Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 10:06AM

My husband was reading an article about Brennan Conrad and suddenly realized he knows his father. I'm trying to get confirmation online right now to make absolutely sure it's him, but I'm almost certain it is. Lynn worked with him and still has contact with him from time to time about various work matters and construction projects. It doesn't matter whose child it is, but it hits home a little harder when you do know the parents, somehow. Justin Conrad is a really nice guy with an extraordinary work ethic. Lynn will contact him soon and offer his condolences, no matter how weak they probably sound. I'm well-known in this area for tangling with people online about religion in general and the LDS church quite often - some people get angry, some are amused, others read silently, apparently, and get something out of it, which is my fundamental hope. This time, for this article, though, I just said that no matter one's belief or non-belief, this is tragic and that our hearts go out to the family. That is getting good support, as people realize one cannot speak out against the church in situations like this. Some still are, but it's going very badly for them. One of our sons lived in the most appalling conditions imaginable - I was enraged when I saw pictures. He was on the roof sometimes desperately trying to make their living space safer and less drippy and dangerous. This could very easily have been my child. You just can't imagine how unbelievably bad it was, which was inexcusable. The Dominican Republic, I'm sure, isn't known for its comfortable and upstanding housing. It's quite possible Elder Conrad was doing exactly what my son had to do. I grieve for the family.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 25, 2019 01:37AM

I know two people whose sons were killed on their missions. We aren't told the numbers of missionaries who're killed.

How many here knew that two victims of the Texas Chainsaw Murderer were mormon missionaries? I didn't until one's brother, our ward member, bore his testimony. He said that his family identified their son by his wristwatch. All for a lie. Last time I saw this brother, he had shed his garments. I only hope those two families have quit mormonism.

There are so many more that have died for nothing. News of their deaths is as brief as mormonism can make it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2019 02:23AM by kathleen.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 25, 2019 04:52PM

Although there were similarities between the murder of the two Mormon missionaries and the murders in the movie "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," the missionaries were murdered before the release of the movie. Perhaps the movie inspired the murders.

That horrific tragedy should have been a wake up call to the Mormon church and its missionary program. Nothing changed.

I entered the MTC just a few years after that tragic incident. I don't remember being taught self defense in the MTC. I also don't remember being taught how to avoid dangerous situations. No, the leaders didn't want to frighten us. They filled our heads with inspirational stories of baptisms instead.

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: February 25, 2019 01:45AM

It was 2 mormon missionaries that were killed horribly in Texas. The man got out and moved to England.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 25, 2019 02:21AM

Thanks, I didn't make that clear. Fixed it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.