Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 10:16AM

Just listened to Pentatonix's newly released version of "Sound of Silence", which raises the hair on my arms. I usually can't watch them - they're too weird. But when I close my eyes and soak it in...bliss. I love knowing I can enjoy music other than what was deemed appropriate and "godly". There is a wealth of gorgeous stuff out there. Such happiness for someone like me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Organized Chaos ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 10:38AM

Nice. This raises mine:
https://youtu.be/u9Dg-g7t2l4

Date: February 22, 2019 10:48AM

I love that version as well - I was stunned when I first heard it. Absolutely powerful.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 12:41PM

I'm a big fan of this one. The Pentatonix one seems a bit derivative: take the original song, the Disturbed version, and then create a hybrid, which is more powerful than S&G but less angry than Disturbed.

I prefer the Disturbed just as the Johnny Cash version of Hurt moves me more deeply than the Nine Inch Nails original. It seems as if great artists can achieve that rarest of feats: a superior version of the original.

Hats off to Paul Simon, meanwhile, for writing something amenable to so many different interpretations and emphases. An old friend of mine, who taught me English lo these many years ago, said that the best books are meant for the second reading. Think of Shakespeare: every good performance is unique, the seeding of a single Japanese Maple in the certitude that it will assume shapes no one imagined.

Perhaps the same applies to great music. The Goldberg Variations were never the same after Glenn Gould revolutionized them. At a lesser scale, these reproductions of Sound of Silence bring out some of the depth and power inherent in what originally seemed a relatively simple pop song. These pregnant songs yield fruit for decades to come, reflecting the fears and desires of new generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FywSzjRq0e4

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 10:52AM

Music can be moving, transformative, amazing..

LDS lost me to music.
The world won me!

I love LOTS of different kinds of music, young and old and new... and find if mostly on NON-COMMERCIAL ('community supported') radio, and find it is a lot more TRUE than Mormonism ever hopes to be.

Just this past decade alone I've discovered hundreds of bands and musicians I dig! Some more than others. Deep, I know.

I found KRCL 90.9 fm (Salk Lake City) http://krcl.org a while back and have been listening every since (leaving Mormonism). The same goes with KBCS, and KEXP, in Seattle, and KBOO, in Portland, and KPFA, in San Fransisco, etc..... And other places I've been.

You don't need to go anywhere now to listen to GREAT music... from the comfort (or discomfort) of your own work, beach, bed, deck or treehouse.

There is an amazing amount of music coming out today.

And lots tomorrow too.

Keep listening.
Keep sharing!

M@t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 10:56AM by moremany.

Date: February 22, 2019 10:54AM

I will. It feeds me, especially since I was liberated from the never-ending guilt when I had the gall to take in something other than hymns. I struggled with that constantly. What a joy life is now!

Date: February 22, 2019 10:57AM

I bet! :)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 11:07AM

I love music too. It stirs the soul.

I used to write songs and sing more than I do now. My creative side of the brain was overtaken by my left side of the brain at some point in time.

When going through an emotional upheaval though I've noticed is when I've been at my most creative. I believe I've used it as an expressive outlet for my emotions especially as a teenager and young adult.

Date: February 22, 2019 11:17AM

That is absolutely what happens oftentimes. I am strange in that I do best in a state of what someone on FB called "contented melancholy". It's not depression, but a state of being...not perky, not outgoing, not overtly and outwardly joyful all the time. I play better (performed) and I create better (scrapping and writing). It can be an incredibly powerful way to release emotions and deal with what is bottled up or troubling. Get back to writing and singing - it's healthy! :)

Date: February 22, 2019 11:43AM

When I went to college it was a choice of majoring in English (because I loved to write poetry.) Or political science (just liked the study of governments for some reason as I hate politics ha ha.)

The rational side of the brain seemed to take over the longer I was in college (sad, I know.)

My "inner child" still finds solace in art and music though. I used to have a dream to live in a farmhouse in Vermont and write away to my heart's content, like Robert Frost and Edna St Vincent Millay. Emily Dickinson lived in her parents home in central Mass until she died.

Grandma Moses is buried in the same village in Vermont where Robert Frost is. She stopped painting between 22 and her 70's because of working on the farm and raising her five children. Finally when she could stop working so hard she picked up the paintbrush again. It's said a person's most creative years are in their 70's (for those lucky enough to live that long!) I hope to be able to live that long with quality years not just quantity years. :)

I could see myself writing again God willing, into my twilight years. It's the creative writer's block that needs some unwinding! :P

Date: February 22, 2019 12:01PM

It sounds like you have a great deal to offer. Start sooner rather than later, though - I often think of a meme I have that says, "The problem is, you always think you have time."

Date: February 22, 2019 12:47PM

I've wondered that too. Time is the only thing there doesn't seem to ever be enough of.

:/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 11:21AM

I can't listen to music. It brings back bad memories.

Date: February 22, 2019 11:28AM

Can't at all?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 11:34AM

Love that.

Just a technical question: will that injur his voice?

Date: February 22, 2019 12:02PM

Will what injure his voice?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 12:19PM

Making it so scratchy at the end. (I know nothing about singing.)

Date: February 22, 2019 12:37PM

If he knows what he's doing, and I'm sure he does, it will not.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 12:41PM

Here is a link to a concert I played in on Tuesday. I played bass clarinet and sitting in front of the tuba. The group is primarily music majors with some faculty and 2 community members of which I am one. I wished the recording was of better quality. The students are excellent and the conductor is nationally recognized for composing and directing. Nice hobby. I usually play jazz on alto or tenor sax.

https://livestream.com/leeu/events/8569922/videos/187643820

My personal favorite piece starts at around 46:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 01:05PM by Eric K.

Date: February 22, 2019 02:31PM

Good stuff, Eric. Some of it sounds very familiar - I think I've played portions of it with various bands and orchestras. Brings back wonderful memories. I don't have sophisticated tastes, so when I do listen to music (which isn't all that often - I need silence) it's my cheesy 70's pop music, the Manhattan Transfer, the Carpenters, Home Free, BB King, and similar music. Still, I miss doing this kind of music too - it helped me as a musician.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 05:29PM

https://youtu.be/WrcwRt6J32o
I love the Simon Garfunkel one, but my favourite is “ Bridge over troubled waters” . I like this Central Park concert version because it’s live and they still sound good live,plus they’re doing it in one take.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 05:45PM

Funny, I was just thinking the other day that if I couldn't

hear music I'd shrivel up and die. One of my favorites right

now is Calavita, music from the Deer Hunter. I love music

of all kinds except country. My favorite is R&B.

Date: February 24, 2019 10:10AM

That's Deer Hunter right?
https://deerhuntermusic.com
Totally. I guess they are also referred to as The Deer Hunter.
Not to be confused with Matthew Dear (I was listening to this morning),

From Ghostly-
Matthew Dear is a shapeshifter, oscillating seamlessly between DJ, dance-music producer, and experimental pop auteur. He is a founding artist on both Ghostly International and its dancefloor offshoot, Spectral Sound. He writes, produces, and mixes all of his work. He's had remixes commissioned by The XX, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Spoon, Hot Chip, The Postal Service, and Chemical Brothers; he's made mixes for DJ Kicks, Get Physical's Body Language, and Fabric mix series. He maintains four aliases (Audion, False, Jabberjaw, and Matthew Dear), each with its own style and distinct visual identity. He straddles multiple musical worlds and belongs to none, now nearly 20 years into his kaleidoscopic career, with five albums and two dozen EPs plus millions of miles in the rearview of his biography.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: February 24, 2019 12:28PM

Ahhhhhhh…I have LOVED Cavatina since I first saw The Deer Hunter in a Provo theater back in 1979. Love the movie too. I can listen to Cavatina over and over again. If I were to have a funeral, it would probably be the last song played so people sitting there could listen and reflect. Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFscYYRsNnQ

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 05:59PM

Whenever I hear a great song on the radio, I say, "Goddammit, that was a great song!" And I mean it!!

Has anyone ever loved, and been uplifted by a song whose lyrics are sad? I suppose it means that I'm hearing the music but not the words.

Also there are events in my life tied to songs, and when they repeat, the event triggers the song, and the song triggers the memory of the event.

Humans are weird.

Posted by: Organized Chaos ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 12:42PM

I agree humans are weird and music is a human experience.
I don't believe I would want to live in a world without it.
I had no idea there were such talented and creative people on this board.
Amy Jo and Cathy are onto something. I have observed that when people are at their most creative they're in a weird emotional state of mind or"funk", for lack of a better word. And it seems this emotional "funk" may be triggered by adversity that the person is going through.
And being involved and plugged into society, such as school, our professions, raising our family;etc,quashes that part of our self.
I don't think I have a creative bone in my body,sigh.
Oh well, here's to retirement. If I ever get there.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 02:02PM

S&G's rendition is the best, particularly in concert.
I was fortunate enough to experience this when I was in college (prior to their separation).

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 03:10PM

I agree, S&G's rendition was the best, and I was fortunate to see them in concert, then last June, to see Paul Simom on his farewell tour. I also got to see CS&N before they split up, and that was another amazing concert.

I also love some newer stuff, as I have a college radio station I listen to, along with a NPR station that has an eclectic show. I couldn't imagine life being worth living without music. I do say that one reason I was never going to last as a Mormon was that I love music too much to limit what I might listen to.

Posted by: onewayjay ( )
Date: February 24, 2019 10:31AM

I like Johnny Cash singing DIRTY OLD EGG SUCKING DOG

and

Hank Snow singing THE MAN WHO ROBBED THE BANK IN SANTA FE AND GOT AWAY

and

Marty Robbins singing EL PASO CITY.(a song about belief)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.