Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 02:17PM

Do you guys cuss ?

I do.

My husband says I cuss worse than any cop he’s ever known.

As a Mormon, consecrated oil wouldn’t melt in my mouth. But since leaving Mormonism's rarified air behind, I’ve taken on the mother tongue of my Pop … cussing.

Last week, my friend launched the F-word four times in a job interview and wasn’t even aware of it until a coworker told him. That’s how I am. I’m not even aware of saying bad words. (BTW, he got the job.)

Another TBM friend said her father-in-law was a Basty Nastard. I couldn’t believe that came from her Gospel-Doctrine mouth. We both smiled. My own brother cussed with godless vigor … until he got religion. I miss the old him.

Tuesday, I walked into my son’s office while he had General Motors on the phone over a warranty dispute involving his client. He was polite for a minute, then said, “Hear the words of my mouth, Mother Fucker!” Problem was resolved satisfactorily.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 02:23PM

I do, depending on the audience and/or the necessity.

One of the things that attracted me to my former wife was her skillful use of profanity.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 02:29PM

I do, like a sailor, but generally only when I'm angry or seriously stressed. It helps. Not sure why. But, if I drop the occasional F-bomb here and there in normal conversation too I don't think lightning is going to strike me on the head any more.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 02:47PM

I do, but it's limited to retain its effect. I made liberal use of the F-bomb in basic training just to get the attention of my fellow recruits. Once I had their attention, I could dial it back it bit.

My wife says she cusses more since we married six years ago than during all the years before then. I'm not sure what to make of that.

On perhaps a related note, my dad often said I was enough to make a preacher swear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 02:48PM by GregS.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 03:03PM

Is Nelson old enough to fart dust?

It’s been scientifically proven that cussing increases pain tolerance. It comes in handy.

Posted by: gordo ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 03:39PM

“Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 03:26PM

Oh my, heavens yes.

I have had penchant for vulgarity since I was a kid, I remember once dropping the F bomb just after my mormon baptism at age 8 and thinking "well, shit, that didn't last long" lol

I held it together for the most part on the mission until I got one of my favorite comps, I was the senior and transferred into this podunk area. The Berbs (Elder Berbert) met met at the train station. He rode his bike there and we walked back to the apt. Along the walk, he dropped the F bomb a couple times and it was game on. We had SUCH a blast together. When he was transferring out, on our way to the station, he said "you know, it just occurred to me.....we didn't knock on a single door. Not one single fucking door the whole time we've been together." and we didn't. I hated mishie work.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 03:39PM

I guess it depends on the situation and the phrasing.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 03:47PM

I hate when smug Mormons inform me that "cussing isn't necessary." I'm vulgar, not stupid. I know it isn't necessary.

^One of my favorite jokes.

Also, there are those days when there are not sufficient cuss words available for the occasion and so you have to string about ten of them together in various combinations to get the job done.

My Dad the stake patriarch still swore like a sailor till the day he died. A few years in the Army WWII kind of made him virtuoso.

Me? I have never been afraid of words. The F-word and Intercourse mean the same. One just has an economy of letters.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 04:29PM

I didn't swear when I was an active Mormon. Now I say the F word a lot.

My TBM friend was visiting me a few years ago. I did my best not to swear in front of her but accidentally dropped the F-bomb while I was driving and became irritated with another driver. She reprimanded me because of it. I told her I tried very hard not to swear around her. She said it was the third time (in three days) I'd said that horrible word. I turned to her and very calmly said: "I'm an adult and this is my car. I can say f--K if I feel like it." She didn't like it and asked me to pull over so she could get out. I think she was going to call a taxi or something. I should have let her get out of the car but I'm a nice person and told her she was being silly. I continued driving her from one store to another, then to visit her friend, and finally to the airport. I kind of wish now that I had let her out of the car and never talked to her again. After many years of "friendship" I've finally realized that she is not really a friend.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 04:39PM

George Carlin was my mentor.

Date: February 22, 2019 04:41PM

Coincidentally, a nevermo friend posted this on Facebook a couple of hours ago.

"Every British swear word has been officially ranked in order of offensiveness"

https://www.indy100.com/article/british-swear-words-ranked-ofcom-7340446?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1rd8JSBg6RgpAFq1vOHdb_tE2MoaTnrHWUYEqsCm-cJ3YVpARjMt2IUuE#Echobox=1550769232

If that's all of them, they have fewer vulgarities than most Americans.

Date: February 22, 2019 04:44PM

I loved this book, if for no other reason than it cleared up the differences between swearing, profanity and vulgarity;

Holy Sh*t: A Brief History of Swearing, by Melissa Mohr

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Sh-Brief-History-Swearing-ebook/dp/B00BQBZ840/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550871834&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Holy+Sht%2C+a+brief+history

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 07:36PM

olderelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Every British swear word has been officially ranked in order of offensiveness"

Wow, thanks for the list! I learned a lot of new ones!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 08:07PM

olderelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If that's all of them, they have fewer vulgarities
> than most Americans.

I've noticed a new one being tossed about on the net of late.... "wank stain".

Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 04:50PM

I cuss only when needed, which apparently is quite often.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 04:54PM

Not out loud. I do in my head or censored through text, when I'm super frustrated. "Damn" is my go-to word, since my frustrations are more often mild than not, but when they're not, stronger swears crop up. It doesn't fit my personality to say them out loud. I'd feel attention-seeking if I said them out loud under any circumstance, but I don't hold the same judgement towards others because we all have different ways of expressing ourselves. People who are clearly swearing to get pity and attention (you can tell they enjoy being dramatic) make me picture myself rolling my eyes, but other than that, I think most people swear because it's innate to them and it's cathartic.

Date: February 22, 2019 04:54PM

Also, using real swear words saves you from saying something stupid like Holland's, "What kind of patty cake, taffy pulling experience is that?"

Taffy pulling? What kind of effen way is that for a grown man to talk while claiming to be furious with his eyes bulging and his jowls shaking? What happened to hell fire and brimstone?

Put the pedal to the metal, Holland. If anybody should be saying God Damn, it should be an apostle.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 05:03PM

Fuckin' A, baby!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 05:04PM

Only if I am alone or with somebody

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 05:36PM

Oh for real I do. Fuck is one of my favorite cuss

words,actually its the only one I use.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 12:01PM

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 05:47PM

I sincerely believed that taking the lord's name in vain would count against me in the final judgment. So from Primary until 2013, when I moved in with my honey buckets of oats, I never said "goddammit."

Now, 6 full years later, it's where's the goddam remote... I gotta take a goddam piss... And so on.

If they read all the charges at my final judgment, we're gonna be a while.

Date: February 22, 2019 07:37PM

rocomop Wrote:
> If they read all the charges at my final judgment, we're gonna be a while.

Hahahahah!!!!!

Posted by: Honkin' Hank Eyring ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 06:02PM

Fuck no!

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 06:18PM

Fuck yes!

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 06:52PM

Former sailor, so fuck yes!

"In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." -Mark Twain

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 06:53PM

I cuss more than I did as a member, but not often.

You should join a criminal defense law firm. Man they curse worse than cops.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 07:32PM

fvck yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 08:29PM

Yes, but I try hard to censor my language around my young children or anyone else's.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 08:36PM

Been cussing since I was a youngster.

I remember once in Seminary during a scripture chase I messed up giving the scripture reference and said, "SHIT!!" The whole class went silent until my best friend (who cussed more than I did) decided to stick it to me and said in his best condescending voice, "I can't believe you would allow words like that to escape your mouth here in the "House of the Lord"."

Posted by: GONE4GOOD4EVER ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 08:43PM

HOPE THIS MAKES YOU SMILE ...
THE MOST FUNCTIONAL ENGLISH WORD

Well, it's shit ... that's right, shit!

Shit may just be the most functional word in the English language.

You can smoke shit, buy shit, sell shit, lose shit, find shit, forget shit, and tell others to eat shit.

Some people know their shit, while others can't tell the difference between shit and shineola.

There are lucky shits, dumb shits, and crazy shits. There is bull shit,

Horse shit, and chicken shit.

You can throw shit, sling shit, catch shit, shoot the shit,

or duck when the shit hits the fan.

You can give a shit or serve shit on a shingle
You can find yourself in deep shit or be happier than a pig in shit.

Some days are colder than shit, some days are hotter than shit, and some days are just plain shitty.

Some music sounds like shit, things can look like shit, and there are times when you feel like shit.

You can have too much shit, not enough shit, the right shit, the wrong shit or a lot of weird shit.

You can carry shit, have a mountain of shit, or find yourself up shit creek without a paddle.

Sometimes everything you touch turns to shit and other times you fall in a bucket of shit and come out smelling like a rose.

When you stop to consider all the facts, it's the basic building block of the English language.

And remember, once you know your shit, you don't need to know anything else!!

You could pass this along, if you give a shit; or not do so if you don't give a shit!

Well, Shit, it's time for me to go. Just wanted you to know that I do give a shit and hope you had a nice day, without a bunch of shit. But, if you happened to catch a load of shit from some shit-head...........

Well, Shit Happens!!! and the cult put me through a lot of it!!

Date: February 22, 2019 09:27PM

Thank you Gone! Priceless shit here!

Date: February 23, 2019 02:24PM

Standing ovation! I need that embroidered on a sofa pillow.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 09:29PM

Why would one cuss? Something "wrong"--with others, the world, oneself? Yet how often does someone curse him- or herself...

Think about the line between verbal abuse, bullying, and spewing obscenities. Any wonder that they so frequently overlap? And yet who here would brag about abusing or bullying, as if these were cool and signs of independence?

Date: February 22, 2019 11:39PM

In my parenting class, I tried to emphasize that tone of voice could be far more destructive than words. My mantra was "Tone Tells The Truth."

Even a dog won't know what you say to him, but he'll cower at a bad tone.

Mormonism is full of bullying words. How about *unworthy*?

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 09:57PM

Yep, in order to be a good exmo, you have to be vulgar, and drink alcohol, and get tattoos and nose rings.

Almost like trying to be worthy at church.

Guys at work seem to have a competition to see who can say the F word the most. About 4 times per sentence to prove you're a tough guy.

Why do we tell our kids not to be vulgar? If it is so great, why not start them young? What's the difference?

Seems you're either a crowd follower or not. Some go from following the church crowd, to following some other crowd, desperate for acceptance. I'm not a follower, which is why I naturally tend to resist profanity.

I never understood how it is considered cool to do what everyone else is doing. You would think being unique would be cool.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 01:39PM

My view, too.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 10:36PM

Sometimes, but not often.

My parents cussed like sailors even when they had temple recommends.

They used every cuss word except for the F bomb.

I'm okay with the F bomb but don't use the Lord's name - it was what my parents used all the time. I got to detest their overuse of swearing.

One time I used the F bomb in my dad's presence and he didn't let me forget it. That was the one word he found offensive lol. He cussed like a sailor but did not use that word ever. God only knows why.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 11:00PM

LOL reminded me of a convo I had with a friend once.

He was doing something unscrupulous and he actually said (in front of 3 of us, so I have confirmation) "I really shouldn't do this anymore, I have a Temple Recommend for Christ's sake"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 11:47PM

Σ

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 09:37AM

I cuss sum.

Posted by: NOLDS4ME ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 08:20AM

The F word should become a newly recognized form of speech as it has evolved into a "hypersuperlative" (yes, I invented the word). It expresses something beyond the most, an extreme intensity. There is good, better, best and f'ing best!

In any case, here in New England, we don't cuss, we swear ;)

Date: February 23, 2019 09:29AM

^ Yes.

After I heard my son go to bat for his elderly client, I said—Sweetie Pie, you’re what’s called “A Swearing Good Man.”

At his dealership, I saw him grant many needy people warranty work for the rest of their lives.

He is truly his His Brother’s Keeper, F-words notwithstanding.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 09:33AM

Yup...no apologies either. I kinda like cussing a bit when I talk to Mormons too.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin (cussing) ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 01:15PM

My dad was a big cusser. He was a farmer. I think farmers tend to cuss more. They have a reason. I cussed when I did farm work. Then I cleaned up my language as I felt so guilty.

When I had twins, it all started over again. Have twins and see if you cuss!!! My ex hated that I cussed. That is probably why he is still gay. I was supposed to be perfect so he wouldn't be tempted. I think he cusses now, but not as much as I do. It is just part of my vocabulary.

My whole family cusses except my daughter, although she used to be the one who dropped the F bomb more than anyone else in the family before she found religion.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 05:19PM

Sure.

I would hear my Dad swear; usually after getting hurt while trying to repair the car.

Funniest one was my missionary companion. He was a convert and was fully ingrained in saying God-dammit when he did something foolish.

I remember standing around outside the in the church parking lot during a zone conference. It had rained earlier in the morning and the lot was full of puddles. My companion tried to pull out some items from his suit jacket and his blue planner (weekly planner with appointments, names and phone information) tumbled into a puddle. He wrote with a felt tip pen and it was a giant mess of blue ink.

He shouted in a very loud voice. "God dammit, mother of sweet Jesus."

Every missionary that was outside stopped talking and began staring at my companion. They couldn't believe what he had just said. Then their eyes fell upon me as if they were waiting for me to rebuke my missionary company for using such language.

So I looked at him and said. "Yes, dammit indeed. That's a whole week's worth of planning down the drain. Try to be more careful next time."

A few of them actually laughed.

Date: February 23, 2019 09:18PM

Funny story, Messy! Wish I had been there!

The worst thing about swearing is that the more you do it the harder it is to stop doing it when circumstances should require it. I wish I didn't but sometimes I just do.

I love the answers on this topic! Thanks for posting it, Kathleen!

Posted by: OxymormonNLI ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 09:20PM

When I was a TBM, it always bothered me when someone would use the Lord’s name in vain; I mean the actual name. Ow that I’m atheist, I delight in it! Hopefully offending all who hear. Just the other day I let forth: “Sweet Wounded Bleeding Jesus!” And got some shocked looks. It feels good.

Date: February 23, 2019 10:47PM

When I was in I occasionally socialized with a TBM and if I forgot and said God or Jesus Christ she would say “oh is he here?” It was so annoying!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2019 10:48PM by mel.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 24, 2019 08:08AM

I cuss a great deal when I'm by myself, once in a while with close colleagues, and virtually never elsewhere.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 11:10AM

My wife likes to tell people that "poopy-head" is her term of endearment for me, and that she calls me "shit-head" when wants me to know how much she really loves me.

I've programmed my Google Home to call me "shit-head". My wife likes to ask it what my name is when new missionaries come over. Some of the missionaries will do the same when they introduce us to their new companions.

Elder Redneck used my Google Home to call me a shit-head after I teased him during a recent dinner. I'm afraid I've corrupted both him and his companion.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 11:28AM

Usually only when I'm driving. I say (yell) fucktard A LOT when I'm driving.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 01:22PM

Yes. A lot. My wife doesn't like it but fuck it. :oD

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 26, 2019 05:48PM

The Stranger: There's just one thing, Dude.

The Dude: And what's that?

The Stranger: Do you have to use so many cuss words?

The Dude: What the fuck you talking about?

The Stranger: Okay, Dude. Have it your way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efZQhYu1E5s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2019 05:49PM by fossilman.

Date: February 27, 2019 03:07PM

Damn this has been a great thread! Thanks for posting, Kathleen!

:) :) :)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 27, 2019 03:27PM

I do curse like a sailor at times, but I try to watch it since I teach school and dropping the F bomb is not acceptable. I had a little two year old nephew who was slow to talk. I took him trick or treating and tried in vain to get him to say 'trick or treat' and 'thank you' . He could have done it but wouldnt. He was good at non verbal communication and didn't see the necessity of using words except on rare occasions when he felt like it. A few days later Iwas baby sitting and scraped my foot badly. Without thinking of my audience, I yelled the F bomb. DN came up behind me and repeated it clearly with a proud smile on his face. Lol. That had to be the time he decided to use his words.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 07:25PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 27, 2019 04:39PM

Is this thread still fucking going on???

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: February 27, 2019 11:11PM

A lot when I'm by myself. Sometimes through text with certain people or in a social group where people are.

Very very rarely at work. Once I said damn I think and my coworkers were shocked.

Im not that into the regular cussing. I like to say unique or out of use swears.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: February 27, 2019 11:23PM

ever cuss!? There's no #&%#$!! way I would ever do such a $%^&#! thing.

Actually, I have about 5 or 6 different 10-word "live streaming" cuss strings that I often resort to whenever: (1) I drop something by accident; (2) Stub my #$^&%!! toe; (3) See someone doing something extremely stupid in traffic; or (4) Generally get into any kind of very frustrating conundrum or pickle.

Sometimes I get it up to a good 20-word stream.

It's even worse in my internal monologue. I'm trying to tone-down the internal monologue because I've found over the years that if you get into the habit of cussing on the inside...eventually it comes out on the outside, when you're least expressing it.

One time I gave a ride to the airport to a guy I knew, who happened to be a pastor at a church. I parked to let him out, but before I could get out, some lady backed right into my car. Reflexively, I let loose with a really nice 15-word cursing string...and then realized that I was saying it all on the outside instead of on the inside. The pastor guy just stared at me in shock. It was awkward.

Date: February 27, 2019 11:26PM

.... beware the inner voice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.