raise $25 million for healing and reconciliation programs. It only raised $3.7 million. Ottawa released the Catholic Church of its legal liability following a 2015 court ruling.

“In an interview with CBC News before she left, Korkmaz said she was carrying the voice of her people to Rome.

"I'm going to be representing the spirit of my ancestors that were abused," she said. "And all the Indigenous people of Canada that were done wrong. So, to me, it's a big burden to carry this."

“She attended St. Anne's Indian Residential School from 1969 to 1972, which was in Fort Albany, near Ontario's James Bay Coast. The school was run by the Oblates and Grey Nuns Catholic orders.

“In the 1990s, the Ontario Provincial Police investigated hundreds of abuse allegations from survivors of St. Anne's leading to five convictions, including against two nuns.

“Korkmaz said she was gang-raped at age 10 by other students, who themselves were victims of sexual and physical abuse at the hands of the priests, nuns and workers at the school.

“She was treated for her injuries by the nuns, who also doubled as nurses, but nothing was done to deal with what happened and police were never called, she said.

“Korkmaz was initially denied compensation for the abuse she suffered at St. Anne's under the system created by the Indian Residential School Settlement Agreement, finalized in 2006, known as the Independent Assessment Process (IAP). She appealed the decision and was eventually granted compensation.

"There was a point when, before all this happened, that I used to dance, skip, play hopscotch, do all the things a child is supposed to do," she said. "But they tore that away from me and I became an adult in less than 20 minutes."

“Korkmaz said even if she doesn't personally meet with the Pope, the journey will have been worth it. She got the chance in Rome to tell her truth on the international stage.

“And it's a truth she hopes will never repeat itself.

"We must stand up, and stand up for our children, for the future generations," she said.

“Because, as a survivor, Korkmaz knows the pain never goes away.

"I feel the effects on a daily basis," she said. "You can't bury it. I will take it to my grave."

-----

Why won’t the Pope apologize? Instead, today, he said (paraphrase) people who keep on about the abuse are “of the Devil”.

What about the perps? From whence do they hail? Or an institution that couldn’t get hold of itself from the 1870s right up to the 1990s? And undoubtedly long before that as well as ongoing.

And those calling for justice long delayed are the Devil’s own? Unbelievable.

Or maybe not. Such a familiar refrain.

Blame the victims.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 10:10PM

I believe the pope has apologized several times about the abuse in general and some.specific cases. Maybe he hasn't addressed this specifically, but it is certainly included in an apology for the abuse in general. Whether he has acted properly in the past or will do so in the future is another issue which I am not going to discuss since I don't know what will happen, but he has apologized. This is inaccurate.

Date: February 23, 2019 06:17PM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the pope has apologized several times
> about the abuse in general and some.specific
> cases. Maybe he hasn't addressed this
> specifically, but it is certainly included in an
> apology for the abuse in general.

>... he has apologized. This is inaccurate.

The point, I believe, from the victim's perspective, is that a "general" (and hard-won, long-time-in-coming) apology is not sufficient.

And the point too is that finally, at long last, we should [all] be listening to the *victims*. They deserve a voice, at least.

In the article I featured above, Evelyn Korkmaz, the indigenous woman (former student who was abused at an Indian Residential school) who travelled to Rome to try and see the Pope said she (and others) are looking for an apology from Pope Francis about their specific situation. It is important to them (and other survivors of other institutions and circumstances) that they be recognized, not just lumped into a general so-sorry statement all these years later.

Recognition and apology. Doesn't seem a lot to ask for.

This post is not meant as my personal opinion about the experiences and feelings of others. I was pointing out the statements and opinions of just one of the abuse survivors who seek acknowledgement from the current leader of the church that hurt them.

Surely they deserve that, at the very least.

If it takes the Pope a month of Sundays or the next 12 years of his reign he could read out a list of all the known survivors of each institution and parish, as well as a good strong mention of all the unknowns in unmarked graves, designed to be hidden and forgotten. And express contrition. Is it too much for victims to ask?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 11:53PM

I'm not sure, Nightingale, that the Pope has yet apologized for the "sexual slavery," his words, that priests and bishops imposed on nuns.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/world/pope-nuns-slavery/index.html

On a related note, the church has just acknowledged that it has internal guidelines for how to handle priests who have fathered children. This widespread phenomenon is, one of the now-adult children says, "the next scandal" since "there are kids everywhere." And no, there has been no rule that those priests must resign nor insistence that they accept legal and financial responsibility.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/world/europe/priests-children-vatican-rules-celibacy.html

Has the church said "my bad" for the priesthood's bevy of unacknowledged children? I must have missed it.

So much to apologize for, so little time. . .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 11:54PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: February 23, 2019 06:27PM

Lot's Wife: "I'm not sure, Nightingale, that the Pope has yet apologized for the "sexual slavery," his words, that priests and bishops imposed on nuns."

Apologized? No. Not that I've heard. It looks like this issue has only just come into focus:

Nuns Abused by Clergy:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nuns-at-vatican-summit-1.5030531

"The long-hidden issue came to light here in Italy earlier this month after the women's supplement of the Vatican newspaper l'Osservatore Romano published a frank article about what editor in chief Lucetta Scaraffia calls the widespread problem of rape of nuns by priests and the Catholic Church's refusal to face it.

"With the sexual abuse of children there is no doubt it's a crime, but with sexual assault of nuns you have to prove that they didn't consent," says Scaraffia. "The church tries to frame it as a transgression of vows, both of the man's and woman's. And nuns are given the message to remain silent because it will damage the reputation of the order."

"After the article was published, Pope Francis became the first pope — indeed, the first Vatican official — to ever publicly acknowledged the issue.

"Speaking to reporters during a flight back to Rome earlier this month, Francis said his predecessor, Pope Benedict, dissolved a small French order of nuns called the Contemplative Sisters of Saint-Jean "because a certain slavery of women had crept in, slavery to the point of sexual slavery on the part of clergy or the founder."

"This week, for the first time ever, the Vatican confirmed that in 2017 it drafted an internal document of guidelines on how to deal with priests who get women pregnant "for the protection of the children." While it requests that priests leave the church and take care of the child, there is no requirement they do so."

No requirement to take responsibility for the results of their predations? It remains unbelievable. All of it. Some pieces even more so.

Date: February 23, 2019 06:55PM

Survivors speak - From the article I linked above - here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/pope-summit-survivor-1.5025400

“Earlier in the day, Korkmaz [abuse survivor from an Indian residential school] spoke at a news conference held by her group, Ending Clergy Abuse, and again called for Pope Francis to say he's sorry for the harm residential schools inflicted on Indigenous people.

"I would like Pope Francis to come to Canada and apologize to the Indigenous people of Canada," Korkmaz said. "He must apologize for us losing our culture and sexually abusing our people."

“But the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops has said the Pope doesn't have plans to apologize.

“Korkmaz also called on Pope Francis to pay the $25 million the Catholic Church agreed to contribute when it signed the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement in 2006.

"We need this for the healing and damages that were committed by him and his church," she said.

“Under the agreement, the Catholic Church was required to raise $25 million for healing and reconciliation programs. It only raised $3.7 million. Ottawa released the Catholic Church of its legal liability following a 2015 court ruling.

“Quebec-born Cardinal Marc Ouellet says he hopes Pope Francis will "one day come" to Canada and meet with Indigenous people who are calling for an apology.

“In an interview with CBC News, Ouellet said only Pope Francis can say whether he will ever apologize to those who suffered in residential schools.

-----

If you are actually sorry, it often involves more than mere words. What does agreeing to raise funds for healing and reconciliation programs but failing to follow through indicate? That you're not really all that sorry, it seems to me.

-----

Nuns Abused by Clergy:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nuns-at-vatican-summit-1.5030531

“There is evidence the Vatican has known for decades about the problem of priests and bishops preying on nuns but has done next to nothing to stop it. Several nuns have come to the Pope's summit, now underway, to bring attention to the issue.”
“Looking back on her early years as a nun, Doris Wagner says what strikes her most about the time after a priest came into her room and raped her is that nobody in her small religious community noticed anything different about her.

"I was in such a bad state that I could not think a single clear thought," recalls Wagner, 34, of the assault she says took place in Rome in 2008. "My whole personality was gone, and still nobody saw it. I got up in the morning, I went to chapel, said the prayers, worked [in the] kitchen and in [the] evening I went to sleep. I felt like a zombie, really."

“Still, "it worked," she says, referring to her training as a nun to be selfless, obedient and, above all, available.
"This is such a large part of a nun's reality — that you have to be available to priests," she says.

“As top bishops from around the world gather at the Vatican for a summit on preventing sexual abuse of minors by clergy, victims of abuse have poured into Rome, too. Among them are many women like Wagner, here to draw attention to the abuse of nuns.

“The long-hidden issue came to light here in Italy earlier this month after the women's supplement of the Vatican newspaper l'Osservatore Romano published a frank article about what editor in chief Lucetta Scaraffia calls the widespread problem of rape of nuns by priests and the Catholic Church's refusal to face it.

"With the sexual abuse of children there is no doubt it's a crime, but with sexual assault of nuns you have to prove that they didn't consent," says Scaraffia. "The church tries to frame it as a transgression of vows, both of the man's and woman's. And nuns are given the message to remain silent because it will damage the reputation of the order."

-----

Pope Francis at least acknowledged the issue (as follows, from the article mentioned above). With the groundswell of victims coming forward now, he perhaps has less choice in the matter than all his predecessors, who put the good of the church and its priest class ahead of the well-being of its adherents, including nuns and children.

-----

“After the article was published, Pope Francis became the first pope — indeed, the first Vatican official — to ever publicly acknowledge the issue.

“Speaking to reporters during a flight back to Rome earlier this month, Francis said his predecessor, Pope Benedict, dissolved a small French order of nuns called the Contemplative Sisters of Saint-Jean "because a certain slavery of women had crept in, slavery to the point of sexual slavery on the part of clergy or the founder."

“But critics say the Pope's comments fail to reflect the breadth and depth of the problem.

“As far back as 1994, Irish missionary Maura O'Donohue, then a co-ordinator with the Catholic Fund for Overseas Development, documented international abuses of nuns by priests, including sexual assault, pregnancies, forced abortions and even deaths due to botched abortions.

“Wagner [former nun who was raped] says she thinks it will take at least a decade for the Catholic Church to properly deal with the issue of the exploitation and sexual assault of nuns. And that women must enter all levels of the church hierarchy for that to happen.

"The power structure has to change. Unless the power structure changes, there will never be an appropriate dealing with children sexual assault either," she says.

Catholic Church must match words with concrete action, says survivor:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-february-21-2019-1.5026580/to-tackle-sexual-abuse-catholic-church-must-match-words-with-concrete-action-survivor-1.5027602

“A Vatican summit to tackle sexual abuse won't succeed unless the Catholic Church matches its words with concrete action, one survivor says.

"You can't, by committee, change the mind of an abuser. You can't, by committee, change the thinking of a predator, and that's what these priests are," Bob McCabe [said].
“McCabe was 11 years old when he was sexually abused by his parish priest in Toronto in 1963. More than 54 years later, he brought a case against the diocese.

“The archdiocese "admitted that it had taken place ... and it should not have happened," he said, but noted the church has appealed how much damages should be awarded.

"Apologies are not enough ... I feel the church has given up the right to apologize anymore," McCabe said of the summit.
"What they need to do is make amends … to gain forgiveness is one thing but that also means that your actions have to match your words."

“Among the proposals considered by the assembled clergy will be a document released last year by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops.

“McCabe described it as a "fabulous document that hopefully down the road will reduce the risk ... of a child, a minor being sexually abused."

“The document, however, is overly clinical and does not include the voice of survivors, he said.

"At one point in the document, it indicates that it's difficult for a bishop to hear the circumstances of a victim's peril, or a victim's experience in sex abuse."

“But for victims, he said "it goes a lot farther than just being difficult, it totally annihilates everything that is in existence for a child. It annihilated my life."
“He brought [his] case against the diocese in May 2017 because the priest who abused him had died. Despite taking responsibility, the church appealed the decision to award damages, meaning he is still waiting on a ruling by the Ontario Court of Appeal.

“Father Michael Bechard, director of the office of the campus ministry at King's University, in London, Ontario [said] the church needs to discuss human sexuality more honestly, as well as stopping the demonisation of gay and lesbian people, and making clear "distinctions between homosexuality and the scourge of pedophilia in our churches.

“The complexity of the institution could make for slow progress, he warned.”

“Much work remains to be done, even by Pope Francis.
“In December 2015, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission into Canada's residential schools recommended that the Pope formally apologize for the Catholic Church's role in running 72 per cent of the institutions.

“More than three years later, survivors are still waiting.”

Shocking Global Scope:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/national-today-newsletter-pope-abuse-summit-snc-lavalin-1.5024315

“The [press] pack was waiting for sexual abuse victims to exit a meeting they had hoped to have with the pontiff. But Francis never showed up.

“And that could be a sign of disappointment to come.”

“Anyone hoping Catholic bishops will "change the world" during this summit will be disappointed, said Father Federico Lombardi, a former papal spokesman who is acting as the event's moderator.

“He told me the expectation should rather be for "many new ideas and concrete models" for protecting minors to emerge.
“So much for the hopes of victims of clerical abuse. Our recent trip to Verona, 500 kilometres north of the Vatican, highlighted the deep and painful scars that remain for survivors of abuse, even decades later. And it showed how for some, expectations for the summit go far beyond what will likely happen.

“Clergymen at Verona's Antonio Provolo Institute — a Catholic-run school for deaf boys — sexually and physical abused at least dozens of students between the 1950s and 1980s. One man told me [the reporter] that when he was 6, a priest started sodomizing him every night.

“A group of Provolo victims and supporters is headed to Rome to demand compensation for the horrific abuse they endured. Their spokesman, Marco Lodi Rizzini, said giving them money "is the only thing" the Church can do for the survivors.

“The next few days will show what the Pope and his cohorts are willing to do to stop the abuse.”

-----

My posts are about just some of the abuse that has occurred within the Catholic Church over decades (centuries?) and the effects on survivors and their quest for acknowledgement, contrition, apology - in their own words. Receiving an apology is an important part of their lifelong healing process. They are speaking up and sharing their pain. It is an honour, and a burden, for all of us. Will we too seek to brush it under the carpet or will we call it out, at long last, and acknowledge the pain and heartache and the evil that caused it?

It's not about protecting the Catholic Church or excoriating it. But rather listening, hearing, caring, doing. Hearing the expressions of utter pain and countless life paths forever changed. Maybe all most of us can do is hear and care. But that we can do. The voices clamour. The pain sears. The evil poisons if not rooted out.

For the Pope to recently label as "of the Devil" those who keep on about it (both survivors and their advocates) is beyond appalling. Even if you are uninvolved, neutral, under-informed, or otherwise disinclined to criticize the RCC and/or Pope Francis, that kind of utterance is redolent of blaming the victims and their advocates, of standing behind the abuser and not the victim. Not a good way to start out on an apology tour.

A tour that is very badly needed and most definitely unforgivably delayed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 24, 2019 02:09AM

>>For the Pope to recently label as "of the Devil" those who keep on about it (both survivors and their advocates) is beyond appalling.

I agree with you. I think Francis sees these complaints as an attack on the central mission of the church -- to preach Christ's message. He is treating them as pesky small problems instead of the major betrayals that they represent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.